New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-28-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep

Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
What to do?

So i'm about to get out the Army. I don't want to get out but i don't have a choice (medical reasons). So anyways I don't have any college. What do you guys think I should do? I thought about being a state Trooper. I make about close to 45k a year. So i'm definitely trying to get a job with a salary within those numbers or better of course. Any suggestions on where to look first?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Could the Army pay for your education? If so I'd do this. If not, perhaps look into the trades if school is not your thing or you are hesitant to take out a loan? For example, A-card union pipefitters make upwards of $45/hr which at a 2088hr work year puts you over 90k gross income. Obviously you won't start as an A card but I know C cards make around $22/hr, and there is upward mobility.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
the army does pay for education. i just get nervous about school i don't know why. its funny because i wanna do something in the medical field. whats A&C cards?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
Feyd
Major
Rep

Drives: a DEEZZULL

Union Cards...

Don't sweat school... after serving, school will probably be a joke (as far as your nerves go).

If it were me, I'd definitely use the GI bill and get a degree of some kind. It really won't cost you anything but time, and 4-5 years is just a drop in the bucket compared to how much it could aid in your professional life.

No one says you have to use it once you get out, but sometimes having a degree will help you get your foot in the door somewhere/put you at the top of a pile of resumes, etc.

If you just want to get right into the work force, state troopers can make a decent living after putting in a few years. I know after the academy you will be somewhere between $40,000-45,000. after putting in some time obviously you can make more. Not sure how it works with troopers, but I know that city law enforcement can usually retire after 20 years or so with full pensions, so I can only assume it's similar.

Ever thought about private security?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #5
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopealle View Post
So i'm about to get out the Army. I don't want to get out but i don't have a choice (medical reasons). So anyways I don't have any college. What do you guys think I should do? I thought about being a state Trooper. I make about close to 45k a year. So i'm definitely trying to get a job with a salary within those numbers or better of course. Any suggestions on where to look first?
Dude, go to school on the government's dollar, you earned it. Get into College, collect the $1128 BAH plus file for unemployment in GA which will be another $1320 a month. If you're getting out on a medsep or just can't reenlist for medical reasons, you'll probably get disability compensation as well. You should seriously go to school, utilize the benefits you earned man.
      06-28-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i

Also, while in school, apply for the VA workstudy program. It will pay the state minumum wage, and it is tax free. You make your own hours, and get paid after every 50 worked. $7.25 an hour, you could put in 100 hours a month and pull in an extra $725. Add all the numbers up and you're looking at $3173 tax free a month while you're in school. And say you get a disability rating from the VA of like 50%, that's almost an extra 800...tax free...so you could potentially be pulling in almost $4G's a month net while in school. Not bad at all.
      06-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
PsychoSlug
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
For example, A-card union pipefitters make upwards of $45/hr which at a 2088hr work year puts you over 90k gross income. Obviously you won't start as an A card but I know C cards make around $22/hr, and there is upward mobility.
I have a friend and a family member that are both union pipefitters earning $40+ per hour in Chicago. Unfortunately they only get 50% to 75% of the hours you quote. That is only 2 examples, so take it for what it is worth, but keep in mind that the trades are suffering right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #8
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpratt34 View Post
I have a friend and a family member that are both union pipefitters earning $40+ per hour in Chicago. Unfortunately they only get 50% to 75% of the hours you quote. That is only 2 examples, so take it for what it is worth, but keep in mind that the trades are suffering right now.
Are they 597? Yes the trades are suffering right now, trust me the family business is an HVAC service/engineering company. Our guys are at about 75% of a typical work year, maybe closer to 80% of income due to over and doubletime. Business is slow, but picking up, hopefully it will sustain itself. But trades are typically directly related to the state of the economy, so now is a good time to learn them (or go to school for anything for that matter) and take advantage of what everyone hopes to be a positive economic turnaround in the near future. It's not for everyone, but was just a suggestion. It seems there are a lot of ex military in the trades, many do pretty well for themselves.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 12:05 AM   #9
Schm
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 330i

go to school. In the long run it's the best. Maybe private security if you can't find a job after that, if your medical condition dosen't prevent you from doing that.
      06-29-2010, 08:51 AM   #10
PsychoSlug
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are they 597? Yes the trades are suffering right now, trust me the family business is an HVAC service/engineering company. Our guys are at about 75% of a typical work year, maybe closer to 80% of income due to over and doubletime. Business is slow, but picking up, hopefully it will sustain itself. But trades are typically directly related to the state of the economy, so now is a good time to learn them (or go to school for anything for that matter) and take advantage of what everyone hopes to be a positive economic turnaround in the near future. It's not for everyone, but was just a suggestion. It seems there are a lot of ex military in the trades, many do pretty well for themselves.
Sounds right, but I'm not sure if they are 597. I wasn't knocking the suggestion at all. It was a good one. Just providing a word of caution based on the current economy.

If I could do it all over again, I would have gone into the trades; probably an electrician. I make a good living now, but I hate my job.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 09:00 AM   #11
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpratt34 View Post
Sounds right, but I'm not sure if they are 597. I wasn't knocking the suggestion at all. It was a good one. Just providing a word of caution based on the current economy.

If I could do it all over again, I would have gone into the trades; probably an electrician. I make a good living now, but I hate my job.
Yea true, while trades are certainly more drastically seasonal (even during economic expansion), it's really impossible to gauge the outcome of your education. Hell, I got an econ/business degree hoping to get into finance and here I am stuck working for my dad.

What do you do if you don't mind me asking
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 09:08 AM   #12
PsychoSlug
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What do you do if you don't mind me asking
I'm currently a department manager for a large manufacturer; but we're in the process of restructuring. Management is, for the most part, being eliminated. My new title won't have manager in it, which doesn't exactly improve my resume, and pay grades have been frozen or lowered across the board.

Sorry for spewing TMI - it is a sore subject for me right now.

Last edited by PsychoSlug; 06-29-2010 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #13
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambtron View Post
Dude, go to school on the government's dollar, you earned it. Get into College, collect the $1128 BAH plus file for unemployment in GA which will be another $1320 a month. If you're getting out on a medsep or just can't reenlist for medical reasons, you'll probably get disability compensation as well. You should seriously go to school, utilize the benefits you earned man.

Well i don't know anything about school. IU guess i'm gonna have to do some research this weekend. Yea I can't re-enlist because I have artritis in my neck and scholeosis. Man I love the army i'm gonna try to come back in after I ETS. Isn't there a certain process you ha ve to go through to get the BAH and school money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambtron View Post
Also, while in school, apply for the VA workstudy program. It will pay the state minumum wage, and it is tax free. You make your own hours, and get paid after every 50 worked. $7.25 an hour, you could put in 100 hours a month and pull in an extra $725. Add all the numbers up and you're looking at $3173 tax free a month while you're in school. And say you get a disability rating from the VA of like 50%, that's almost an extra 800...tax free...so you could potentially be pulling in almost $4G's a month net while in school. Not bad at all.
When i'm on my way out can you tell what all I need to do? I don't get out until March of next year. but my terminal leave starts in January. I have like 90 days of vacation leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schm View Post
go to school. In the long run it's the best. Maybe private security if you can't find a job after that, if your medical condition dosen't prevent you from doing that.
Yea but does private security pay as well as State Troopers get paid?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #14
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
im down to 2 months left in the army yyyaaaaayyyy
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #15
chungdae
The Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 Alpine White M3, S1000RR

Good luck getting a sponsorship.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #16
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Drives: Smoothly

If you want to talk about becoming LE, let me know. The best new people we have come from military backgrounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #17
brocken
Captain
Rep

Drives: X3MC

What do you actually have an interest in? It sounds like you're thinking the State trooper idea because of salary/benefits and their proclivity of hiring those with military background.

If you truly want to do something in the medical field there are tons of options. If you want to do direct care of patients you could start out as an LPN and work towards becoming an RN (I think it's a 2 year program). I'm not sure about your area but RN's make a really good wage most places. Could be a doc too...that's just a bigger commitment.
There's all kinds of tech type jobs too (xray, ultrasound, etc.) Most of those have shorter courses.

You can also get into the IT side if you'd rather work with the technology aspect.

I've worked in healthcare related jobs for the last several years and I'm happy I can help make a difference improving peoples' lives.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 04:49 PM   #18
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep

Drives: ///M323 DCT

I somehow managed to make friends with a bunch of marines in college. Lived with 2 of them. School is what you make of it, as it was exactly that for them.

The least motivated one got half way through his first quarter of freshman year and decided that playing world of warcraft was more fun than studying and doing work and dropped out after the first. The second wanted to do something, talked a big game, but just sat in his room all day playing military games on xbox and eating frozen/canned food. I think hes in his 6th year or so. Doubt he'll ever do anything. The last one did his work, studied hard, got into grad school for PA, and is still getting a free education and will have a great job when hes out.

It all comes down to motivation.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #19
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
I somehow managed to make friends with a bunch of marines in college. Lived with 2 of them. School is what you make of it, as it was exactly that for them.

The least motivated one got half way through his first quarter of freshman year and decided that playing world of warcraft was more fun than studying and doing work and dropped out after the first. The second wanted to do something, talked a big game, but just sat in his room all day playing military games on xbox and eating frozen/canned food. I think hes in his 6th year or so. Doubt he'll ever do anything. The last one did his work, studied hard, got into grad school for PA, and is still getting a free education and will have a great job when hes out.

It all comes down to motivation.
very true...no one is going to make your life but yourself

if you aren't motivated forget about going to college...army is one thing but college is a whole different ball game.

you would be crazy not to go to school. its free, and the education and the opportunities it can give you last a lifetime.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 09:41 PM   #20
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
I want to do the State Troopers but I am too heavy. FML
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #21
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

Drives: Smoothly

Too heavy? Can you do the physical testing? If so, they can't really say anything about your weight. Unless they have a BMI standard as part of their policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 10:01 PM   #22
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Unless they have a BMI standard as part of their policy.
Which would be retarded considering the well known flaws of BMI calculations
Appreciate 0