ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-18-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Changing out my diff and tranny fluids

Did I buy the right stuff?

My warranty is almost up and I plan on switching out the current OEM fluids with Royal Purple. According to the service records, the last time it was changed was at the 1200 mile service.

I about damn-near had a heart attack when I found out how much the OEM fluids cost. I seriously doubt they are any better than any full syn on the market. But hey, if people will pay for it, then that's what they are going to charge so more power to 'em.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I don't know if it really matters or not, but the Royal Purple equivalent to BMW's MTL-LT-2 is Max-Gear. Synchromax only meets or is equivalent MTL-LT-1.

Personally I'd have gone BMW OEM and buy it from Turner:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-21...or-e46-m3.aspx

Sure, it's expensive, but these diffs and transmissions seems to be somewhat on the sensitive side to what is used.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post
Did I buy the right stuff?

My warranty is almost up and I plan on switching out the current OEM fluids with Royal Purple. According to the service records, the last time it was changed was at the 1200 mile service.

I about damn-near had a heart attack when I found out how much the OEM fluids cost. I seriously doubt they are any better than any full syn on the market. But hey, if people will pay for it, then that's what they are going to charge so more power to 'em.
Don't screw with the Diff. OE only. RP Synchromax is what many of us have switched to in the transmission.
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
Don't screw with the Diff. OE only. RP Synchromax is what many of us have switched to in the transmission.
x2, OE for the diff, Synchromax for the transmission

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

Unless I am mistaken, we share the same differential with the E46 M3. I've read numerous posts where the M3 crowd is using Royal Purple in both the diff and tranny with no issues at all. I've also seen a few guys on here say the same thing. I respect your opinions to stick with OE fluids. However, having used aftermarket oils in nearly every car and motorcycle I have ever owned, I'm very hesitant to pay the outrageously jacked up prices that BMW is asking for their fluids.

I will do some more research on this subject and report back with my findings.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Unless I am mistaken, we share the same differential with the E46 M3. I've read numerous posts where the M3 crowd is using Royal Purple in both the diff and tranny with no issues at all. I've also seen a few guys on here say the same thing. I respect your opinions to stick with OE fluids. However, having used aftermarket oils in nearly every car and motorcycle I have ever owned, I'm very hesitant to pay the outrageously jacked up prices that BMW is asking for their fluids.

I will do some more research on this subject and report back with my findings.
Search a little deeper - problems with diffs using RP.
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #7
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Quote:
Search a little deeper - problems with diffs using RP.
The race shop I went to for rebuilding and installing my differential (3.91 ratio) said they've tried all sorts of fluids on their own personal track cars and found that OE diff fluid was the best for stock LSD. They told me that they experienced slight NVH with every fluid except for OE and was just as skeptical and reluctant on spending the money, but that's just what they've found--through years of personal experience--to be the best as far as stock differential goes.

I've no comment about RP Synchromax for the tranny fluid, but it seems the majority here on the forums are happy with it. Therefore, I'm probably going to flush mine out with Synchromax too once my warranty is up

Quote:
I'm very hesitant to pay the outrageously jacked up prices that BMW is asking for their fluids.
I just recently did an oil change out of pocket (in-between service intervals) because I've been tracking my car a lot and wanted the additional peace of mind. From Tischer BMW, the M3forum specials page came to a total of $90 shipped for 6 quarts of Castrol 10W60 and an oil filter kit. This is not far from the cost of a differential flush, which is 2 bottles, and comes to a total of just over $100. Honestly, if the oil changes cost this much, I figure why not spend on differential fluid as well? You won't need to flush the diff out nearly as much anyhow.

Last edited by mfanatic325; 02-18-2011 at 09:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
The race shop I went to for rebuilding and installing my differential (3.91 ratio) said they've tried all sorts of fluids on their own personal track cars and found that OE diff fluid was the best for stock LSD. They told me that they experienced slight NVH with every fluid except for OE and was just as skeptical and reluctant on spending the money, but that's just what they've found--through years of personal experience--to be the best as far as stock differential goes.

I've no comment about RP Synchromax for the tranny fluid, but it seems the majority here on the forums are happy with it. Therefore, I'm probably going to flush mine out with Synchromax too once my warranty is up

I just recently did an oil change out of pocket (in-between service intervals) because I've been tracking my car a lot and wanted the additional peace of mind. From Tischer BMW, the M3forum specials page came to a total of $90 shipped for 6 quarts of Castrol 10W60 and an oil filter kit. This is not far from the cost of a differential flush, which is 2 bottles, and comes to a total of just over $100. Honestly, if the oil changes cost this much, I figure why not spend on differential fluid as well? You won't need to flush the diff out nearly as much anyhow.
Interesting. Thanks for the in-depth details.

I too changed my engine oil even though the service indicator still said 6,000 to go. I did the same as you and bought the kit from Tischer. You are also right about the diff not needing to be changed nearly as often. Every 20k-30k is probably enough.

I'll give it some more thought. I can easily return this stuff and get the OE if need be.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #9
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Actually just over 2 bottles...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 02:23 AM   #10
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Actually just over 2 bottles...
For a full flush right? I recall that a drain and fill only requires one bottle or something? Don't quote me on that. Just going off the top of my head, as I haven't done the fluid swap with my own two hands just yet =P
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 03:58 AM   #11
kennef
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: MC

OE for the diff, motul gear FF LSD Type 2 for the tranny. so far so good.
      02-19-2011, 06:26 AM   #12
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep

Quote:
For a full flush right? I recall that a drain and fill only requires one bottle or something? Don't quote me on that. Just going off the top of my head, as I haven't done the fluid swap with my own two hands just yet =P
IIRC - 1.1L - had to purchase three 500ml bottles... The 3 pack.

Last edited by Caddyshk; 02-19-2011 at 06:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 07:17 AM   #13
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

Quote:
IIRC - 1.1L - had to purchase three 500ml bottles... The 3 pack.
correct. i am doing this in the near future. you need (3) .5 liter bottles. bought off tischer for $10.10 each for the saf-xj. it says 1 liter, but they are actually .5 liter bottles
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 08:08 AM   #14
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Murder View Post
correct. i am doing this in the near future. you need (3) .5 liter bottles. bought off tischer for $10.10 each for the saf-xj. it says 1 liter, but they are actually .5 liter bottles
Wow, how long ago was that? Not sure if you've looked lately but they now cost $45 each!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 08:43 AM   #15
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

lol that's what I thought. Cause my race shop charged me for two or three bottles, totalling just over $100 for the fluid. They threw the labor in free of charge since they recommended OE for diff, and it was very expensive.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 09:25 AM   #16
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

Quote:
Wow, how long ago was that? Not sure if you've looked lately but they now cost $45 each!
bought it yesterday... are you sure you're not looking at the saf-xj+ fm booster which is much more expensive?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 11:38 AM   #17
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Murder View Post
bought it yesterday... are you sure you're not looking at the saf-xj+ fm booster which is much more expensive?
You are right. But why are you running the fluid without the FM booster? No grinding?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #18
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
Quote:
You are right. But why are you running the fluid without the FM booster? No grinding?
My Z4MC sees many track days a season and I run the standard SAF-XJ without friction modifier booster and experence no grinding.
Don't forget to replace the drain plugs as they are one-use O-ring type plugs.

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #19
tekmoe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillet View Post
My Z4MC sees many track days a season and I run the standard SAF-XJ without friction modifier booster and experence no grinding.
Don't forget to replace the drain plugs as they are one-use O-ring type plugs.
Nice. That would actually be cheaper than the Royal Purple if they cost 10 bucks a pop. I think I'll go that route instead. Thanks for the tip!

BTW, I'm having a hell of a time finding a 14mm hex anywhere in town. Biggest I have found is 12mm. Probably going to order one online.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #20
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
Quote:
Nice. That would actually be cheaper than the Royal Purple if they cost 10 bucks a pop. I think I'll go that route instead. Thanks for the tip!

BTW, I'm having a hell of a time finding a 14mm hex anywhere in town. Biggest I have found is 12mm. Probably going to order one online.
Try Sears:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=1298152938589
It's a 1/2 " drive but the Z4M diff plugs are on the passenger side of the housing so access isn't an issue.

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #21
franco209
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Just received mine from Amazon. $2.76 + shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UVP0DG
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 02:39 AM   #22
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep

Holy hell! I didn't know that the diff fluid without friction modifier was that much cheaper. I used friction modifier in my MR2 as well though, which also only had a viscous LSD from the factory.
Appreciate 0