06-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
Wrotwro7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 IB M3 / 2013 SG M5

Leg room opinion

Opinion time.

Let's forget about the front seats. I can land a plane in the front if I put the seats all the way back at which point I can't reach the accelerator. The rear seats, well not so much.

I often wonder why the trunk (boot for our Euro kin) can haul several donkeys, a futon, and partially upright tent, but I can't put a 3 year old in the back without causing knee injury or ramming my knees into the dash in the front to split the difference.

What I have found is that I really can't transport comfortably 4 average size adults. Inevitably someone gets to know the back of the seat or dash very well. The ride for 2 is great, but there are 4 doors on the car and I usually save the trunk for people that make one of my "special" lists.

So lets hear it. Enough room back there? I vote no. How does the 5 compare to other sedans for leg room?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

I am also surprised that the backseats are not as big as I expect for a 5 series. One thing though, our front seats are pretty "thick" comparing to other vehicles in similar size. I probably will never end up sitting in the back myself, so, it does not bother me as much.
      06-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrotwro7 View Post
Opinion time.

Let's forget about the front seats. I can land a plane in the front if I put the seats all the way back at which point I can't reach the accelerator. The rear seats, well not so much.

I often wonder why the trunk (boot for our Euro kin) can haul several donkeys, a futon, and partially upright tent, but I can't put a 3 year old in the back without causing knee injury or ramming my knees into the dash in the front to split the difference.

What I have found is that I really can't transport comfortably 4 average size adults. Inevitably someone gets to know the back of the seat or dash very well. The ride for 2 is great, but there are 4 doors on the car and I usually save the trunk for people that make one of my "special" lists.

So lets hear it. Enough room back there? I vote no. How does the 5 compare to other sedans for leg room?
For you sir, I then suggest the 2015 BMW ///M7.

Enough room for that baby seat and enough power that people will still respect the badge on the boot lid.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

The multi-contour seats take a LOT of leg room out of the rear. The F30 with normal seats has more leg room than the back of an F10 with multicontours.

As the parent of two toddlers, it's tight for such a LARGE car.

What's insane is that the 6GC is longer but has LESS rear leg room.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
The multi-contour seats take a LOT of leg room out of the rear. The F30 with normal seats has more leg room than the back of an F10 with multicontours.

As the parent of two toddlers, it's tight for such a LARGE car.

What's insane is that the 6GC is longer but has LESS rear leg room.
Also placing the engine fully behind the axle to optimize handling takes a lot of space. You don't have this issue in an Audi.

The price of race bred engineering.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Also placing the engine fully behind the axle to optimize handling takes a lot of space. You don't have this issue in an Audi.

The price of race bred engineering.
+69

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
Wrotwro7
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
Quote:
Opinion time.

Enough room for that baby seat and enough power that people will still respect the badge on the boot lid.
Seems the cars get bigger, weight maxes, power goes up, problems come in buckets, but room for people goes down. Yet I can't wait to drive it. Doh!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Opinion time.

It has more room than my 535 did but barely. If you sit behind me, I have to pull my seat up. I am 6'4" so there isn't much room behind me. If my wife sits in the front, she leaves OK leg room behind her. If my 6'7" son sits in the front, the people in back are cramped. Interestingly, my son sat in back behind my wife and said he had adequate space. So I think it depends on how big you are and how big your passengers are. I would think for people shorter than 6', there is adequate space for 4 adults.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post

Wait is this for real? Im still adjusting to how big the M5 is!
      06-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Figuring out how to optimize interior space may be a better area of collaboration for BMWs partnership with Toyota than sports cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Figuring out how to optimize interior space may be a better area of collaboration for BMWs partnership with Toyota than sports cars.

You should be down on 6th street if you are still in Austin tonight.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #12
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
You should be down on 6th street if you are still in Austin tonight.
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I'm currently at 36.000 feet en-route to Miami.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #13
kiwistu
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: Black F82 M3

Heaps of room in the M5

Only problem I have is getting the mud off the back of seats after my 7 year has been in the car....then I worked out it was the full leather on the back of seats not a plastic molding like my previous M3!

Talk about 1st world problems...I actually laughed out loud. Sh8t man what has world come too...

Cheers
stu
      06-06-2013, 11:57 PM   #14
UNC M5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 Alpine While

We don't sit back there too much, but the kids fit fine in their car seats, except that they keep kicking the seats. They hate sitting back there as they always feel sick since the seats are low and they can't see well out the window. The rear seats are extremely luxurious and what a waste to have car seats in my rear heated seats! I love my front drivers seat as it fits me like it was made for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 12:05 AM   #15
DarthColin
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw
Quote:
Opinion time.

It has more room than my 535 did but barely. If you sit behind me, I have to pull my seat up. I am 6'4" so there isn't much room behind me. If my wife sits in the front, she leaves OK leg room behind her. If my 6'7" son sits in the front, the people in back are cramped. Interestingly, my son sat in back behind my wife and said he had adequate space. So I think it depends on how big you are and how big your passengers are. I would think for people shorter than 6', there is adequate space for 4 adults.
I'm 6'7, and I choose to sit in the back seats for this very reason most of the time. (Of any vehicle.)
      06-07-2013, 01:15 AM   #16
Wrotwro7
Private
United_States
Rep

I'll give it a go. Tall in back, short in front and "special"'passengers to the trunk. Plus I can always order a roof rack...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #17
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Opinion time.
So lets hear it. Enough room back there?
If I intend to buy and use a car with four adults aboard I always test the space by setting the driver's seat for my comfort, I'm 6', and then sitting in the rear to assess the knee room. The M5 is slightly snug in the rear seat, but if I sit upright my knees clear the front seat back and I'm comfortable. The M6 failed miserably with this test.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #18
wrsbmw
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
If I intend to buy and use a car with four adults aboard I always test the space by setting the driver's seat for my comfort, I'm 6', and then sitting in the rear to assess the knee room. The M5 is slightly snug in the rear seat, but if I sit upright my knees clear the front seat back and I'm comfortable. The M6 failed miserably with this test.

The back seats in the M6 are merely decorative. I was told it has something to do with insurance rates as to why they might be in there. Of course no one from BMW said this, some tennis partner said that.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #19
Danmar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 blk/blk

No one's sat back there yet but looks like an inch or two more space than my E60. Looks pretty luxurious back there.The f10 is generally more luxurious and less sporty than the E60 it seems.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #20
UniqueCheese
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Was: F10 M5, Now: Ford F150

I am roughly the average height of my friends. As such, I have a test for all cars I consider buying. It's the "Can I sit behind me" test. I put the driver's seat where I want it, and then I go and try to sit behind me. If I can't fit then I don't buy the car. There's about 4 inches from my knees to the back of the driver's seat in an M5.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #21
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
The back seats in the M6 are merely decorative.
LOL!

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #22
chong0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 5.0

kids in car seats back there all the time and they enjoy the sunshade screens but they prefer the room in the cayenne as much as I try to have them believe the m is a rocket ship that will blast off if they sit still without kicking the front seats!
'16 X5 50i M-sport (3rd row!)
Appreciate 0