BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

02-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #1
vastano
Captain
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

DCT Fluid change, 4qts out, 2.5 in?

I changed my DCT fluid this weekend. When I drained it, a little over 4 quarts came out. When I tried to fill it, ~2 quarts went back in. I leveled the car, ran it at 2,000rpm for a minute, then let it cool off. After this I could only get another .5 quart in.

I've driven the car the past day trying to get the fluid to get through all the passages and was going to attempt to put more fluid in it tonight.

Has anyone else had similar issues? What are the chances the fluid was overfilled from the factory?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #2
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Not sure about dct but my diff was way overfilled. I took the top plug out first and the fluid just poured out. All over my arm, floor you name it. So I guess it is possible for sure.
      02-10-2014, 08:52 AM   #3
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

That's really weird. When I had mine changed late last year they got 4 quarts out and put 4 quarts in.

How do you know that 4 quarts came out? Did you measure it?

Also, did you replace the filter?
      02-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
vastano
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
Not sure about dct but my diff was way overfilled. I took the top plug out first and the fluid just poured out. All over my arm, floor you name it. So I guess it is possible for sure.
I also removed the fill plug before the drain plug but none came out. When I unscrewed the drain plug, it made a big mess and fluid went everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

im not sure how you over fill a diff doesnt it have an overfill. well when filling it up it still start to drip out when its full.

so how do you overfill it? unless its not level to the ground. maybe DCT is different.
      02-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
vastano
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
That's really weird. When I had mine changed late last year they got 4 quarts out and put 4 quarts in.

How do you know that 4 quarts came out? Did you measure it?

Also, did you replace the filter?
I had a drain pan to catch the DCT fluid and poured it into an old oil container when it finished draining.

I did not change the filter.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastano View Post
I changed my DCT fluid this weekend. When I drained it, a little over 4 quarts came out. When I tried to fill it, ~2 quarts went back in. I leveled the car, ran it at 2,000rpm for a minute, then let it cool off. After this I could only get another .5 quart in.

I've driven the car the past day trying to get the fluid to get through all the passages and was going to attempt to put more fluid in it tonight.

Has anyone else had similar issues? What are the chances the fluid was overfilled from the factory?
On page 2 of SI B28 03 08 it says "open the filler plug again (with the engine running)"

Read this thread (important post #4 & 5) includes the PDF directions.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...t+fluid+change

Be sure to follow the directions or you will not have the correct fluid level.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #8
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
im not sure how you over fill a diff doesnt it have an overfill. well when filling it up it still start to drip out when its full.

so how do you overfill it? unless its not level to the ground. maybe DCT is different.
Right side was jacked up but left wasn't.

Even not changing the filter you would think put the same back in. Unsettling because you really don't have a clue where you are now
      02-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #9
vastano
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwelch View Post
On page 2 of SI B28 03 08 it says "open the filler plug again (with the engine running)"

Read this thread (important post #4 & 5) includes the PDF directions.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...t+fluid+change

Be sure to follow the directions or you will not have the correct fluid level.
so the car isnt supposed to be cool when you try and put the remainder of fluid in? this should be fun considering the exhaust runs right by the fill hole...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 06:36 PM   #10
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
so the car isnt supposed to be cool when you try and put the remainder of fluid in? this should be fun considering the exhaust runs right by the fill hole...
Wrong!
Go back and read step #2 in the directions.
"Make sure that the transmission is at ambient temperature (engine should not be warmed up)."
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 06:42 PM   #11
The Nash
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3; 2006 325xi

Maybe it wasn't thirsty at the time
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 08:00 PM   #12
vastano
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Wrong!
Go back and read step #2 in the directions.
"Make sure that the transmission is at ambient temperature (engine should not be warmed up)."
So tonight, the tranny was totally cool and when I took out the fill plug and fluid came out. I replugged it, started the car, revved it to 2k for 1 minute, unscrewed the fill plug and was able to get a quart of fluid in.

So in conclusion, 4 quarts originally came out and 3.5 are in. I'm happy with that. The car was driving strangely earlier today (hard shifts from 1->2) but that seems to have been fixed now.

Last edited by vastano; 02-11-2014 at 06:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 08:29 PM   #13
Ging
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m3

Did you check the level with the engine running? Plus you should find a shop to run the test plan for oil Adjustment and teach in valve curves makes the trans feel amazing. The picture is of the Autologic I use.. also the bmw GT1 some private shop might have.

Quote:
So tonight, the tranny was totally cool and when I took out the fill plug and fluid came out. I rep lugged it, started the car, revved it to 2k for 1 minute, unscrewed the fill plug and was able to get a quart of fluid in.

So in conclusion, 4 quarts originally came out and 3.5 are in. I'm happy with that. The car was driving strangely earlier today (hard shifts from 1->2) but that seems to have been fixed now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 06:26 AM   #14
vastano
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ging View Post
Did you check the level with the engine running? Plus you should find a shop to run the test plan for oil Adjustment and teach in valve curves makes the trans feel amazing. The picture is of the Autologic I use.. also the bmw GT1 some private shop might have.
I guess you could say I 'checked' it. In other words, unscrewed the fill plug while the engine was running...

Would the Bavarian Auto tool have this functionality?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #15
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ging View Post

Interesting, haven't seen that. What does the "teach" functionality do, exactly? I don't believe the shop did this on mine when the fluid was changed.
      02-11-2014, 10:08 PM   #16
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, haven't seen that. What does the "teach" functionality do, exactly? I don't believe the shop did this on mine when the fluid was changed.
The Pressure Valve Learning is not required for the oil change.
If certain service procedures were completed beyond the oil change or the transmission needed the test plan then it would be done.

There are two Piezo pressure sensors one for each clutch. The electronic pressure control valves convert an electric current specified by the DKG control module into a proportional hydraulic pressure. The electronic pressure control valves operate the valves that belong to the shift elements.
See below from the technical manual.

"Learning the valve characteristic curves on the twin-clutch transmission.

With the service function 'learn valve characteristic curves', the reference points of the valves are activated and the associated pressure is measured; the values are stored in the EEPROM.
The service function 'learn valve characteristic curve' must be carried out after the following tasks:
• Replacing the clutch
• Replacing the mechatronics
• Replacing the oil pump
• Replacing the DKG combined sensor
The service function 'learn valve characteristic curves' runs automatically. Duration: approx. 2 minutes. The instructions of the BMW diagnosis system must be followed without fail, as this is the only to ensure a correct operation.
The following environmental conditions must prevail when learning the valve characteristic curve:
• The engine must be running
• Parking brake activated
• Gear selector switch in position N
Sequence of the service function:
• Check of the environmental conditions
• Start learning valve characteristic curves (automatic sequence, no other intervention by the operator is necessary). The reference points of valves PV1 and PV2 are activated in succession. The corresponding pressure is measured in the clutches. The values determined are then stored in the EEPROM.
• Termination of the service function after successful completion
• In the event of faults, the service function is repeated"
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 10:37 PM   #17
Ging
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m3

its not mandatory but i find it makes them feel better. the "teach" test plan starts with the car stationary in N and holding rpm at 2000rpm then it builds trans line pressure and starts activating the valves for the first clutch and second clutch packs. viewing there characteristic. the old SMG trans has more test plans options but again only is you replace parts or needed to bleed the system after repair. doing a couple select ones made start off clutch engagement speed and overall driving feel smoother anything to help them out.

Quote:

Last edited by Ging; 02-11-2014 at 10:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 12:04 PM   #18
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Interesting, thanks. I remember something like that being popular for the SMGs to resolve clunking or slow shifting. Sounds like I probably didn't need it (51k when the fluid was changed). If I did want to have it performed, is this common for shops or is it really a dealer-only thing? Does the car need to get up on the lift, or are they doing it purely through the diagnostic port?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #19
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, thanks. I remember something like that being popular for the SMGs to resolve clunking or slow shifting. Sounds like I probably didn't need it (51k when the fluid was changed). If I did want to have it performed, is this common for shops or is it really a dealer-only thing? Does the car need to get up on the lift, or are they doing it purely through the diagnostic port?
Requires equipment connected to the diagnostic port with the correct tool software following the instructions in my post above. No lift is required for the valve learn.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #20
terahertz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 AW

Quote:
Requires equipment connected to the diagnostic port with the correct tool software following the instructions in my post above. No lift is required for the valve learn.
Can INPA or ISTA/D perform the learn?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 06:42 PM   #21
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by terahertz View Post
Can INPA or ISTA/D perform the learn?
INPA does not