New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-06-2007, 01:31 PM   #1
Trace
Registered
Rep

Drives: Silver Bullet

MOMO/Sparco Steering Wheels?

Am I the only one that notice MOMO/Sparco steering wheels are not popular aftermarket parts now-a-days?

I'm from the old school, and I saw a lot of cars (with and without airbags) specifically with MOMO wheels installed. I had MOMO wheel on my Datsun 510. In my opinion, completed the feel and look of a race car. However, with airbags becoming standard on all vehicles (safety first) less people are swapping their OEM wheels. Every car show I've attended, only saw few cars with MOMOs/Sparco wheels, the rest kept OEM - looked pretty funny considering every other parts were modified, did not complete the look IMO.

I haven't looked into the MOMO/Sparco product lines, but I'm certain they have new steering wheels available with airbags. So what is holding the car tuners (you) from upgrading to MOMO or Sparco steering wheels?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
IMO, unless it's a heavily modified track car, you won't find a BMW with an aftermarket wheel (besides Hamann or ACS, which keep the airbag intact).
Also keep in mind that with a BMW, you would lose the airbag, radio/bluetooth/idrive controls, and would probably be a pain to setup the paddle shifters for those guys with an automatic.

Sparco/MOMO wheels are more of a sport compact thing.
      12-06-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
Trace
Registered
Rep

Drives: Silver Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
IMO, unless it's a heavily modified track car, you won't find a BMW with an aftermarket wheel (besides Hamann or ACS, which keep the airbag intact).

Sparco/MOMO wheels are more of a sport compact thing.
I figured that was the case but at the same time I figured if the tuners are going all out (track or not), why stop at steering wheel. Even with Hamann or ACS wheels available, I seldom see guys installing those on their cars. Heck, why am I even trying to pitch a sale to you guys, I don't even work at Momo/Sparco. Must be the oldschool flu season for me.

The MOMO/Sparco wheels I saw at car show were installed on sport compact cars (Hondas/Toyotas mostly).
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
The reason you rarely see a Hamann or ACS wheel, is the price.
Most guys go with an M-tech or M3 wheel for a lot less.

I know it's difficult to tell in a pic, but those MOMO wheels you posted don't look good to me. I want something thicker.