BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
SDS135
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i M Sport

Catless DPs /w PE + Y-Pipe

Anyone in the GTA running catless dps and an aftermarket exhaust (assuming the answer is yes)?

Right now I'm running the PE + Y-Pipe with stock dps and n54 mids (minus the resonator).

Looking to install VRSF 3" DPs, I want to know how much louder it will be. Love the sound of my current set-up and I could tolerate a little more but I don't want the car to sound like a riced out civic.

I want to know if anyone has something similar to my proposed set up and would share their thoughts and a sound clip.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
J-Rod
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDS135 View Post
Anyone in the GTA running catless dps and an aftermarket exhaust (assuming the answer is yes)?

Right now I'm running the PE + Y-Pipe with stock dps and n54 mids (minus the resonator).

Looking to install VRSF 3" DPs, I want to know how much louder it will be. Love the sound of my current set-up and I could tolerate a little more but I don't want the car to sound like a riced out civic.

I want to know if anyone has something similar to my proposed set up and would share their thoughts and a sound clip.

Thanks
WoW I was about to start this thread myself!!! Doing exactly the same setup, but I still haven't installed the Y-Pipe. Waiting on the VSRFs to get here and install to decide wether to delete resonator or not.
      10-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
SDS135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Too bad you're not in Toronto haha!

I already got the pe n y pipe so I don't want take a step back. Hoping the dps don't make the sound unbearable... Hoping someone has already done it haha
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
I am not local but here's what I noticed after installing my DPs after the car already had the PE.

1. A bit more drone
2. A bit more bark in the power band (4k-5.5k)
3. A lot more pops,burbles,gurgles(whatever onomatopoeia you would like to call it) on downshifts and upshifts
4. Turbo spool will be more audible along with a whoosh noise since the PE isn't a terrible loud exhaust
5. Cold starts were the only really dramatic change, took a little getting used to when starting the car in the garage.

Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
J-Rod
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I am not local but here's what I noticed after installing my DPs after the car already had the PE.

1. A bit more drone
3. A lot more pops,burbles,gurgles(whatever onomatopoeia you would like to call it) on downshifts and upshifts
4. Turbo spool will be more audible along with a whoosh noise since the PE isn't a terrible loud exhaust
5. Cold starts were the only really dramatic change, took a little getting used to when starting the car in the garage.

Hope that helps
Thanks for chiming in! By the way, it's been a few years since I've heard the term "onomatopeia"! LOL Never thought of using it when talking about an exhaust! Just thought I'd leave it with Edgar Allan Poe and the likes...LOL
      10-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
Thanks for chiming in! By the way, it's been a few years since I've heard the term "onomatopeia"! LOL Never thought of using it when talking about an exhaust! Just thought I'd leave it with Edgar Allan Poe and the likes...LOL
No worries, it seemed an appropriate word to use

That combination is very clean. I highly recommend it.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
SDS135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom

1. A bit more drone

Hope that helps
Great feedback man, much appreciated! It would be nice to hear a sound clip! Any way to make that happened!?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #8
fredy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDS135 View Post
Great feedback man, much appreciated! It would be nice to hear a sound clip! Any way to make that happened!?
x2
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #9
SDS135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone in the GTA for catless n aftermarket exhaust!?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
ASPEC135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: sideways always

I'm in GTA. Running catless DP, stock n54 mids, no Y-pipe, and PE.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #11
J-Rod
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASPEC135i View Post
I'm in GTA. Running catless DP, stock n54 mids, no Y-pipe, and PE.
How's that setup? Loud, drone, rasp? Thanks!!!
      10-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #12
ASPEC135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: sideways always

My first exhaust mod was golf-tee mod. Noticed a sound difference for roughly 2 days, then gotten used to it.

My next mod was downpipes. Definately improves throttle response and that "the turbos don't have to work as hard to churn out the power" (that may be a placebo effect)

With golf-tee mod and dp, I was already satisfied with the exhaust tone - it was "loud" and "deep" enough for increased performance sound and for some to notice on the road; added driving pleasure; all while staying very compliant for daily driving.

I then came across a PE and bought it, seeing how there was so much hype for it on the forums. I've only installed the PE, without the Y-pipe. The exhaust feels slightly more free-flowing; tone got slightly deeper; volume has increase less than ~10%. It's only louder and has a slightly different tone than original exhaust above 3700rpm - as another member has said above, "more bark in the midrange above 4K".

Cold start is a LOT louder. It BOOMS on start, and when cruising gently away while still not fully warmed up, what used to be "pops burbles, and gurgles", has now become "PAHs, POWs, and !!!POPs!!!" - sounds pretty badass I must say. It 100% turns the heads of car enthusiasts in parking lots.

No droning whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #13
J-Rod
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASPEC135i View Post
My first exhaust mod was golf-tee mod. Noticed a sound difference for roughly 2 days, then gotten used to it.

My next mod was downpipes. Definately improves throttle response and that "the turbos don't have to work as hard to churn out the power" (that may be a placebo effect)

With golf-tee mod and dp, I was already satisfied with the exhaust tone - it was "loud" and "deep" enough for increased performance sound and for some to notice on the road; added driving pleasure; all while staying very compliant for daily driving.

I then came across a PE and bought it, seeing how there was so much hype for it on the forums. I've only installed the PE, without the Y-pipe. The exhaust feels slightly more free-flowing; tone got slightly deeper; volume has increase less than ~10%. It's only louder and has a slightly different tone than original exhaust above 3700rpm - as another member has said above, "more bark in the midrange above 4K".

Cold start is a LOT louder. It BOOMS on start, and when cruising gently away while still not fully warmed up, what used to be "pops burbles, and gurgles", has now become "PAHs, POWs, and !!!POPs!!!" - sounds pretty badass I must say. It 100% turns the heads of car enthusiasts in parking lots.

No droning whatsoever.
Holy crap this is exactly, step by step what I've done. And it's what I wanted to hear from someone running this setup! Thanks for the feedback! I'll be getting the DPs soon and probably leaving not installing the Y-Pipe as I don;t want drone and/or any rasp.
      10-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #14
SDS135
First Lieutenant
Rep

Awesome feedback ASPEC appreciate you taking the time to let us know your thoughts!

Since I've already got the y pipe installed, might as well just keep it in. Once I get the dps in, I'll be sure to get a write a review and post a sound clip!
Appreciate 0