BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

11-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Don't you guys hate the Oil Level Feedback?

Ever notice how long it takes to check your oil level on this M3 ... I just hate it only after some 15 to 16 KM (10 Miles) do I get a feedback.

Wish I had a oil level gauge (Dipstick)... perhaps I am old fashioned in my old age.

I know most of you like the oil level gauge (dipstick) back as well, it is such a pain in the bud to top up oil if you do get an alarm. I got an alarm shortly before my last service appointment, adding oil (the right amount) took 1/2 hour out of my trip. Glad I am retired and no longer have business appointments

Perhaps having both would be nice ... hate to fool with the nice engine or I would design a mod and get super rich in my old age LOL why can BMW not provide us with the dipstick also as it has been custom for over 100 years?

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 11-14-2011 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: Added ===> Perhaps having both .....
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Just curious by why does dumping in a half quart-quart take half hour? takes me 5 mins to open her up and dump it in. My burns oil like there is no tomorrow so of course a quart is always in my car. Maybe just keep one in your car?

I kind of like it but I am "new school" when it comes to cars and never had older cars growing up that were not shit piles so checking their oil was simply every 3k for a change. At 30 I guess I am JUST barely in the youngishh crowd where I like the tech. But I wish it was instant and accurate more than it is!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
Just curious by why does dumping in a half quart-quart take half hour? takes me 5 mins to open her up and dump it in. My burns oil like there is no tomorrow so of course a quart is always in my car. Maybe just keep one in your car?

I kind of like it but I am "new school" when it comes to cars and never had older cars growing up that were not shit piles so checking their oil was simply every 3k for a change. At 30 I guess I am JUST barely in the youngishh crowd where I like the tech. But I wish it was instant and accurate more than it is!
I meant to confirm the level once you add oil I prefer to stick it lets me see feel and smell the oil Feedback from the car's electronic takes very long. So adding oil takes no time at all it's the feedback that one does NOT overfill that is the issue my friend.

Edit ---> Sorry to see your car burns so much oil ... must be out off warranty and has been abused on the track ... just saying. If not then why does BMW not do something about it?

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 11-13-2011 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: Added Edit --->
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
e92zero
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BW

^ +10000000. Just did an oil change the other day and took forever to get a reading. I would imagine if the oil is low or too high, it would have caused damaged to the engine by the time the reading shows. If some vendor would come up with a retro for the old style dip stick, it would probably sell like hot cake.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

haha I bought the car new this year and has no track time! My old bimmer burned oil like there was no tomorrow and it had a I6 engine. However I drive 99 percent of the time at above 6500 rpms so that is the price of admission in my opinion. That is what happened with my old car as I lived above 6k and redlined it 100 times a day. That was necessary however since it had no power and the only way to get it to move was to keep it at redline!

I am not bothered I just add a quart every 3k miles or so. 10 bucks a month extra is not a big deal and I am not keeping the car beyond warranty. However I do not feel this is abuse but rather if bmw designs a car that makes power at 6500 rpms-8400 rpms than you should be able to use it all the time.

The turbo cars make their big power at 2500-5500 rpms and nobody is "abusing" those by driving within that range and takin full advantage of it so IMO it is using the engine bmw designed. Cost of doing this is gas and a bit of oil which I am more than happy to buy.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Ever notice how long it takes to check your oil level on this M3 ... I just hate it only after some 15 to 16 KM (10 Miles) do I get a feedback.

Wish I had a oil level gauge ... perhaps I am old fashioned in my old age.

I know most of you like the oil level gauge back as well, it is such a pain in the bud to top up oil if you do get an alarm. I got an alarm shortly before my last service appointment, adding oil (the right amount) took 1/2 hour out of my trip. Glad I am retired and no longer have business appointments
yup
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
What do we do when the level measuring sensor fails? I really want a dipstick!
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 10:17 PM   #8
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

When my engine blew up and they replaced it at around 9000km they obviously put new oil in, now I'm at 18000km and went in for a top up yesterday but the advisor, advised against it because the meter is still reading FULL. Now believe me when I say I do not have a light foot, I don't get it, I expect the oil reading to be at least at the 3/4 quarter line by now..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #9
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Mercedes went down this sensor road for awhile. They now provide a proper dipstick.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 11:51 PM   #10
SD-E93-11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3 Jerez Black/Black

Well if the choice was a) dipstick and no electronic monitoring of oil level or b) no dipstick but electronic monitoring I'll take (b) every time. Perhaps I'm not as much of an 'enthusiast' as some of y'all but I've done oil changes on cars I've owned before and after about 2 times the novelty wore off. Unless you're doing it yourself I can't think of a scenario where the lack of a dipstick is a hindrance. I also tend not to over-analyze it either when the warning says +1. Adding a quart will put it between the high and low hash-marks but still within tolerance. You can also just add a half quart and drive for awhile.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 12:09 AM   #11
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-E93-11 View Post
Well if the choice was a) dipstick and no electronic monitoring of oil level or b) no dipstick but electronic monitoring I'll take (b) every time. Perhaps I'm not as much of an 'enthusiast' as some of y'all but I've done oil changes on cars I've owned before and after about 2 times the novelty wore off. Unless you're doing it yourself I can't think of a scenario where the lack of a dipstick is a hindrance. I also tend not to over-analyze it either when the warning says +1. Adding a quart will put it between the high and low hash-marks but still within tolerance. You can also just add a half quart and drive for awhile.
My friend ....

A dip stick tells you if the oil level is low!

A dip stick tells you when you have the right level of oil after adding some

A dip stick will prevent you ever over filling your car with oil

A dip stick tells you if the oil smells burned

A dip stick tells you the colour of your oil is it clean, dirty or burned

Now you tell me what electronic gadget will tell you all this? Just think about it ...

BTW there is a poll and members here voted overwhelmingly wishing they had a dip stick, I guess this places you in the minority and that's okay. Hope your engine never blows up or you be stranded in the Mohave Desert God forbid.

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 11-14-2011 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: Edit added last section for clarification
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 12:13 AM   #12
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
My friend ....

A dip stick tells you if the oil smells burned

Now you tell me what electronic gadget will tell you all this? Just think about it ...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 12:59 AM   #13
SD-E93-11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3 Jerez Black/Black

...umm so does the sensor better yet, the sensor really does proactively tell you, unlike a dipstick..., if you feel compelled to see the reading on a dipstick for peace of mind, then that's your issue.

...see above

No....only you can prevent yourself from overfilling your car with oil. Like I said...when it says +1 qt. the hashmarks are designed so that anything up to 1 qt. is within tolerance. If you decide to go more than 1 qt., then you don't take direction particularly well. Again, unless you're changing the oil yourself - in which case you're very much in the minority among M3 owners - no matter what your poll says. And if you're going to imply that everyone wishes they had a dipstick on their performance car based on a poll from a sampling of m3 owner enthusiasts, the fact that BMW, Porsche and Mercedes (among others) have gone to electronic oil sensors would indicate otherwise.

A dip stick tells you if the oil smells burned ?

And if your M3 had a dipstick what exactly would you do with this information Mr. Oil Whisperer? Are you going to change the oil if it doesn't look clean on your dipstick? Let me get in on that Castrol stock group-buy first.

Not surprised at the poll you allude to but don't see a link to. M3 owners are pretty clearly an obsessive bunch. Actually a dipstick would be good in that we'd have multiple oil-on-dipstick analysis threads to pore over which would give us a break from arguing about 6MT vs. DCT and giving financial advice to people we don't know.

And if a dipstick is the last defense between my engine grenading in the Mojave Desert, then not having one is a risk I'm willing to take. Actually that wouldn't happen because the sensor would have proactively told me to add oil long before and that scenarios is much more likely if I didn't have an oil sensor. However....should I find myself in the Mojave Desert with a grenaded engine specifically because I didn't have a dipstick, then I'll be sure to post here from my iPhone before I go.

BTW, if you're going to post a leading question titled 'Don't you guys hate the Oil Level Feedback?' you should be prepared for the possibility that there are people out there who don't hate the oil level feedback. Trying to convince me that I should prefer the old-fashioned stick and paper towel method based on your preference or because 7 out of 10 BMW M3 owners polled hate the oil level feedback or suggest that I'm doomed to a parched death below circling buzzards because of my preference for an electronic readout makes you seem (wait for it)...like a dipstick.

Last edited by SD-E93-11; 11-14-2011 at 01:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 01:47 AM   #14
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

This thread is probably going to get ugly, but here are my 5 cents:
YES, absolutely, I would love to have an oil dipstick. It just makes it much faster to read the oil level, and I love electronics, but they f*&k up too, so I'd much rather visually see the oil level on my car.
Let me give you one example; I was at the Nurburgring this past weekend. I warmed up the car for about 25 minutes, and still no oil reading. I RAN a lap and STILL no oil reading. Now, I already knew I was good to go because I remembered seeing it the night before, but still! All I'm saying is: an oil dipstick would make things easier for me. Perhaps many people do not mind at all, but I do. So, I side with the OP on this one; I hear you brotha'.
Finally, to answer the other question; I do track my car, and push it hard whenever I get a chance to. I only had to add 1/2qt. once, and this was between the first service and second oil change.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 04:03 AM   #15
serranot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
My Q5 came without a dipstick too, but the tube was still there. SO, about $20 later, it has a dipstick.

That being said, I don't treat the lack of a dipstick like a deal-breaker. If the people writing in to Roundel are real people, you'd think the lack of a dipstick and no spare is the end of the frickin' world. Again, I understand that opinions can differ, even in strength, but a deal-breaker? Really? While engine configuration, seat comfort, etc, might be a deal-breaker for me, the dipstick issue is trivial.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 04:11 AM   #16
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

In short yes I'd prefer a dipstick but as long as you know the limitations of the electronic oil level reader then its fine i.e. take measurements after going for a reasonable drive and take the measurement in the same place if possible on level surface everytime to ensure consistency (at the beginning I did freak out whilst driving when I was getting low oil warnings).
      11-14-2011, 07:42 AM   #17
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I guess being an mechanical engineer I simply do not believe electronic feedback very well. Especially when during several trips last month my ABS alarm came on again and again at one time even the tire pressure light turned red and I made an emergency stop on a very busy highway. Glad I'm carrying a good old fashioned pressure gauge at all times that proved instantly that the electronic alarms were malfunctioning readouts that was later confirmed and corrected by BMW.

Bottom line ... I wish we had both (the electronic feedback and the dipstick) ... perhaps my lead post should have pointed that out, well we all make mistakes I guess ... I did not expect to be attacked over a dipstick then all of us are entitled to our opinion and I do respect that. After all that is what free speech is all about.

BTW there was a Poll regarding the dipstick --->Along with some amusing replies

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 11-14-2011 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: Edit ... added BTW ....
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 07:52 AM   #18
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
........ because 7 out of 10 BMW M3 owners polled hate the oil level feedback or suggest that I'm doomed to a parched death below circling buzzards because of my preference for an electronic readout makes you seem (wait for it)...like a dipstick.
No worries Mr SD-E93-11
I've been called worse then a dipstick

PS. Come to think of it ... I called you my Friend ... and you called me a dipstick ... that tells me a lot, I'm glad I am retired and don't have to deal with the likes of you ... enough said.

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 11-14-2011 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: added the PS ... just had to do it
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 07:54 AM   #19
El_Duderino
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Cayman GT4

Quote:

...umm so does the sensor better yet, the sensor really does proactively tell you, unlike a dipstick..., if you feel compelled to see the reading on a dipstick for peace of mind, then that's your issue.

...see above

No....only you can prevent yourself from overfilling your car with oil. Like I said...when it says +1 qt. the hashmarks are designed so that anything up to 1 qt. is within tolerance. If you decide to go more than 1 qt., then you don't take direction particularly well. Again, unless you're changing the oil yourself - in which case you're very much in the minority among M3 owners - no matter what your poll says. And if you're going to imply that everyone wishes they had a dipstick on their performance car based on a poll from a sampling of m3 owner enthusiasts, the fact that BMW, Porsche and Mercedes (among others) have gone to electronic oil sensors would indicate otherwise.

A dip stick tells you if the oil smells burned ?

And if your M3 had a dipstick what exactly would you do with this information Mr. Oil Whisperer? Are you going to change the oil if it doesn't look clean on your dipstick? Let me get in on that Castrol stock group-buy first.

Not surprised at the poll you allude to but don't see a link to. M3 owners are pretty clearly an obsessive bunch. Actually a dipstick would be good in that we'd have multiple oil-on-dipstick analysis threads to pore over which would give us a break from arguing about 6MT vs. DCT and giving financial advice to people we don't know.

And if a dipstick is the last defense between my engine grenading in the Mojave Desert, then not having one is a risk I'm willing to take. Actually that wouldn't happen because the sensor would have proactively told me to add oil long before and that scenarios is much more likely if I didn't have an oil sensor. However....should I find myself in the Mojave Desert with a grenaded engine specifically because I didn't have a dipstick, then I'll be sure to post here from my iPhone before I go.

BTW, if you're going to post a leading question titled 'Don't you guys hate the Oil Level Feedback?' you should be prepared for the possibility that there are people out there who don't hate the oil level feedback. Trying to convince me that I should prefer the old-fashioned stick and paper towel method based on your preference or because 7 out of 10 BMW M3 owners polled hate the oil level feedback or suggest that I'm doomed to a parched death below circling buzzards because of my preference for an electronic readout makes you seem (wait for it)...like a dipstick.
^
LOL. Priceless.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #20
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Edit ---> Sorry to see your car burns so much oil ... must be out off warranty and has been abused on the track ... just saying. If not then why does BMW not do something about it?
BMW considers oil consumption of 1 qt/1000 miles to be well within "normal consumption" limits.

To answer your question, I don't mind the electronic oil level sensor BUT I'd still like to have a conventional dipstick as a backup.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #21
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
If you read the letters in Roundel, I think many people go overboard on this but BMW provided a solution to a problem that wasn't really a problem. I think the majority of BMW owners these days never open their hood and keep their cars for 3-5 years (warranty). So this e-dipstick really hasn't been a detractor from sales outside of the enthusiast segment.

Over the long term, I think this approach hurts BMWs for a couple of reasons, resale value, parts, and brand image.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #22
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

I hate how long it takes to get a reading. I like to check all the fluids before I leave on a road trip, but with this thing I have to do it a day ahead of time. Having the electronic sensor on my M5 is nice since it burns oil, but so far this car doesn't seem to have burned any in the first few thousand miles.