BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #1
brothfly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 i35D

iPhone Alert Sounds and iDrive

I posted another thread that I was not getting any sounds from my iPhone 5S when connected via BT to the iDrive. Since this is an Apple thing and not on the BMW, a google search has all iPhone users on all cars left with the same problem.
Well I think I have figured out how you can now get a Text, email any alert tone to sound from your iPhone.
Go into the iDrive menu
Telephone
Bluetooth
Find your connected iPhones name.
Highlight it by turning the iDrive knob
Then hit the Option button
Go to Configure device
You should see 3 choices.
Telephone 1
Telephone 2
Audio
UNCHECK the audio box
Now I'm doing this from memory from this morning, so I'm pretty sure this is the path and the names, but they could be off a tad.
But by unchecking the Audio, your phone will not stream music from iTunes or Pandora for example without you rechecking this box. But since this box is checked by default you will not get alert sounds while playing the radio. When you uncheck the Audio box you will get all the alert sounds, which BTW will come from the phone and not the car, so if your phone is in your pocket or not close you might not here them. Since I usually keep my phone in the cup holder I hear them fine.
Also if you do nothing and leave that Audio box checked and play iTunes or Pandora via the Media, then you do get the alerts through the cars speakers.
Anyway, hope this helps anyone out.
While I'm at it, I'm really digging how versatile the wide screen Nav display is.
Here is my fav setup with the use of the split screen.
Appreciate 0