BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

11-30-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Not planning on Nav... anything I forgot to consider?

Ordered the car yesterday, put down my deposit.

• First off, I know I am in a small minority, but I've always liked the idea of a "spartan-ish" M3. (I say "-ish" because, in Canada, there is more equipment standard and there are some creature comforts I won't go without anyway, so not a real stripper. )

• I'm not planning on getting the Nav, that's the main thing.

• I really prefer the look of the "single hump dash"

• I love, love Bluetooth / USB / iPod, but that's standard now. But I hardly fiddle with what's on the screen in my 335i (which has iDrive), as it's the same 'ol people I call and I rarely search for songs.

• No Nav = no MDrive in Canada. So no servotronic sport steering & MDM. But I prefer the normal steering over the sport steering (I know, I'm in the minority on that too). I only wonder about MDM, but I'm not planning on tracking this car.

• When our 335i's Nav can't find a place, I whip out my Android. Which is better at finding places. If people see a GPS on my dash and think I'm too poor to get Nav, that's fine by me. That kind of thing has never bothered me in the least, nor has wires.

• I want to keep this car forever. When I think of E46 M3s and 2008 M3s without the older Navs, I think they're so cleeeeean and love their look!

• Car will have Individual paint and trim and ZCP (those I'm willing to pay for )

Are there other considerations I've missed in my choice to opt out of the Nav/ MDrive?

Thank-you for your thoughts!
Julie
      11-30-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
rourkem
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post
[*]I'm not planning on getting the Nav, that's the main thing.
[*]I really prefer the look of the "single hump dash"
[*]I love, love Bluetooth / USB / iPod, but that's standard now. But I hardly fiddle with what's on the screen in my 335i (which has iDrive), as it's the same 'ol people I call and I rarely search for songs.
[*]When our 335i's Nav can't find a place, I whip out my Android. Which is better at finding places. If people see a GPS on my dash and think I'm too poor to get Nav, that's fine by me. That kind of thing has never bothered me in the least, nor has wires.
[*]Car will have Individual paint and trim and ZCP (those I'm willing to pay for ) [/LIST]
I hear you. I considered no nav just to get some actual center console storage. I use the (far superior) cupholders in my E46 M3 both to store the occasional beverage but also for extra keys, cellphone, bluetooth headsets, etc.

I ended up going nav/idrive both because I use nav all the time and like having it built in and also because I *really* want the iPhone integration for music and apps.

What individual color/interior are you going with?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
JulieDriving
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rourkem View Post

Azurite Black, Novillo Black and Piano Black.

I have to admit, the 5% of hesitation I have also relates to the fact that I can't get Platinum or Rust Brown interior without the Nav. Which only makes sense. If I were to get one of those interiors, I might as well get everything....
      11-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
Vise
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 RS

Garage List
2011.75 E90 M3  [10.00]
Congrats Julie! Car sounds awesome...

My view... I went from a 2008 with no iDrive to a 2011 with and for me without question the iDrive equipped car is better/preferred. Not for the Nav alone either, I've only used it a few times for navigation and it seems fine. iPod integration is 10000x better on the new iDrive vs non-iDrive cars... to me its a huge improvement without even getting into things like Mdrive, BMW Apps, visual PDC, and just a greater overall ability to control/adjust the car. Not to mention the ability to get Rust Brown extended leather!

Order the car as you see fit obviously, I'd recommend getting iDrive without question but to each their own.
Past: 2008 BMW M3 Sedan Melbourne Red / Black Novillo Leather
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 10:17 PM   #5
JulieDriving
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vise View Post
Congrats Julie! Car sounds awesome...

My view... I went from a 2008 with no iDrive to a 2011 with and for me without question the iDrive equipped car is better/preferred. Not for the Nav alone either, I've only used it a few times for navigation and it seems fine. iPod integration is 10000x better on the new iDrive vs non-iDrive cars... to me its a huge improvement without even getting into things like Mdrive, BMW Apps, visual PDC, and just a greater overall ability to control/adjust the car. Not to mention the ability to get Rust Brown extended leather!

Order the car as you see fit obviously, I'd recommend getting iDrive without question but to each their own.
I see.... thanks for your input Vise!
      11-30-2011, 10:28 PM   #6
JulieDriving
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I should add rourkem,

In Canada, azurite, moonstone and ruby black along with piano black trim (or a couple of other Individual trims) and shadowline can be purchased in a package deal for $4000. Our cars cost 30% more though, so we pay for it in other ways... :P

I inquired about (and got approval for) Midnight Blue Metallic. But there is no package deal for that color, and I have the same love for Azurite. It's stunning though, I agree with you. Especially when paired with a color like Rust Brown, like on WallyE's car....
      11-30-2011, 10:29 PM   #7
SD-E93-11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3 Jerez Black/Black

Yeah, that's a nice amount of kit that Canadians get standard, but I guess the cost difference more than offsets that. Couple minor questions:

I don't see special wheels offered in the Canadian competition package, is that not the case? Speaking of the north, I also don't see the digital mirror compass offered as part of a package or standalone. I'm a fan of that small touch. I like the piano black, that will be awesome to have. But I have black/black/carbon and sometimes I miss having a contrasting color. Especially with piano, maybe a lighter interior would set that off nicely.

Your audio options confuse me in that not only is HK standard but it's not the uprated stereo.

EDITED: Nevermind, see the wheels now.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
JulieDriving
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-E93-11 View Post
Yeah, that's a nice amount of kit that Canadians get standard, but I guess the cost difference more than offsets that.
Yes, we ultimately pay more. Definitely. Plus, 13% taxes here in Ontario. Killer.

Quote:

I don't see special wheels offered in the Canadian competition package, is that not the case?
The usual competition wheels come with the package but there are website errors. They don't show up when you look under "wheel options", only when you click "Competition Package" in the Packages section.

The dealer's ordering guide confirms the ZCP wheels.

Quote:

I also don't see the digital mirror compass offered as part of a package or standalone.
It's part of the optional (Canadian) "Executive Package". Probably a website error again.

Quote:

I like the piano black, that will be awesome to have. But I have black/black/carbon and sometimes I miss having a contrasting color. Especially with piano, maybe a lighter interior would set that off nicely.
Thanks. I wonder a little bit about that too. Although the pics of the two Azurite's on bimmerpost have that combo's and it seems the glossy-ness of the piano black provides some contrast. But yeah, a light color interior would definitely be nice too.

Quote:

Your audio options confuse me in that not only is HK standard but it's not the uprated stereo.
The HK is standard and our upgraded sound system option is Individual Audio. Which comes as part of the Canadian spec, "Executive Package".
      11-30-2011, 10:41 PM   #9
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Don't ya want Comfort Access and Heated Front Seats?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 10:48 PM   #10
JulieDriving
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Don't ya want Comfort Access and Heated Front Seats?
Those come standard now with our Canadian spec cars...

Some of your US "Premium Package" features are standard whereas some others are part of our optional "Executive Package".
      11-30-2011, 11:42 PM   #11
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Congrats!!! I really like the idrive though, not because of the nav, because u can change the settings of your car easily there.

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 12:01 AM   #12
tlp
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, Sold:'11 e92 M3 SG/FR

Garage List
Granted the 2nd hump is not pretty but it's more than just "Nav". It's centralized nerve center and access point for so many features and facets. The current iphone integraion and bmwapps is good and has the potential to be so much more promising in the future. I would try to demo it with BT and ipod/phone integration. If it was 2008 and MY2008 was on the table I would bypass but now in 2012 it's much more compelling IMHO.
      12-01-2011, 12:42 AM   #13
rdollie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT Sedan

Make sure you're very confident in your desire to keep this car forever. In a few years when people are raving about the next M3 you may get the bug (like I will) and want another. Leaving these popular options behind will make it a LOT harder to sell your car. If you're 100% sure you're keeping the car for MANY years then go for it.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 07:04 AM   #14
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

I was initially looking for a non-I drive car, but glad I got it. There are many settings you can adjust there, not just nav.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 08:16 AM   #15
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Those come standard now with our Canadian spec cars...

Some of your US "Premium Package" features are standard whereas some others are part of our optional "Executive Package".
Very nice.

I'd try to talk you into Nav/iDrive, but since you already have it, it does not appear to have the same value to you as most other owners. I personally would never order a car without it!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 09:08 AM   #16
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Ordered the car yesterday, put down my deposit.

• First off, I know I am in a small minority, but I've always liked the idea of a "spartan-ish" M3. (I say "-ish" because, in Canada, there is more equipment standard and there are some creature comforts I won't go without anyway, so not a real stripper. )

• I'm not planning on getting the Nav, that's the main thing.

• I really prefer the look of the "single hump dash"

• I love, love Bluetooth / USB / iPod, but that's standard now. But I hardly fiddle with what's on the screen in my 335i (which has iDrive), as it's the same 'ol people I call and I rarely search for songs.

• No Nav = no MDrive in Canada. So no servotronic sport steering & MDM. But I prefer the normal steering over the sport steering (I know, I'm in the minority on that too). I only wonder about MDM, but I'm not planning on tracking this car.

• When our 335i's Nav can't find a place, I whip out my Android. Which is better at finding places. If people see a GPS on my dash and think I'm too poor to get Nav, that's fine by me. That kind of thing has never bothered me in the least, nor has wires.

• I want to keep this car forever. When I think of E46 M3s and 2008 M3s without the older Navs, I think they're so cleeeeean and love their look!

• Car will have Individual paint and trim and ZCP (those I'm willing to pay for )

Are there other considerations I've missed in my choice to opt out of the Nav/ MDrive?

Thank-you for your thoughts!
Julie
Julie,

When I picked up the slightly used e92 M3 AW/FR I just traded in my thinking was exactly like yours ... No Navi. I used my TomTom and it served me well. Then exploring the issue further after driving my wife's car (having the Command System ... similar to the iDrive, just not as good) I changed my mind.

Operating the telephone and everything else with the iDrive seams to me much safer when it comes to driving. Mind you, I barely scratched the surface with the iDrive since I only have the car a few days. However the more I read of the advantages I am now so glad I got it since I do plan to keep this car for quite a while.

My recommendation would be to visit your dealership and let someone go thru the iDrive with you. You still have the option to add it.

On the other hand, I have a perfectly great TomTom I can let you have for a bargain price I used to plug it in from under the centre arm rest and position the TomTom on the passenger seat then let the lady voice direct me to my final destination ... it also has male voices to choose from and maps of Europe (it is one of the high end TomToms quite good).

Good Luck with your final decision,

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter

BTW I don't mind that second hump on the dash at all.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 12-01-2011 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: added .... Mind you ..... etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #17
Twinbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ....

Good looking order Julie. I like your colour choices (I'm not a fan of Platinum interior). The all black will look good with the Piano trim.
You probably know my opinion on iDrive as I'm happy not having it. I do wish the audio interface was easier without it but that's a small gripe.
As for resale - there is nothing worse in a used car than an outdated Nav system. Anyone try and use an e46 M3's Nav system? It reminds me of a using a Commodore 64.
Is the new Nav upgradable (ie Hard Drive based)?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #18
rourkem
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinbo View Post
As for resale - there is nothing worse in a used car than an outdated Nav system. Anyone try and use an e46 M3's Nav system? It reminds me of a using a Commodore 64.
I don't agree -- I use my E46 nav system all the time. It feels a little dated, but the operation is fundamentally the same as in the current E92. Maybe it's just me, but I really like the convenience of having it built in vs needing to mount something on the dash and plug it in.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #19
Twinbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ....

Quote:
I don't agree -- I use my E46 nav system all the time. It feels a little dated, but the operation is fundamentally the same as in the current E92. Maybe it's just me, but I really like the convenience of having it built in vs needing to mount something on the dash and plug it in.
I agree with your built-in versus plug-in. But how about this gem that I have been trying to impart on my gf - Google where you are going before you leave the house. Know the route before you leave if you are going somewhere unknown. I don't want to rant but this is the core reason why I see the "4 lane, panicked exit" off the freeway. I'm sure people actually say to themselves while rolling in the fast lane - "Oh, there's my exit"

See this link for an animated version of events (ignore racial stereotyping).

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 08:27 PM   #20
JulieDriving
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
Congrats!!! I really like the idrive though, not because of the nav, because u can change the settings of your car easily there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlp View Post
Granted the 2nd hump is not pretty but it's more than just "Nav". It's centralized nerve center and access point for so many features and facets. The current iphone integraion and bmwapps is good and has the potential to be so much more promising in the future. I would try to demo it with BT and ipod/phone integration. If it was 2008 and MY2008 was on the table I would bypass but now in 2012 it's much more compelling IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
I was initially looking for a non-I drive car, but glad I got it. There are many settings you can adjust there, not just nav.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Julie,

When I picked up the slightly used e92 M3 AW/FR I just traded in my thinking was exactly like yours ... No Navi. I used my TomTom and it served me well. Then exploring the issue further after driving my wife's car (having the Command System ... similar to the iDrive, just not as good) I changed my mind.

Operating the telephone and everything else with the iDrive seams to me much safer when it comes to driving. Mind you, I barely scratched the surface with the iDrive since I only have the car a few days. However the more I read of the advantages I am now so glad I got it since I do plan to keep this car for quite a while.

My recommendation would be to visit your dealership and let someone go thru the iDrive with you. You still have the option to add it.

On the other hand, I have a perfectly great TomTom I can let you have for a bargain price I used to plug it in from under the centre arm rest and position the TomTom on the passenger seat then let the lady voice direct me to my final destination ... it also has male voices to choose from and maps of Europe (it is one of the high end TomToms quite good).

Good Luck with your final decision,

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter

BTW I don't mind that second hump on the dash at all.
Thanks for the input guys. I agree that the current iDrive is one of the better factory "car control" systems out there and overall very good. I have it in my 335i.

It's also very easy to use. I was surprised at all quickly I mastered all the features, even without reading the manual.

But aside from the same controls I hit over and over again, which I am imagining are as simple to activate as well on a non-iDrive car (the ones I regularly use, that is), I don't have much use for its other features.

But you raise a point I had not considered... which is to try out the non-iDrive system, to ensure it still meets my wants and needs. I have never tried out a non-iDrive car (I just realized all my test drive cars and loaner cars have had iDrive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdollie View Post
Make sure you're very confident in your desire to keep this car forever. In a few years when people are raving about the next M3 you may get the bug (like I will) and want another. Leaving these popular options behind will make it a LOT harder to sell your car. If you're 100% sure you're keeping the car for MANY years then go for it.
I am almost 100% certain that..... I will like the new M3! The plan though would be to trade the 335i for it.

But it's true I may not love the E92 M3 as much as I imagined, and may want to give it up earlier. It's a valid consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinbo View Post
Good looking order Julie. I like your colour choices (I'm not a fan of Platinum interior). The all black will look good with the Piano trim.
You probably know my opinion on iDrive as I'm happy not having it. I do wish the audio interface was easier without it but that's a small gripe.
Is the new Nav upgradable (ie Hard Drive based)?
Yes, the 2009+ Nav are hard-drive based, but it becomes more superseded as time goes by. Every year since 2009, they slightly improve upon it and not every new feature can be retro-fitted, even though it has a hard drive. For instance, the reason Googlemaps is really good is because it's cloud-based. Will the current hard-drives be able to capture real-time internet to take advantage of the better cloud-based Nav databases in the future? I'm no expert, but I imagine there will be hardware constraints that even software upgrades cannot overcome.

If the iDrive was integrated into the dash, like in the new 5 series, I'd just get it. But I never warmed up to the look of the dash with it on the E9x 3 series...

And yes, I love how your car looks with the clean dash!
      12-01-2011, 08:36 PM   #21
JulieDriving
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, it is more convenient. We have a Garmin for the other car. It's more of a hassle to take it out, plug it in, etc. Especially if you're driving and want to suddenly look for an address. You can manipulate the iDrive buttons by touch alone. I really do think it is a good system, Nav included.

But I didn't like the look of the Nav in our Acura (in which we keep the Garmin). So I skipped it when I bought it. And I have never regretted the extra fuss in using the Garmin the few times I need to use it in our Acura...
      12-02-2011, 12:54 AM   #22
BeamingE39
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slower than I'd like

You'll be fine without the Nav, I know I would've been. I just got it instead of a tom-tom for the same reason I plan on getting a V1 mated rear-view... vainity.
Appreciate 0