BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

BPM

12-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 m3

installing front splitter & rear diffuser

Hey all, just picked up a very nice cf set of the above. Was wondering if anyone had any tips/advice for installing this type of splitter. I've seen a nice post of the BMW small splitters, but not of the full front lip.

I was thinking about just taping it in place with some 3M auto tape, but I'm worried that won't be enough to hold it. It's very light but with the downforce on it, maybe it won't last? Don't want it flying off @ the track lol. There aren't pre drilled holes and I'd really rather not start drilling holes in my bumper

The rear diffuser seems easy as it has holes ready to mount to the existing points on the rear bumper.

Any pointers much appreciated! Here's the one I've got:
      12-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Are there no mounting holes? My splitters would take in place with 3M tape only so I'm not worried about them flying off, but since they are replicas, they don't fit 100% perfectly. So some areas, the tape starts peeling from bumper and it looks terrible.

Same with rear diffuser. So I'm going to take them off and redo them. I also recommend having a friend helping you. Kind of difficult to line things up perfectly without with the tape on such big pieces.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Are there no mounting holes? My splitters would take in place with 3M tape only so I'm not worried about them flying off, but since they are replicas, they don't fit 100% perfectly. So some areas, the tape starts peeling from bumper and it looks terrible.

Same with rear diffuser. So I'm going to take them off and redo them. I also recommend having a friend helping you. Kind of difficult to line things up perfectly without with the tape on such big pieces.
yeah the front splitter isn't very big/deep, so no holes pre drilled. My neighbour has a lift I might borrow, will make installing much easier! The diffuser has holes so I'm less worried about that. It's really the front that's tricky.
      12-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I would definitely not trust either piece to be held on with only tape.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Looked more closely, looks like there's totally some screws in the bumper already I should be able to use in conjunction with the tape. Any tips on what drill bit & speed to use to avoid cracking the cf?