BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Software Update = I-Drive Problems

Hi,

I did some searching and looking around, but didn't see anything specific to my problems. I just had a software update performed yesterday, and there are some significant changes to the idrive. There are some new menus, new options, and worst of all a new look to the audio interface. Now the idrive no longer displays the artist name and album from my ipod (never had this problem before). It has the space for it, but its just blank. Also, I now have trouble connecting my ipod. It will recognize it, then say 'reading...', then recognize it again, but never let me play music or access the ipod. I verified my ipod is the latest revision, and it is functioning properly.

Anyone else have this update yet, or experience these problems?

Thanks!

Tim
      12-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
What kind of iPod is it?

I had a similar issue with my iPhone and had to reset all settings on it after I updated the firmware on it. If you have an iTouch something similar might be in order.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Its a recent ipod classic (~2008). I really don't believe the ipod is the problem, because it worked for 8 hours straight on a road trip 2 days before. I've never had this type of problem before. It did work initially after the program, but then today I've had the issue. Just an FYI, I believe you may need a newer ipod cable to play songs from an iphone. I remember reading that, but typically I don't connect my iphone (except for BT). Thanks for the tip however, maybe I'll try a reset on the ipod anyways to make sure its not the problem.

Also, it looks like all of the new menus and selections are combox features. It has the phone messages and various other communication options. It has the office setting on screen, although none of it seems functional. Also, it looks like it may show album art on the screen. The only problem is that I don't have the combox option (hence the lack of functionality)! Hopefully I didn't get the incorrect version programmed.
      12-29-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhatimay View Post
Its a recent ipod classic (~2008). I really don't believe the ipod is the problem, because it worked for 8 hours straight on a road trip 2 days before. I've never had this type of problem before. It did work initially after the program, but then today I've had the issue. Just an FYI, I believe you may need a newer ipod cable to play songs from an iphone. I remember reading that, but typically I don't connect my iphone (except for BT). Thanks for the tip however, maybe I'll try a reset on the ipod anyways to make sure its not the problem.

Also, it looks like all of the new menus and selections are combox features. It has the phone messages and various other communication options. It has the office setting on screen, although none of it seems functional. Also, it looks like it may show album art on the screen. The only problem is that I don't have the combox option (hence the lack of functionality)! Hopefully I didn't get the incorrect version programmed.
What MY is your 135i?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #5
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
What MY is your 135i?
January 2009 Production (new CIC idrive)
      12-29-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
January 2009 Production (new CIC idrive)
This is quite a mistake twice... your early 2009 CIC was flashed with a 2011.5 CIC firmware and by a dealer. The 2011.5 firmware loaded and working in a 2009 CIC is no surprise -forum member Patrys is doing it right now for his CIC retrofits, and my own 2009 CIC will be loaded soon with it as well for my Combox retrofit.

The real surprise is how ISTA/P (dealer system) loaded this CIC firmware into your car while overriding your vehicle order and VIN. That's quite a biggie.

In the other hand, if this is really on purpose then that means that somehow BMW is setting all CIC to be able to be retrofitted with the Combox with this particular update... highly unlikely but possible.

You are correct, though... the reason that you are not "seeing" the iPod is that the CIC is now coded for a Combox and not for your existing MULF module. You should have issues with your Bluetooth and Assist as well if so equipped, i.e., there should be no functional Bluetooth/Assist in your car right now.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 11:51 AM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

What happened with this? This was quite a revelation...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #8
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Sorry for the delayed response! I know a few were waiting on pins and needles for the resolution.

I went back to the dealer to have them try to repair the ipod connectivity. I mentioned to the service manager that I felt that the wrong version had been programmed to the car. I also mentioned that there were many new features that were not functional nor compatible. He said that this is impossible, and it could never happen (due to ISTA). According to the report, they found errors codes in the system, and reprogrammed the car. The errors cleared (ipod still not connecting). They claimed they called the regional reps and were troubleshooting for 2 days.

However, after I received the car it was obvious that initially the wrong software had been programmed. Now it was reverted back to the traditional format and options. Meaning I lost all of the new combox features (office, album art, etc). Maybe I should have kept this and retrofitted the combox! I didn't like the new ipod HMI though, and I was happy to have my old screens back. I should note that although my ipod could not connect (after reverting to fully functional software version), they were able to successfully connect several other ipods/iphones to the car at the dealership. I was also able to connect with my iphone (bluetooth and via USB), but my ipod classic would not work.

I was fed up and finished with my holiday, so I took the car to another dealership. They replaced the ULF module and this repaired the problem in short order. Ipod and iphone work properly now, and software is now similar to the original on the car.

The salt in the wound was that the original dealer used every acronym he had and acted like I was silly for suggesting the wrong version had been put on the car. I wish I had taken a picture of the software versions before and after the visit. They also gave a me a run-around at the first dealership regarding my taillight recall (which was the entire purpose of the scheduled service BTW). The second dealership insisted it was not a recall on the car, but ended up fixing both taillights...I realize many customers may not be informed about their cars, but the condescending attitude towards customers and reluctance to listen is very frustrating. I love my car but my service experiences have all been extremely painful! It seems like I need to come in with a print-out every SIB on the car, and take a BT screen shot of all the codes and versions of the car before every visit. This back and forth without a car is a major inconvenience.

Tim
      01-07-2011, 06:15 AM   #9
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Sorry for the delayed response! I know a few were waiting on pins and needles for the resolution.

I went back to the dealer to have them try to repair the ipod connectivity. I mentioned to the service manager that I felt that the wrong version had been programmed to the car. I also mentioned that there were many new features that were not functional nor compatible. He said that this is impossible, and it could never happen (due to ISTA). According to the report, they found errors codes in the system, and reprogrammed the car. The errors cleared (ipod still not connecting). They claimed they called the regional reps and were troubleshooting for 2 days.

However, after I received the car it was obvious that initially the wrong software had been programmed. Now it was reverted back to the traditional format and options. Meaning I lost all of the new combox features (office, album art, etc). Maybe I should have kept this and retrofitted the combox! I didn't like the new ipod HMI though, and I was happy to have my old screens back. I should note that although my ipod could not connect (after reverting to fully functional software version), they were able to successfully connect several other ipods/iphones to the car at the dealership. I was also able to connect with my iphone (bluetooth and via USB), but my ipod classic would not work.

I was fed up and finished with my holiday, so I took the car to another dealership. They replaced the ULF module and this repaired the problem in short order. Ipod and iphone work properly now, and software is now similar to the original on the car.

The salt in the wound was that the original dealer used every acronym he had and acted like I was silly for suggesting the wrong version had been put on the car. I wish I had taken a picture of the software versions before and after the visit. They also gave a me a run-around at the first dealership regarding my taillight recall (which was the entire purpose of the scheduled service BTW). The second dealership insisted it was not a recall on the car, but ended up fixing both taillights...I realize many customers may not be informed about their cars, but the condescending attitude towards customers and reluctance to listen is very frustrating. I love my car but my service experiences have all been extremely painful! It seems like I need to come in with a print-out every SIB on the car, and take a BT screen shot of all the codes and versions of the car before every visit. This back and forth without a car is a major inconvenience.

Tim
Just wow.

Glad that everything works now.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
I noticed one strange side effect from the BMW update - my iphone still works (I do not have I-drive), but there is now about a 2.5 second delay from when you change a song to when the new track appears on the radio display. There is no delay in changing the song, just a delay in the display. It used to be synchronous.
      02-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #11
bmherold
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

2009 135i with essentially every option other than active steering...

Had the same situation as the OP - went in for an issue with my engine going into power reduction mode, they did the fuel pump replacement, tail light seal recall, belt pre tensioner replacement, etc.... and then for some reason, a complete reprogram of the vehicle!

End result... engine back to normal, and lots of new options in the iDrive as mentioned above. Same lack of artist/album on main audio screen, apparent placeholder for album art, and in addition I was having issues selecting individual artists and such (didnt work, could only use playlists), and had questions with some of the new menu items not seeming to do anything. I felt they had given the incorrect software.

Ended up taking it back in, lo and behold, I'm back to the old version haha. I also see a lag in the screen catching up to a song when I change tracks - but that was there before. I do kind of miss the new audio screen where I could do a next just by clicking the icon on screen though...

Any chance these might be coming to us in the future in a truly functional state?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
mackzilla
Private
Rep
Drives: Jeeeep Wrangler Unlimited

I've also got an early 2009 with idrive and they flashed on the new (nonworking) software. what is this new combobox?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #13
rps
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

I had the software up date a few weeks ago. Tried my Nano (5th gen) and it worked perfectly through the iDrive. My iPhone on the other hand did not display information on the Nav screen but had to be controlled through the iPhone itself. Luckily the iPhone stays in the snap in adapter in the arm rest and I rarely use the iPod to play music in the car.
      04-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #14
tim931
Rep
Drives: Black 2 door 120d

is it possible to to get an update for the 2008 idrive to?
Appreciate 0