BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

11-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
freckls
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93

BMW Advanced Battery Charger

Just bought a 2013 E93. (I'm 64 yrs old & it's the first new car I have ever owned) Since winter is on the horizon I expect the car will stay garaged for extended periods. Due to some electronics running 24/7 the battery will need to be maintained. Since a trickle charger is not an option I was hoping to get the BMW Advanced Battery Charger but when I go to the BMW website they claim this charger is not compatible with an E93. It is only intended for E90 / E92. My primitive research indicates all three cars have an AGM battery so why isn't this charger compatible with an E93? If not, what charging method do I use? Let it run for an hour every few days?

Your help in this matter will be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Why not get a Battery Tender Plus? It's well regarded and can 'float' the battery, which is the safer form of trickle charging. You can get it from various auto parts stores for around $30.

Letting the car idle to keep the battery charged is not the greatest idea.
      11-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

I think that i have the best solution for charging the battery...
Check out my pics and comment of # 26 on this page >http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=872785&page=2
And what do you think about this system ?

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
freckls
Rep

Thank you dparm & MPower-Belgium for your help. I will check out the battery tender and the CTek charger. Good of you to take the time to reply.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
quadpipes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 IB,'16 F22 M235i EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Why not get a Battery Tender Plus? It's well regarded and can 'float' the battery, which is the safer form of trickle charging. You can get it from various auto parts stores for around $30.
+1.

I have used the Battery Tender Plus extensively and have found it to be very reliable. Here it is;

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...ry+tender+plus

It is identical in appearance to the BMW system, so I would not be surprised if they were one in the same. Why you were told the system was not compatible with your E93 is a bit of a mystery...

Hope this helps and good luck! Nice dog...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadpipes View Post
+1.

It is identical in appearance to the BMW system, so I would not be surprised if they were one in the same. Why you were told the system was not compatible with your E93 is a bit of a mystery...

Hope this helps and good luck! Nice dog...

It IS exactly the same. The vents on top and LEDs in front are in identical positions, and the shape/proportions are identical as well.
      11-21-2013, 06:33 AM   #7
freckls
Rep

Battery Charger

Thank you quadpipes. According to BMW, the reason their charger was deemed incompatible with the E93 is this: originally it charged through the cigarette lighter (not any more) but the lighter is inoperative when the car is shut off, so charger is useless. BMW says now that is uses alligator clips there is no incompatibility problem. I don't know if this is true but this is what they claim.

I purchased the BMW charger at the dealer. When I opened it up, the paperwork was marked "Delran Battery Tender Chargers" so you are ABSOLUTELY correct. Having the BMW logo on my charger cost me about $25. Other than that it's the same machine as the Battery Tender.

Thank you for your guidance. And your comment on my dog.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
quadpipes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 IB,'16 F22 M235i EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckls View Post
Thank you quadpipes. According to BMW, the reason their charger was deemed incompatible with the E93 is this: originally it charged through the cigarette lighter (not any more) but the lighter is inoperative when the car is shut off, so charger is useless. BMW says now that is uses alligator clips there is no incompatibility problem. I don't know if this is true but this is what they claim.

I purchased the BMW charger at the dealer. When I opened it up, the paperwork was marked "Delran Battery Tender Chargers" so you are ABSOLUTELY correct. Having the BMW logo on my charger cost me about $25. Other than that it's the same machine as the Battery Tender.

Thank you for your guidance. And your comment on my dog.
You are welcome. I have used the Battery Tender exclusively with the terminals under the hood, never the lighter socket.

I also recommend the extension cables;

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...=pd_sim_auto_1

This way you can thread the cable down thru the engine compartment and out the side and be able to completely close the hood.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0