BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-23-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

We'll we ever get the 50d in the States?

Or is it not NA emissions ready? Too close to F'15 X5m?

Both?
Other?

Does Europe get the 50d and M??
      02-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

Europe gets everything.

There's another thread on here discussing the M50d and possible reasons for it not coming over.

Count me on the list of people who would take one over the M in a heartbeat. But since it's likely not happening my X5 will be up for sale once the M is released.
      02-24-2014, 01:19 AM   #3
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
Europe gets everything.
Including insane car prices On a side-note: why would you get a M50d over a pure X5M? Most people compare it with E70 models, stating that: M50d is not that quick, does not handle that well, does not sound that well and is not a real M, just an M-gene. Which is totally true and also fine/enough for most people, but if you need it all and especially can afford it (imagine the EU X5M price with way higher emissions than a 3.0 diesel engine) - pure M is the only way to go. Especially in USA... you still have the luxury of cheap cars with proper engines.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 01:31 AM   #4
kip1
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen383 View Post
Including insane car prices On a side-note: why would you get a M50d over a pure X5M? Most people compare it with E70 models, stating that: M50d is not that quick, does not handle that well, does not sound that well and is not a real M, just an M-gene. Which is totally true and also fine/enough for most people, but if you need it all and especially can afford it (imagine the EU X5M price with way higher emissions than a 3.0 diesel engine) - pure M is the only way to go. Especially in USA... you still have the luxury of cheap cars with proper engines.
The reason Why I went for a "M" diesel is that it has many options Standard, So if You want a Well equipped Car, You Pay almost the same as a basic Car, but the resale value isbetter. You get consumption of a 30d With the Power of a 50i. Where I live the tax is based on co2, So the tax for the Future x5M is horrific, and for last the X5M is Also a SUV, honestly if You want a sportier Car, Why not Go for a Real Sportscar or a Better handling wagon, Like the MB E63 AMG S. I Think the M50d is the best combination of Both worlds.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 01:53 AM   #5
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen383 View Post
The reason Why I went for a "M" diesel is that it has many options Standard, So if You want a Well equipped Car, You Pay almost the same as a basic Car, but the resale value isbetter. You get consumption of a 30d With the Power of a 50i. Where I live the tax is based on co2, So the tax for the Future x5M is horrific, and for last the X5M is Also a SUV, honestly if You want a sportier Car, Why not Go for a Real Sportscar or a Better handling wagon, Like the MB E63 AMG S. I Think the M50d is the best combination of Both worlds.
Exactly. Best of both worlds.

But for us in the US it remains forbidden fruit. As do many other types of vehicles. It's too expensive to offer every model and engine here. And the rarer models that do make it, like the Audi RS cars, all end up being overpriced and marked up to make up for it.
      02-24-2014, 02:48 AM   #6
Scho18
Rep
Drives: M5, M850i conv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
Europe gets everything.

There's another thread on here discussing the M50d and possible reasons for it not coming over.

Count me on the list of people who would take one over the M in a heartbeat. But since it's likely not happening my X5 will be up for sale once the M is released.
Frankly, I don't understand the whole fuss about the M50d. I had a 30sd (286 diesel hp) for 4 years and believe me, the difference between my car and the M50d is very small. To be honest, I found the M50d quite boring and that is why I have ordered a 50i. I agree, on paper both cars (50d and 50i) look equal, but the difference in driving and emotions is huge.

My dealer just told me that he sold a 50d but the customer came back shortly afterwards in order to replace it/order with a 50i... apparently, the customer said it was just boring as hell. Torque is nice but not everything.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 03:06 AM   #7
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

For me it just comes down to something different. The technology appeals to me like the tri-turbo setup. And I wouldn't mind having a diesel car in my stable that comes close to my old V10 TDI Touareg. That car could practically reverse the planet's rotation.

I've never driven one and I'll reserve judgment until I do. But something about it just appeals to me greatly.

Of course once the new X5 M comes out I'll probably forget about it.
      02-24-2014, 03:59 AM   #8
Scho18
Rep

I can see where you are coming from and I agree with you in many ways.

Again, the 30sd was a great car, very reliable and comfortable for highway's. Also we made a lot of trips in Europe and the car always brought us home safe without any issues. However, the car was emotionless after a couple of years. Diesel in Europe is very popular because of lower fuel prices compared to gasoline. Whereas Switzerland is different as Diesel is more expensive than gas and you need to keep the car for a long time or drive long distances in order to benefit from Diesel.

I am sure many in Europe would change to gas if Diesel would be more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 05:56 AM   #9
kip1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scho18 View Post
Frankly, I don't understand the whole fuss about the M50d. I had a 30sd (286 diesel hp) for 4 years and believe me, the difference between my car and the M50d is very small. To be honest, I found the M50d quite boring and that is why I have ordered a 50i. I agree, on paper both cars (50d and 50i) look equal, but the difference in driving and emotions is huge.

My dealer just told me that he sold a 50d but the customer came back shortly afterwards in order to replace it/order with a 50i... apparently, the customer said it was just boring as hell. Torque is nice but not everything.
A gasoline Engine always gives you more emotion than a diesel one, if not for anything else, the sound wins it for the 50i, however, on measured accelerations in the 5 series or x5, I haven't seen that the 50i would be significantly faster even at higher speeds. At lower speeds they are close, and since these cars are never tracked (except on a winter ice track BMW event I am attending in 2 weeks), it is all that matters, because in my experience the gasoline engine consumption also in the real world is about 50% more. As you have cheap gas it doesn't matter to you, but our prices and tax system make the 50d a charm. It also has a much better range thanks to the low consumption. The turbo system causes it to accelerate without big emotions, but from the Speedo you see that its is fast. I also think that the M50d chassis is not the same as the Msport chassis (correct me if I am wrong) as I believe it has a wider rear track. Anyway, for emotions I would buy a true sportscar, I never thought I would buy a SUV, but that's what kids do to you. I think we make choices based on our unique needs, so there are a lot of different views on this matter, but I also think the M50d would be an instant hit. I was actually hoping to buy the upcoming Audi q7 with the plugin hybrid 3.0 diesel engine and save even more on fuel, but get the extra power from the electricity, but sadly I need a bigger car for the family asap.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 06:09 AM   #10
Scho18
Rep

@kip1: I agree with your statement. Gas is not really "cheap" in Switzerland compared to the US, or even better, the UAE, but we are likely the only country in Western Europe where gas is cheaper than Diesel.

The question for me is how you are going to use your car. If the 50i (on order) would be a daily driver, I might have considered the M50d.

However, regarding the true sports car for the emotions, I still have my 997 4s with PDK...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 12:55 AM   #11
kip1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scho18 View Post
@kip1: I agree with your statement. Gas is not really "cheap" in Switzerland compared to the US, or even better, the UAE, but we are likely the only country in Western Europe where gas is cheaper than Diesel.

The question for me is how you are going to use your car. If the 50i (on order) would be a daily driver, I might have considered the M50d.

However, regarding the true sports car for the emotions, I still have my 997 4s with PDK...
I Think You Will love Your 50i Porsche, excellent choice for Fun!
Appreciate 0