BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-27-2014, 06:34 PM   #1
Ohiobrits
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

MAX oil level after BMW oil change

I got my oil changed at a local M certified BMW dealership about 10 days ago. It showed about a quarter of a quart LESS than full on the gauge cluster information display once I had driven a few miles. Thought this was a bit poor since I took it in for the oil change nicely topped off at the full mark. I was in a hurry so did not think too much more about it.

Anyway, about 10 days after the oil change the level gauge was still reading (consistently) at slightly below the full level when all of a sudden the level gauge starts reading MAX and a system warning is issued Same reading in the nav screen area with a message to call your SA for advice.

I ran the car (short runs) over the long weekend to make sure the sensor / car was not having a brain fart - it consistently still reads MAX once warmed up and having run through the measurement cycle.

So I sent my SA a message today to ask what to do next, this is his response:-

"With the temperature change outside this would be normal. We are to change the engine oil when the engine is hot for just this reason the engine oil viscosity changes> let me know if the starts requesting you add oil. Let me know if you require any other assistance."

Sounds like BS to me, the sensor waits until the oil is about 170F before starting to read / calculate oil level so what does ambient have to do with it? I have not looked up the specific properties of the oil, but suspect you would need a huge oil temp increase to register about a quarter of a quart volume increase even given the pretty large sump volume on the V8.

I'd expect numerous similar issues across the country around this time of the year if oil level /volume really was this ambient dependent. Anyone else had this issue, heard this yarn from a SA? SA right or wrong.....?
      05-27-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

SAs are not mechanics. They are sales guys who know a little bit about cars. I'm not saying this to knock them, just to be realistic.

My advice is to siphon some of the extra oil out of the oil filter housing and move on with your life. Don't bother raising a stink with the dealership over it.
      05-28-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
Ohiobrits
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Thanks dparm. I was just going to run it. I have it in writing to not worry about it so that was the plan. I don't think it can be much over max since it was reading below max for 10 days which was a different (new) reading from when I took it in.

Should I be worried?
      05-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #4
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

I wouldn't panic, but siphoning out some of the extra should only take a few minutes.