ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
h100250
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 2003 3.0 Z4

Question Tranny Fluid Change

I just recently bought an 04 Z4 2.5 for the wife that has about 42K miles on it, after taking it to a local repair facility I asked the mechanic about changing the tranny fluid. He stated that I should do it now because if not done at about 50K don't bother leave the old stuff in because changing it after that will likely cause problems. and would end of costing me $$$ and possibly a new tranny a few thousand miles later.

Any truth to this?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

First, congrats on the new car! Welcome!

There are many threads on the "lifetime" fluids. My opinion is if you want to keep the car for a long time go ahead and flush the fluid. I think your generaton automatic may have a canister or cartridge filter. Change that too. If you mechanic is giving you crap that chaning the fluid will break something find a new mechanic or do it yourself.

Changing the tranny fluid on my 07 with 24k miles was one of the first things I did. It works great and shifts like buttah.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by santov View Post
First, congrats on the new car! Welcome!

There are many threads on the "lifetime" fluids. My opinion is if you want to keep the car for a long time go ahead and flush the fluid. I think your generaton automatic may have a canister or cartridge filter. Change that too. If you mechanic is giving you crap that chaning the fluid will break something find a new mechanic or do it yourself.

Changing the tranny fluid on my 07 with 24k miles was one of the first things I did. It works great and shifts like buttah.
+1
      03-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

The sooner you change it the better. That being said, I don't believe you will make matters worse by waiting to change it. You are just wearing it out quicker than if it had new fluid in there.

It's actually really easy if you can get the car up high enough to where you can crawl underneath it. There are two plugs that you will need to remove and replace with new ones (drain plug and fill plug.) They are either 8mm or 10mm hex, I can't remember which. Pull out the top one first (fill plug), then pull out the bottom one (drain plug). Make sure you have a pan underneath to catch all the fluid. After the fluid is finished draining, screw the new drain plug in. Then take 3 or 4 feet of some 3/8" inner-diameter clear hose and fish it thru the engine bay down to the fill hole. Put the hose in the fill hole. On the other end of the hose you will want to attach a funnel so you can pour the new tranny oil into. You will need 2 quarts. Pour the oil in until it starts coming out of the fill hole. Put the new fill plug in. Both the drain plug and fill plug need to be tightened to 35nm.

This is a really easy job if you have the tools to do it. If not, invest in it instead of paying a shop. You can definitely use the tools over and over again.

*EDIT* And just to clarify, this is for a manual transmission. Hopefully that what is you have, OP!
Appreciate 0