New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
max08e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E92

My son needs some advice...

My son has approached me with this dilemma, and I'm not sure how to answer him. I'm just looking for some advice, please no flaming. He's currently a third year in college, and has been doing an internship with a company called College Works Painting for 5 months. Basically they train students to sell exterior paint jobs to people, and give them a 10-15% commission after they paint. Here is the catch. He's been doing it for 5 months building up sales (currently at 31k) and is about to enter summer time. They don't make any profit until they produce 25k worth of work. He have earned only $200 dollars for the six months of work, from what they refer to as a stipend. Realistically he has spent more on gas money. Here is his dilemma. He have been offered another job that will pay better and will be easier but won't look as good on his resume as this internship. SO, would you stick out this internship working your *** off for another 3 months and make roughly 2-4 thousand while having it on your resume, or take on an easier work load making around 7k for the summer? He can't decide, and keep's thinking about his resume. So what do you guys think and what would you do if you were in his shoes???I appreciate any input...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
If the difference is only 3k, I'd go with what will look better on my resume. However, I'm still in college as well so my opinion may not be as valid as that of others.
      06-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #3
88Brimble
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 325i

Depends how bad he needs the money...basically (assuming, without all the details...) depends how much you're willing to/already helping him out, and I guess how he much he's willing to let you help him out.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
Kensta335
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 335i Coupe

I say go for the one that looks better on the resume. If he's low on funds then you should help him out.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep

Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
i wouldn't worry too much on the resume as he's still a student, when a company hires/target a students that just graduated...they'll care more on gpa and what school graduated from than experience.
now oh the otherhand if someone's been out working for many years, companys will focus on his/her work experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
mpimping
Banned
South Korea
Rep

Drives: gti

Its up to him. let him make his own decision. if money is an issue than an internship is a bad idea.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
towski1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: X5 M50i & 08 M Roadster

I may have missed something in the post, but it sounds like he's already in the internship that will look best on the resume. Why couldn't he leave now for the better pay and put both on the resume?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep

Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

How is he financially? If he is hurting then he needs to think short term and take the other job. If he can wing it financially then the lower paying, but higher respected job is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 09:30 PM   #9
mpimping
Banned
South Korea
Rep

Thats the problem these days, parents get too involved. they visit every wekend to do their laundry ect. i wish my parents were more involved but come on man. if he hates it he will take the job of course. how stable is the otherjob? does he know his prospective boss? is it possible that his new boss could like fire him in a week because h is wacked?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #10
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep

Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Holy crap. Lol, I was about to start that internship with CWP in March, but I dropped it because I wanted to pursue my own ventures.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 09:38 PM   #11
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep

Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpimping View Post
Thats the problem these days, parents get too involved. they visit every wekend to do their laundry ect. i wish my parents were more involved but come on man. if he hates it he will take the job of course. how stable is the otherjob? does he know his prospective boss? is it possible that his new boss could like fire him in a week because h is wacked?
Job security is a must.

Parents are super involved these days. I am in grad school and my parents have paid 0.00% of all of my college. I joined the Marines to kick some Hajii ass and to pay for college. Even though my dad could easily easily afford it; I choose to take life by the balls. He put my brother through Princeton... That shit aint cheap.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #12
mpimping
Banned
South Korea
Rep

Involved is good but doing their homework ect thats not good for them. internships sucks if you are broke but dont even know how much this would help.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 10:15 PM   #13
nightkhan
Private Woodman
United_States
Rep

Drives: 328i, JB, Space Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by max08e90 View Post
My son has approached me with this dilemma, and I'm not sure how to answer him. I'm just looking for some advice, please no flaming. He's currently a third year in college, and has been doing an internship with a company called College Works Painting for 5 months. Basically they train students to sell exterior paint jobs to people, and give them a 10-15% commission after they paint. Here is the catch. He's been doing it for 5 months building up sales (currently at 31k) and is about to enter summer time. They don't make any profit until they produce 25k worth of work. He have earned only $200 dollars for the six months of work, from what they refer to as a stipend. Realistically he has spent more on gas money. Here is his dilemma. He have been offered another job that will pay better and will be easier but won't look as good on his resume as this internship. SO, would you stick out this internship working your *** off for another 3 months and make roughly 2-4 thousand while having it on your resume, or take on an easier work load making around 7k for the summer? He can't decide, and keep's thinking about his resume. So what do you guys think and what would you do if you were in his shoes???I appreciate any input...
CWP from what I've heard from friends and students in the past is that it's a pyramid scheme, like that vector knives shit from high school days. I did my research in the past too when I was in college, and didn't pull the trigger because after asking the interviewers tons of questions, i basically made them indirectly confirm that all the money ends up with the guys on top, not you. Just took a long time to get around all their tricks and attractive sound bites. They make it sound lucrative, receiving commission off the sales, but at the end of the day, all the money flows to top managements and you get a shitty payout, if any. Having CWP on your resume is okay, but most real career companies post college won't care about it.

my 2 cents
Current: E92 328i, Sports Package, 335i wheels, Power Seats, BMW Assist/Bluetooth, IPod/USB, heated seats, //M Short Shifter
Future Mods: 19" CSL's, KW V2, 15mm spacer, tints
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #14
ben14142001
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

^haha, just saw the post above, yes, definitely pyramid schemes.

God, those college painting companies are such pyramid schemes. I worked for one a couple years back, and it sucked. I basically made jack shit for busting my ass all summer. My boss and his boss made bank for all my hard work. I would tell him to go for the other job and ditch out on CWP asap.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 10:26 PM   #15
mpimping
Banned
South Korea
Rep

Yeah report them. something didn't sound right about it and what is the new job? details.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 11:00 PM   #16
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep

Drives: black

If the internship is in his field or really lights his fire, do that. Painting might line his pockets for a summer but it will not further his career.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 11:06 PM   #17
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightkhan View Post
CWP from what I've heard from friends and students in the past is that it's a pyramid scheme, like that vector knives shit from high school days. I did my research in the past too when I was in college, and didn't pull the trigger because after asking the interviewers tons of questions, i basically made them indirectly confirm that all the money ends up with the guys on top, not you. Just took a long time to get around all their tricks and attractive sound bites. They make it sound lucrative, receiving commission off the sales, but at the end of the day, all the money flows to top managements and you get a shitty payout, if any. Having CWP on your resume is okay, but most real career companies post college won't care about it.

my 2 cents

There was a similar "scam" going around Arizona with selling alarm systems door to door...my friend got suckered into it and after an entire summer was under 1k net...working 12hr days 6 a week, he really tried to make it work. The pay/commission structure is fucked, it's just an easy way to take advantage of college students who don't know yet that by taking such a position that they aren't being "entrepreneurial" nor "taking life in their own hands" which is how these companies market themselves, to wanna be alpha dogs.

They've been dropping off CWP flyers at my parents house for years and they told me about it when I was in school looking for a summer job, checked it out and it was practically the same bullshit as the alarm selling thing. All of these that sound so good really aren't, I even followed up on a "meat delivery" position which was basically those guys who go around selling Omaha or whatever steaks and meat from their truck. The owner was charging out the ass for the product and the guys would keep anything left over from the sale, definitely not how the guy "sold" the job to me. After 3 days of evidence I never stopped showing up. My dad was glad I could recognize a bad deal when I saw one and gave me a job in his company.

It's been said before and will be said again, if it's too good to be true...(you know the rest)

There are "real" internships out there to be had, honest, paid, and with relevant firms. I'd seek out one of those if I were your soon. Even an unpaid with a reputable firm with a good internship program is better than being had for the better part of a year by a scam

Last edited by BTM; 06-04-2010 at 11:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 11:15 PM   #18
antongk
Private
Rep

Drives: '08 328xi e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightkhan View Post
CWP from what I've heard from friends and students in the past is that it's a pyramid scheme, like that vector knives shit from high school days....

couldn't agree with you more. this past year in college i went through the interview process with student painters which is pretty much the same thing as CWP. thankfully my dad gave me some solid advice that made me realize how the work was simply not worth the reward. Long story short, i quit before i even started working to concentrate on school.

IMO, my advice would be to not have him bust his ass for nothin. maybe if he has more time on his hands with this easier job try and see if he could take some spring courses.. other then that i would just stay away from CWP. i feel like they brain wash college kids into thinking it will be awesome on their resume.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 12:39 AM   #19
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep

Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Damn, thank god I called my manager the night before actual training and dropped out.

Did not expect to hear all this bad stuff, especially after I had talked to people previously in the CWP program who had nothing but good things to say. The kids I talked to made from 14-30k! I couldn't believe that, that's why I was so stoked for it.

Looks like I dodged a bullet.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 01:08 AM   #20
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
The kids I talked to made from 14-30k! I couldn't believe that, that's why I was so stoked for it.
These are their "exemplars"

This doesn't mean they aren't recruiters as well. They have something to gain from you, but unlike a "real" (for lack of better terminology) it is not an even trade/reimbursement, you are getting less and they are getting more.

It's like the Mary Kay sellers with their stupid pink Caddies, you know how long they've been working towards that? I'm a believer in the product sells itself, if it doesn't, then it isn't a normal good. There is always uncertainty but I am always wary of "overtly aggressive recruiting" practices...it's essentially a "reverse" salesman, the recruiter is selling you a job b/c he has something to gain from it
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 10:37 AM   #21
lib
Major
Rep

Drives: <This space for rent>

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
i wouldn't worry too much on the resume as he's still a student, when a company hires/target a students that just graduated...they'll care more on gpa and what school graduated from than experience.
now oh the otherhand if someone's been out working for many years, companys will focus on his/her work experience.
As someone who recently took part in the hiring of a few new college grads, I would be careful with that advice.

Everything matters. There is a sea of people out there who will end up graduating from the same school or better and have the same GPA or higher. The GPA only helps you make it to the final resume stack. The experience is what helps you get hired.

That being said, unless his target career path is in sales, there are probably more impressive internships he could pursue.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #22
nightkhan
Private Woodman
United_States
Rep

Drives: 328i, JB, Space Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by lib View Post
That being said, unless his target career path is in sales, there are probably more impressive internships he could pursue.
Even if his target career path is in sales, all other internships would be more impressive than CWP, except for vector knives, and selling home alarms apparently.
Current: E92 328i, Sports Package, 335i wheels, Power Seats, BMW Assist/Bluetooth, IPod/USB, heated seats, //M Short Shifter
Future Mods: 19" CSL's, KW V2, 15mm spacer, tints
Appreciate 0