BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

03-15-2014, 10:14 PM   #1
ZetaSeattle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 xDrive28i

New 50i - What a wait! Well worth it, but now I'm waiting again.

The first thing I want to do is say THANK YOU to all of the people on here that post regularly with great information and perspectives. I would not have felt as confident buying a first new model year without reading up!

The xDrive50i build:
  • [300] Alpine White
  • [ZMM] M-Sport
  • [ZCW] Cold Weather Package
  • [ZDB] Driver Assistance Plus
  • [ZDH] Dynamic Handling Package
  • [ZEC] Executive Package
  • [ZLP] Lighting Package
  • [ZMD] Mocha Interior Package
  • [2PW] 20" M Light Wheels 469M
  • [2VF] Adaptive M Suspension
  • [4FF] Comfort Rear Seats
  • [4NB] 4-Zone Automatic Climate Control

Highs
  • HUD is a must-have. This tech has come so far since I last drove a car with it. They do a great job of using that capability to provide essential info with speed, media and nav.
  • The 50i power is really impressive. This is a big vehicle and, damn, does it go.
  • Multi-Contour Seats. I have never had these. The ride home was 40 hours of driving and it was a blast!
  • I'll call out the Dynamic Handling Package here because I feel like a lot of people say it's only so-so. The ability to switch from super-comfy to super-planted is really rewarding when the road calls for it.

Lows
  • Oddly dim armrest lighting on passenger side
  • Steering wheel squeak!
  • iPod integration not as seamless as with my e90
  • Bluetooth with multiple devices can be clumsy.

Shopping
I looked at the Cayenne GTS as an alternative. Beautiful car and fun to drive, but my main reason for getting a new vehicle was to get more space than my e90 sedan and being 6'2" it didn't feel like much of an improvement.

Pricing & Purchasing
This is tricky because it's a new model year that still seems to be pretty difficult to get hands on (50i's anyway). I worked with several dealerships and found one that really made everything incredibly easy. This is my fourth BMW and by far my best experience. Small shout-out to Co's BMW in Loveland, CO. After working with "big box" dealers for so long, I can't say enough about working with a family-owned shop. Completely different.

Pick-up & Ride Home
We drove 1,300 miles to pick up this car and 1,300 miles home. Four of us made a road-trip of it visiting five states. As I noted above, the experience with the dealer was really fun (I almost got to test drive a i3, but I ran out of time!) and our visit to Colorado was great. The real story comes on the way home where we hit a 65mph windstorm in Wyoming assailing with BB-sized rocks. Jack-knifed semi's... one on fire. It was mayhem. When I got to a rest stop to assess the front of the car it was pretty disappointing. The car has been with a repair shop getting completely restored and will be in there for at least six weeks.

The only photos I have are the ones I took by phone at pick-up from the dealer. I plan to do a better shoot once it's repaired.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 10:16 PM   #2
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

Congrats on the delivery! I hope they fix it quickly.

There's a service bulletin for ambient light issues that might cover why your passenger side is dim.

And interesting notes on the Cayenne. We owned a Turbo S for some time. Great car, but the interiors always confused me with the number of buttons and switches. It was also a nightmare when we ordered it since there were literally about 200 different options. I'm glad we no longer have it and went back to BMW.

Last edited by wdimagineer; 03-15-2014 at 11:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 12:13 AM   #3
ZetaSeattle
Private First Class
Rep

I had the same reaction to both aspects of the Porsche you bring up. The controls were too numerous and only bested by the number of options.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 02:27 AM   #4
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Congrats, Beautiful Car, Sorry for the missfortune...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
DrivingMachine2014
Rep
Drives: 2012 Mercedes E350

Many congrats on the delivery! This is such a beauty!

P.S. About how much discount did you get for buying the car from out of state?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 07:22 PM   #6
jlee
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2CS+GTS Targa+RRS SVR

Question,

Did you have to add the 2VF Adaptive M Suspension has an option? I just ordered one and didn't see it, I did check off the Dynamic Suspension.

I also asked my dealer about it and he didn't see it on his side either.

I'm assuming its part of the M Sport package.

On the steering wheel squeak I had the same issue on my X5M early on, brought it in and they had to readjust the rack.

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 11:28 PM   #7
ZetaSeattle
Private First Class
Rep

Re: Price
There was no discount for buying out of state. In fact, I still have to pay WA state sales tax. CO's was much cheaper. It is a lease, though, so tax is only paid on payments. The deal was actually a few thousand below MSRP. Very fair in my opinion and the CA at Co's was so transparent it was an easy decision for me. I felt he was doing a great job of ensuring I was getting available credits (at the time) which is more than I can say for previous transactions.

Re: 2VF
On my build sheet it states ZDH (DHP) as $3,600 and 2VF (an option) as $900. I remember this being confusing because when building it out online it listed DHP as $4,500. I hope that helps. In short, no, I didn't have to specify it, but see above where I think my CA was really helpful and making sure I got everything I expected.
Appreciate 0