BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

02-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #1
jimk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Liqui Moly Cera Tec update on the M3

I just wanted to give an update to the forum members about my experience so far with the Liqui Moly Cera Tec additive. I don't work for Liqui Moly, I don't sell their stuff...I'm actually a cyber security consulting engineer with nothing to gain with this post.

I changed my oil about 600 miles ago and chose to go thinner but add an extra layer of protection. So I chose the Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 Euro (mainly because I had two cases of it in my shelf) vs. the German Castrol 0W-30 (I have about 5 cases of that) and added Cera Tec because after researching the technology behind it and weighing in the reputation of Liqui Moly, I thought it would be a safer alternative vs. the oil by itself. The recent rod bearing wear threads made that decision even easier. I am actually counting on it to reduce or even eliminate rod bearing wear on the M3 but only time will tell if that becomes a reality. So far, I have been very impressed on how freely my engine is revving and how quicker the throttle response is all the way to redline. I've recently went for a very spirited drive with several 8500 RPM sprints trying to keep up with my buddy's Galardo and I thought I was driving a different car! I was very impressed on how well I was able to keep up with the Lambo largely due to faster revving to redline. Lower friction, thinner oil? I don't know what it is but we were at altitude (7000-8000 ft) and the car revved like it was at sea level, on 91 octane gas. My buddy was impressed too and asked me if my M3 was "chipped". He didn't expect the M3 to be able to keep up with his beast. My car is 100% stock but I can tell there is a difference by the way it behaves with thinner oil and Cera Tec mix vs. with TWS.

Fuel consumption appears to be improved as well. I have not kept detail records to be 100% sure but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the fuel consumption was reduced during one of our regular trips. It is a 180 mile round trip up to Ft Collins and my M3 fuel consumption averaged 28 mpg in that trip at speeds of 60-85 mph. I have never seen the M3 average that before but I've never kept tracked of fuel economy on that trip either. My long drive from TX to CO last September with TWS averaged 19 mph but my driving then was much more aggressive. Time will tell but so far it looks impressive. I've only had about 600 miles on this oil mix on the M3 and at about 4K miles, I will send a sample to Blackstone and compare metals to my previous sample using TWS. I may actually do that a lot sooner, maybe at 2500 miles because of the high revving recent drives. I will update the forum with the results.

I was so pleased with the positive changes in the M3 that I have added Cera Tec to all my cars and I have been extremely pleased with how smooth all the engines are running and the increased fuel economy. On my 97 4runner winter beater, with 185,000 miles I think it has raised the compression because it starts faster. It now appears to start in 3-4 cranks vs. 5-6 before. I think this may be due to the microscopic ceramic modules coating the cylinder walls and filling cylinder scarring, thus increasing the compression and therefore faster starts.

Of course, I have no scientific proof that Cera Tec is working as advertised, this is my honest experience so far and I hope it stays as positive as it has been for miles to come. I can definitely tell there is a difference and I can also tell that my M3 and my other cars love this stuff. Time will tell.

For those interested to find more about Cera Tec, here's Liqui Moly's German site about Cera Tec but there are other sites discussing ceramic additives as well:

http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/p...oiladb=web.nsf

If would love to hear your opinions about Cera Tec and how it can benefit (or not) the M3. I also understand that internet forums are popular for people, vendors, etc. to sell products and services that Cera Tec may threaten (if proven that it works), but let's try to keep this thread sales neutral as much as possible.

Last edited by jimk; 02-23-2014 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #2
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Until you start getting back-to-back UOAs and establish baselines, much of it will be subjective. Keep us posted after some analyses come back.
      02-25-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I believe you are seeing the benefits of the thinner oil not so much of the additive. The only way to tell is if you run the same oil with and without the additive.
      02-27-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

I used a can of LM mos2 last time I changed oil with M1 0W40, hoping to beef up the anti-wear at startup/all condition. I didn't really see any fuel economy change, but my car is not burning oil...which is always a good thing when it comes to these high revving motors with loose piston rings.
Appreciate 0