New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

09-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
normtrum
Colonel
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

Question on cross crountry vehicle shipping: open vs closed container

Hi - I am finalizing a deal to purchase a vehicle in South Carolina and shipping it to the Seattle area. The vehicle falls into the "classic" category and has been completely restored to mint condition.

My question is for those who have experience in shipping cross country....is it absolutely necessary to use an enclosed truck or would an open air truck be ok?

The vehicle would be shipped withen the next few weeks....so weather should not be an issue.

The price diff is not huge....but it's a chunk. $1100 open vs $1800 enclosed.
      09-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Mcoupe

If it is "mint" yes it HAS to be an enclosed trailer or you will cry when you get it. Additionally that 1800$ might be an "enclosed" trailed that consists of tarps on the sides, you will cry when your car gets there with one of those as well.

You need to find a company that uses a true enclosed trailer, one that I know of is exotic car transport based out of orlando.
      09-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Anything with Wheels

I don't have experience with this, but I would not even consider shipping a "mint" car in anything but a fully enclosed trailer. Seems like money well spent to keep it protected.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Drives: ///M323 DCT

Fully enclosed trailers only.

NO BROKERS. Only deal directly with reliable companies or you will regret it when your car doesn't show up for weeks.

Make sure the guy takes high quality pictures of the car to document it.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Don't put it on an open car carrier. That's how a local-to-me HPF Stage 4 M3 was totaled - the carrier lost control and flung it onto the road, landing on it's roof. Better to be safe than sorry
      09-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
MF80
Captain
Thailand
Rep

Drives: AW 2008 E92 335i

Shop around...there should be about $400-500 different between opened and closed container. With opened container, the car will get really dirty from dust, rain, foggy, and bird sh!t if you're lucky.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Def covered....FULLY covered.

I bought a modded s60r from Texas several years ago, was shipped to MD at the owners cost in an open carrier......what a freaking mess when I got it. Luckily I like detailing or I would have been PISSED.

what did u buy? Do tell
      09-11-2010, 10:32 PM   #8
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Drives: I Can not say

Not going to tell you what to do, but.....

I had a driver stop close to my shop who was hauling a Cayenne uncovered on a flat bed. As a Cayenne owner at the time, I wanted to cry. It was brand new, still had the window sticker, non-Turbo, every option on the list. I do not have the words to describe how hideously filthy and covered with grit it was, not dirt grit like the sand and crap that you get from driving in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 12:42 AM   #9
normtrum
Colonel
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
If it is "mint" yes it HAS to be an enclosed trailer or you will cry when you get it. Additionally that 1800$ might be an "enclosed" trailed that consists of tarps on the sides, you will cry when your car gets there with one of those as well.

You need to find a company that uses a true enclosed trailer, one that I know of is exotic car transport based out of orlando.
good tip on the tarp...I will def check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
I don't have experience with this, but I would not even consider shipping a "mint" car in anything but a fully enclosed trailer. Seems like money well spent to keep it protected.
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Fully enclosed trailers only.

NO BROKERS. Only deal directly with reliable companies or you will regret it when your car doesn't show up for weeks.

Make sure the guy takes high quality pictures of the car to document it.
Good advice. I already have lots of pics...but I'll see if I can get some detailed close up pics of the finish....open or enclosed. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Don't put it on an open car carrier. That's how a local-to-me HPF Stage 4 M3 was totaled - the carrier lost control and flung it onto the road, landing on it's roof. Better to be safe than sorry
Your freaking me out. A story like that is cause enough for an enclosed truck. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsTech View Post
Shop around...there should be about $400-500 different between opened and closed container. With opened container, the car will get really dirty from dust, rain, foggy, and bird sh!t if you're lucky.
From what I've looked at so far you're spot on with the price diff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
Def covered....FULLY covered.

I bought a modded s60r from Texas several years ago, was shipped to MD at the owners cost in an open carrier......what a freaking mess when I got it. Luckily I like detailing or I would have been PISSED.

what did u buy? Do tell
Ha ha...I was waiting for someone to ask! I will let you no after I finalize everything...I'd like to keep this quite until then...I will say it is not a bimmer....but there is a lot of competition for these rigs...I got lucky and found it the day it was advertised. Been looking for about 2 years. Hopefully it won't get screwed up at the last minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
Not going to tell you what to do, but.....

I had a driver stop close to my shop who was hauling a Cayenne uncovered on a flat bed. As a Cayenne owner at the time, I wanted to cry. It was brand new, still had the window sticker, non-Turbo, every option on the list. I do not have the words to describe how hideously filthy and covered with grit it was, not dirt grit like the sand and crap that you get from driving in the snow.
thanks!

It looks like I will be going with a enclosed truck...I think I was actually looking for any kind of positive feedback on a open container....but I don't think anything positive is really out there. The extra 500-600 bucks is looking like a good idea.

Thanks everybody!
      09-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #10
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep

Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Black Series?
      09-12-2010, 11:41 AM   #11
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

Ship it open and get a full detail when it arrives. Your car will look better than ever and you will still save a few hundred bucks...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #12
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aut0sh0cker View Post
Ship it open and get a full detail when it arrives. Your car will look better than ever and you will still save a few hundred bucks...

no

ship closed and then get a full detail
      09-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #13
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Might as well drive it if you use an open trailer.
Appreciate 0