BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

Something odd

Went out to my car after work yesterday afternoon. I keep it covered in the parking lot to hold down the extreme heat. As I walk up, I use the fob to unlock and roll down the windows to start getting the hot air out, then pack up the cover.
After that was done I used my fob to open the trunk. Nothing happens. I do see that the car is unlocked and the windows are partially rolled down. I open the car to hit the trunk button inside, nothing happens. Starting to get worried now. Fortunately, my car still has a manual key unlock for the trunk, so I use that (for the very first time), load the cover and apprehensively put the fob in the slot. Everything starts fine, the engines fires immediately, no codes or warnings, and I'm on my way. Everything normal since then.
Only thing I can think is somehow the electronics got locked after I unlocked the car, maybe because of the heat.
Anybody else ever have something similar happen?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR013 View Post
Went out to my car after work yesterday afternoon. I keep it covered in the parking lot to hold down the extreme heat. As I walk up, I use the fob to unlock and roll down the windows to start getting the hot air out, then pack up the cover.
After that was done I used my fob to open the trunk. Nothing happens. I do see that the car is unlocked and the windows are partially rolled down. I open the car to hit the trunk button inside, nothing happens. Starting to get worried now. Fortunately, my car still has a manual key unlock for the trunk, so I use that (for the very first time), load the cover and apprehensively put the fob in the slot. Everything starts fine, the engines fires immediately, no codes or warnings, and I'm on my way. Everything normal since then.
Only thing I can think is somehow the electronics got locked after I unlocked the car, maybe because of the heat.
Anybody else ever have something similar happen?
Don't know what happened there.
I'm guessing it's working now?

Now, about this car cover thing, are you using an actual FULL car cover to protect from the heat?
Man, in that AZ summer sun and heat it I would think you're creating an even hotter interior for that car than may be good for it.

I KNOW it get's extremely hot in cars out there.
I've been to Phoenix and Tucson during the 4th of July, and in the Saguaro forest of Tucson it was 115F in the shade.
Getting into a hot car feels like you've touched the sun's surface if you grab that steering wheel in an uncovered car. YEEEEOUUCH!

I'm thinking a traditional full car cover is not helping with air circulation, and the heat buildup in the car has to be way hot.
Have you taken a temp reading of your interior right before you open the windows and remove the cover fully?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Don't know what happened there.
I'm guessing it's working now?

Now, about this car cover thing, are you using an actual FULL car cover to protect from the heat?
Man, in that AZ summer sun and heat it I would think you're creating an even hotter interior for that car than may be good for it.

I KNOW it get's extremely hot in cars out there.
I've been to Phoenix and Tucson during the 4th of July, and in the Saguaro forest of Tucson it was 115F in the shade.
Getting into a hot car feels like you've touched the sun's surface if you grab that steering wheel in an uncovered car. YEEEEOUUCH!

I'm thinking a traditional full car cover is not helping with air circulation, and the heat buildup in the car has to be way hot.
Have you taken a temp reading of your interior right before you open the windows and remove the cover fully?
I use a full car cover yes. And It helps tremendously. Blocks a huge portion of IR rays from coming through the windows, even with tint. And the cover is light colored so it's way better than my dark blue color in reflecting back the heat. It's not cool by any means, but at least I can sit down in it and touch the steering wheel after sitting out all afternoon. Trust me, air circulation does nothing in this kind of heat.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Wow I've thought about purchasing a cover for this as well, here in TX we're currently seeing temperature of 106 this week. I park in the shade and use the BMW windshield shade and it makes a huge difference but I wonder if a car cover would be better??

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i

Last edited by doublevanosrc; 06-27-2012 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
Wow I've thought about purchasing a cover for this as well, here in TX we're currently seeing temperature of 106 this week. I park in the shade and use the BMW windshield shade and it makes a huge difference but I wonder if a car cover would be better??
Shade is always going to be better than a cover. Unless it's under a tree with birds.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR013 View Post
I use a full car cover yes. And It helps tremendously. Blocks a huge portion of IR rays from coming through the windows, even with tint. And the cover is light colored so it's way better than my dark blue color in reflecting back the heat. It's not cool by any means, but at least I can sit down in it and touch the steering wheel after sitting out all afternoon. Trust me, air circulation does nothing in this kind of heat.
No, not doubting you at all. As I said, I've experienced that heat and that sun, it's not joke.
I'm just curious if that full cover is trapping too much heat underneath where the car sits.

I've seen those sun reflective sun blockers that you can put against the windshield and even against the rear window, and they work very well as they reflect the suns energy away. Granted, they don't help against the suns rays on the paint.
Do those not work as well or better than a full cover?
Appreciate 0