ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
Rated M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB Z4MC

TO ANYONE who has removed/replaced thier interior trim

Quick question.. I am in the process of constructing my molds for 100% replacement CF interior trims and I need help from someone.

Anyone who has pulled their Carbon, or Wood grain trim off does the back of the "big" dash trim have aluminum or plastic alignment tabs?

I just want to know if the entire structure for the back is always aluminum or if that is included with just the aluminum.

Thanks!
      02-14-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
BlackMoupe
Mouper
United_States
Rep
Drives: _____

The radio surround big piece has clips on the back.

The shift surround has screws aligning it.

If that's what you're asking.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #3
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated M View Post
Quick question.. I am in the process of constructing my molds for 100% replacement CF interior trims and I need help from someone.

Anyone who has pulled their Carbon, or Wood grain trim off does the back of the "big" dash trim have aluminum or plastic alignment tabs?

I just want to know if the entire structure for the back is always aluminum or if that is included with just the aluminum.

Thanks!
The big dash trim is a cast aluminum structure that has a later applied laminate (whether aluminum-wood or leather.).

The tabs on the back are all part of that cast form.

It would be easy to copy the shape of those tabs and shape a ribbon out of clay to mold.

Later they could be layed-up with strips of carbon using the 45*x45* technique and post cut and then secondarily bonded to the back of "complete replacement" trim.That way the tabs would have flex.

But quite honestly......if your using vacuum Infusion,a cap design would save lots of mold design and build time/production.....not to mention final cost.

In fact....a cap design could easily be installed over existing trims and could also be removed later without the removal of said trim.(if selling car).

Du to the need to avoid warp and print-through....Vinylester (instead of Poly)...is very important here.

I'm certainly not trying to sound busy and in your kitchen......just trying to help if possible.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
Rated M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Schnitzer View Post
The big dash trim is a cast aluminum structure that has a later applied laminate (whether aluminum-wood or leather.).

The tabs on the back are all part of that cast form.

It would be easy to copy the shape of those tabs and shape a ribbon out of clay to mold.

Later they could be layed-up with strips of carbon using the 45*x45* technique and post cut and then secondarily bonded to the back of "complete replacement" trim.That way the tabs would have flex.

But quite honestly......if your using vacuum Infusion,a cap design would save lots of mold design and build time/production.....not to mention final cost.

In fact....a cap design could easily be installed over existing trims and could also be removed later without the removal of said trim.(if selling car).

Du to the need to avoid warp and print-through....Vinylester (instead of Poly)...is very important here.

I'm certainly not trying to sound busy and in your kitchen......just trying to help if possible.

Thank you for the much better than I had requested response!!

I have been placing some thought to this, a cap design would be very simple indeed, however I feel that I will lose a bit of the market that think that double sided tape will never touch their car. As well as this eliminates the carbon leather crowd as a cap isn't feasible.
      02-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated M View Post
Thank you for the much better than I had requested response!!

I have been placing some thought to this, a cap design would be very simple indeed, however I feel that I will lose a bit of the market that think that double sided tape will never touch their car. As well as this eliminates the carbon leather crowd as a cap isn't feasible.
While one can't please all.....The Leather Z line of Z4 consoles attached with Double sided 3M tape with great sales success.No option to fastening offered.

In the end....it comes down to what can be covered for the mass afford-ably both for you and the customers.( not to mention ease of install)

If the associated additional costs for plugging a parent part with tolerance sheet wax to cover the Leather customers is too much....then skip it.

Some will just have to obtain alloy or wood components to play.

If we have any UK/Right hand drive car owners here....I have about 12 of the large dash alloy sections available. That is usually the harder part to find and buy/ship.

Remember as you plan.....the only thing that will turn off a customer on this will be>

1)-Anything but a stellar smooth surface.
2)-Can NOT have tolerance issues from final trimming.
3)-Weave distortion or final level of direction in relation to item once mounted in car.

Since you already have the Vac bag experience....had you considered simply obtaining a full set as a start-up core and laminating.....then once a customer sent in his/her set for damage inspection you could ship the first set out and begin covering the newly arrived cores.

You could use a sheet of glass as the vac bag work top and jig the parent parts right to the glass after wet lay-up.

Then sand and clear-coat per order.(gloss/semi-gloss).

If someone wanted dry carbon...you could obtain some Pre-preg and vac the cloth down and place under heat lamps to achieve a low cost attempt at Autoclave- (minus the overall strength of pressure of course).
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

id be in for a cap, as long as it doesn't like one! lol, i don't mind the 3m tape, it's all about appearance for something like that for me
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
MikeRua
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Schnitzer View Post
While one can't please all.....The Leather Z line of Z4 consoles attached with Double sided 3M tape with great sales success.No option to fastening offered.

In the end....it comes down to what can be covered for the mass afford-ably both for you and the customers.( not to mention ease of install)

If the associated additional costs for plugging a parent part with tolerance sheet wax to cover the Leather customers is too much....then skip it.

Some will just have to obtain alloy or wood components to play.

If we have any UK/Right hand drive car owners here....I have about 12 of the large dash alloy sections available. That is usually the harder part to find and buy/ship.

Remember as you plan.....the only thing that will turn off a customer on this will be>

1)-Anything but a stellar smooth surface.
2)-Can NOT have tolerance issues from final trimming.
3)-Weave distortion or final level of direction in relation to item once mounted in car.

Since you already have the Vac bag experience....had you considered simply obtaining a full set as a start-up core and laminating.....then once a customer sent in his/her set for damage inspection you could ship the first set out and begin covering the newly arrived cores.

You could use a sheet of glass as the vac bag work top and jig the parent parts right to the glass after wet lay-up.

Then sand and clear-coat per order.(gloss/semi-gloss).

If someone wanted dry carbon...you could obtain some Pre-preg and vac the cloth down and place under heat lamps to achieve a low cost attempt at Autoclave- (minus the overall strength of pressure of course).
You have PM, im interested in what you have.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 01:13 PM   #8
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRua View Post
You have PM, im interested in what you have.
PM responded..........
Appreciate 0