BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-26-2014, 09:01 PM   #1
F15Diesel
Rep
Drives: F15 Diesel

Pandora Integration Question

Anyone else find the Pandora integration extremely poor? I use a snap in adapter but have to either

(A) Launch BMW Apps on Phone, Plug In (if not already selected), Select ConnectedDrive*on iDrive, (wait), then go to More Apps, select Pandora, go to Radio, Select Pandora
(B) Launch Pandora on phone, Plug In (longer wait) go to Radio, Select Pandora

I've programmed some of the preset buttons to make this a little easier but it's annoying. If I shut the car down next time I have to replicate it all again.

If I think move away from Pandora app on the iPhone it stops. Pretty poor integration. The integration in our $37K Honda Odyssey is*much easier to launch.

Is it a SUE (Stupid User Error) or is this actually how it works?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 11:24 PM   #2
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15Diesel View Post
Anyone else find the Pandora integration extremely poor? I use a snap in adapter but have to either

(A) Launch BMW Apps on Phone, Plug In (if not already selected), Select ConnectedDrive*on iDrive, (wait), then go to More Apps, select Pandora, go to Radio, Select Pandora
(B) Launch Pandora on phone, Plug In (longer wait) go to Radio, Select Pandora

I've programmed some of the preset buttons to make this a little easier but it's annoying. If I shut the car down next time I have to replicate it all again.

If I think move away from Pandora app on the iPhone it stops. Pretty poor integration. The integration in our $37K Honda Odyssey is*much easier to launch.

Is it a SUE (Stupid User Error) or is this actually how it works?
Not sure why the plug in part require a lengthy wait. The app needs to negotiate with idrive for around 20 seconds so its able to work correctly with the idrive system.

That is the way it works though. Its not ideal and needs a overhaul but the problem is even though things may be improved it always needs to be backwards compatible to work with older equipment found in older vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 11:40 PM   #3
texvette
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

I just hit pandora on the phone and Bluetooth goes from there.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 04:38 AM   #4
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

There are actually 3 different ways to use Pandora app that I am aware of (I use an iPhone 5S). This is while the phone is already plugged into the car.

1) BMW App (Gives full Pandora functionality)
Start ConnectedDrive -> Launch BMW App when iDrive tells you to -> Go to Additional Apps -> Select Pandora

2) Pandora App (Assuming you don't have BMW App or don't want to use it, and give full Pandora functionality)
Start ConnectedDrive -> Launch Pandora App when iDrive tells you to -> Select Pandora

3) Media Source (Gives limited Pandora functionality)
Select Multimedia -> Select Plug-In -> Launch Pandora

Technically, there's a fourth way using BT, but that' pretty much same as #3.

What I would've liked is to select Multimedia -> Plug-In -> Select iPod/iPhone (or external source) or Select Apps -> Pandora or Stitcher, etc. and give full functionality.

When a phone is connected iDrive should detect apps that iDrive supports, but this is not the case. We have to manually launch this from the phone, which sucks.

Z.
Appreciate 0