BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

03-31-2014, 05:03 PM   #1
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

Do we need to be changing any bushings on the e92 M3? (like RTAB for e46 M3?)

Put my summer wheels back on and over the last few days I have been noticing what feels like a very subtle side to side wobble in the rear end, usually when go over some bumps. The car just doesn't seem to settle quite as fast as I am used to.

It reminds me a little bit of when I had to replace the RTABs in my e46 M3. However, I do not see any maintenance reference to any bushings I need to be changing...

Any idea what I should be thinking here guys? I'm at about 55k miles.
      03-31-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

get an alignment. maybe your rear toe is out of spec.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Wobble could be anything...alignment, bent wheel, worn out mount, etc.
      04-02-2014, 11:24 PM   #4
Nautik
Captain
Rep

Ended up switching driver side front wheel to passenger and passenger to driver. That seemed to help some so I did the same thing to the back wheels. Seems to have solved the issue. I guess I swapped them when taking off my winter wheel set.

Apparently, although the Michelin PSS tires are asymmetrical, if you have almost 20,000 miles on them like I do they do not like being reversed. Must be some sort of minor wear pattern that was causing it.

By the way, these tires have been awesome. They last forever. 20,000 miles and still plenty of tread on the rear tires.

Anyway, glad it wasn't anything that required replacing car parts! Thanks for the heads up on the alignment, might as well get one done as it has been a little while.
      04-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #5
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautik View Post
Ended up switching driver side front wheel to passenger and passenger to driver. That seemed to help some so I did the same thing to the back wheels. Seems to have solved the issue. I guess I swapped them when taking off my winter wheel set.

Apparently, although the Michelin PSS tires are asymmetrical, if you have almost 20,000 miles on them like I do they do not like being reversed. Must be some sort of minor wear pattern that was causing it.

By the way, these tires have been awesome. They last forever. 20,000 miles and still plenty of tread on the rear tires.

Anyway, glad it wasn't anything that required replacing car parts! Thanks for the heads up on the alignment, might as well get one done as it has been a little while.
Wow good for you. Doubt mine will last till 20k, but if they do, I'd be ecstatic.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautik View Post

Think this is nok. because the tires have a run direction when you switching wheels from left to right they run in the wrong direction !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #7
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Think this is nok. because the tires have a run direction when you switching wheels from left to right they run in the wrong direction !
The Pilot Super Sport is NOT a directional tire. As long as the side marked "outside" is indeed facing outward, it doesn't matter which direction they go.

I have confirmed this with Discount Tire and Michelin.
      04-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
Nautik
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
The Pilot Super Sport is NOT a directional tire. As long as the side marked "outside" is indeed facing outward, it doesn't matter which direction they go.

I have confirmed this with Discount Tire and Michelin.
Yup, I had never noticed this in 20k miles except when I put them back on after a long winter on my winter wheel setup. I must have starred at the tire for 5 minutes trying to figure out where the rotation indicator was and it only said "outside".