BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-24-2011, 11:50 PM   #1
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Local M3 accident questions

I came across this story on a local news website and was rather concerned by the photos. First I'd like to be clear that feel horrible for this man's family and I am wondering how such total destruction could have occurred with one of our cars.
Here's the link:
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/tr...w-1205635.html

It looks like it might be an E92 with the front HID projectors and hood setup. The rims appear to be different - aftermarket? Trunk spoiler is wrong too - aftermarket?

I really want to know what sort of speed was obtained to result in this damage to the car meeting with a tree. Usually I see them wrapped around the tree, but never split in half like this. How fast do you have to go to cut a car in half? Does anyone have any concerns with this related to build quality? Wouldn't the drive shaft and bolts have kept the car as one? I've spent a while looking at the photos trying to locate those parts.

Personally, with no first hand knowledge of this as I didn't see the scene, it appears that he was above 100MPH for this to be the end result. Any other thoughts?
My regards to the driver's family.
-TX
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

Repost
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480106
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 12:36 AM   #3
TX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
Yes, wow posted this thread and hadn't seen the current thread list. My mistake. I see there are several other threads started on it already. My appologies, I feel horrible reading that he was a local and a member here.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 12:53 AM   #4
M3KW
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 M3

I don't think build quality is a issue. The problem was that the car collided sideways with the tree at a high speed and with that, the tree basically acts like a blade. Also, it looks like the collision happened at the B pillar which I assume is a slightly weaker part of the car.

Bottom line is that even though we feel our cars are invincible, these pics prove otherwise. Be safe TX
      01-25-2011, 01:03 AM   #5
TX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3KW View Post
I don't think build quality is a issue. The problem was that the car collided sideways with the tree at a high speed and with that, the tree basically acts like a blade. Also, it looks like the collision happened at the B pillar which I assume is a slightly weaker part of the car.

Bottom line is that even though we feel our cars are invincible, these pics prove otherwise. Be safe TX
Thanks for the reply, I'm going to go hush on these questions as he was a member here and feel deeply for his family's loss. I hastily posted when I was shown the news by co-workers without reading the forum list. As much as I'd like to know the speed and I assume it was near 100mph, I dont think it's right to push the issue. I am glad nobody else was hurt or on that section of road.

At least he died driving the car that he loved and all of us love so much.
With respect to the family & friends.
-TX.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 02:20 AM   #6
Rshane
M-Flight Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3KW View Post

A good analogy would be the straw that can blast through a pıece of plywood durıng a tornado.

2015 Audi S4 Prestige, Brilliant Black S-tronic
2012 Le Mans Blue 135i M Pkg DCT
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 03:12 AM   #7
TX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshane View Post
A good analogy would be the straw that can blast through a pıece of plywood durıng a tornado.
So true.
My appologies for bringing up a sad and clearly horrific event which is discussed in length now in other topics.
Please don't drink and drive such a powerful car to this extent my friends. It was driven way beyond the realm of safety when under the influence or sober for that matter.
-TX.
Appreciate 0