ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Question on (fixed) Camber Plates?

First, is anyone here using them (especially non-M)? If so what brand did you go with? Did you see a change in front ride height?

Also what has been your long-term experience with them, assuming you're still on the stock suspension? Can the stock suspension handle increased negative camber from these plates over the long-term?

I'm considering Rogue Engineering given it's low cost and their reputation for quality. I know UUC also makes a pair, but it's 2x the price and their shipping / ordering process is a nightmare. Plus for that much, I'd go with race adjustable plates.

http://www.rogueengineering.com/rogu...es/CAMPLT.html
      02-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
1st_Knight
'Entwicklung 85 - Zukunft4'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4 SMG DINAN S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
First, is anyone here using them (especially non-M)? If so what brand did you go with? Did you see a change in front ride height?

Also what has been your long-term experience with them, assuming you're still on the stock suspension? Can the stock suspension handle increased negative camber from these plates over the long-term?

I'm considering Rogue Engineering given it's low cost and their reputation for quality. I know UUC also makes a pair, but it's 2x the price and their shipping / ordering process is a nightmare. Plus for that much, I'd go with race adjustable plates.

http://www.rogueengineering.com/rogu...es/CAMPLT.html
I have the Dinan Stage 3 Suspension, which included the installation of front Camber Plates. What was interesting, initially when they were installed, and for awhile the front was slightly higher by 1/8 -1/4 inch (plate thickness?) than the rear. However, after alittle driving, the height had settled and my car became practically equal & level all around...Not sure if I can answer your second question with long term experience...

Nonetheless, good luck
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st_Knight View Post
I have the Dinan Stage 3 Suspension, which included the installation of front Camber Plates. What was interesting, initially when they were installed, and for awhile the front was slightly higher by 1/8 -1/4 inch (plate thickness?) than the rear. However, after alittle driving, the height had settled and my car became practically equal & level all around...Not sure if I can answer your second question with long term experience...

Nonetheless, good luck
Thanks for the feedback, how much camber were you able to dial in? And you removed the strut pin correct?
      02-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
nlink720
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 Roadster

If you are ever going to get a coilover setup, I would suggest going with conventional camber plates since they will better integrate with a coilover. If you plan on keeping the oem type springs, and really want camber, then do this.

The thing is that camber is for combatting body roll at the tire, and normally people get stiffer springs and/or sway bars to combat body roll in addition. By getting these, you seem to be committing yourself against future coilovers.

I know this is not what you asked, but I had to say it. My bad.

Also, real camber plates get you more camber than these.

FS: Leather Recaro Pole Position Seats & Hardware
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

Have you looked at Vorschlag?

http://www.apexraceparts.com/Vorshla...ches_p_73.html

You can buy different perches for different springs so you're not boxed into a corner.....not fixed but adjustable.

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 08:51 PM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlink720 View Post
If you are ever going to get a coilover setup, I would suggest going with conventional camber plates since they will better integrate with a coilover. If you plan on keeping the oem type springs, and really want camber, then do this.

The thing is that camber is for combatting body roll at the tire, and normally people get stiffer springs and/or sway bars to combat body roll in addition. By getting these, you seem to be committing yourself against future coilovers.

I know this is not what you asked, but I had to say it. My bad.

Also, real camber plates get you more camber than these.

Understood but truth is I'm pretty content with the oem setup and decided it might be best to stay that way while I'm still under the factory warranty. As I compete more maybe I'll then consider a nice set of coils but the need isn't quite there yet. And because I'm leaning towards stock suspension, I thought "real" plates would be too much, thus the reason I asked the effects of adding neg camber to an otherwise stock ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrh3 View Post
Have you looked at Vorschlag?

http://www.apexraceparts.com/Vorshla...ches_p_73.html

You can buy different perches for different springs so you're not boxed into a corner.....not fixed but adjustable.

I'm aware of the Vorshlag plates and if I were looking to spend that much it'd be first on my list but this seemed like a good compromise between cost and value.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 02-03-2011 at 08:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Just picked mine up from the shop after getting a track alignment--neg 2.75 degrees without moving the tops of the struts, using just the E36 shim kit. Fits our cars, easy to install, cost just $25. And I'm running otherwise stock suspension and the OE wheels and Contis. Obviously, I haven't spent a ton of time with it yet, but my first impression is that it's a whole new car. Now, we'll see what it's appetite for tire is . . .

http://store.bimmerworld.com/e36-fro...-kit-p610.aspx

Edit: Might need to confirm they'll fit on the non-M Z4.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #8
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFGJR View Post
Just picked mine up from the shop after getting a track alignment--neg 2.75 degrees without moving the tops of the struts, using just the E36 shim kit. Fits our cars, easy to install, cost just $25. And I'm running otherwise stock suspension and the OE wheels and Contis. Obviously, I haven't spent a ton of time with it yet, but my first impression is that it's a whole new car. Now, we'll see what it's appetite for tire is . . .

http://store.bimmerworld.com/e36-fro...-kit-p610.aspx

Edit: Might need to confirm they'll fit on the non-M Z4.
Doesn't apply to non-M's
      02-03-2011, 11:27 PM   #9
nlink720
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 Roadster

Jaime or Gary at Bimmerworld can help you. I order E46 (non M3) stuff all the time and have no problems.

In fact, the new AST 4100 suspension on the way to me is for an E46 but will work.

I did the same for the GC Race plates i got last year. No problems. Same for several things.

....If you change your mind on suspension, I am still driving on the Koni/GC coilovers that I will be selling soon. If you want to drive it and see, we can meet up. The rear ext. adj. shocks will brand new from Koni and I could install the whole setup for you at same time as installing my new setup for myself at the DIY shop in VA. Just an idea on the table. I found too much body roll on oem springs and even H&R springs.

If you go your intended way, I would contact Bimmerworld and see what they can tell you about a suitable camber plate, perhaps one from the E46 non-M that would suit your desire.

Good Luck

FS: Leather Recaro Pole Position Seats & Hardware

Last edited by nlink720; 02-04-2011 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: addition (part dropped off from mobile device)
Appreciate 0