New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep

Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
So my son almost strangled himself today... parents should read this.

I'm driving up the NJ Turnpike (in my wife's car) and I hear my son (almost 3 yrs old) playing with the backseat seatbelt. I turn around to tell him to stop and see my kid (in his carseat) with the seatbelt wrapped around his neck. The seatbelt was not being used since the carseat uses the latch system. My wife turns around and grabs it, but the belt won't release... it will only tighten. So I pull over on the shoulder and jump out and go to the back door. Somehow he managed to get the belt completely around his neck and as he starts squirming, the thing is tightening and won't release. I try to squeeze his head out, but it was only making it worse... after trying a couple of times, his head was pressed up against the head bolster and I could fit only my hand between the belt and his throat... and he is now crying and trying to get out. So I have my wife pull down on the belt so it won't roll up and tighten anymore and I go hunting for a knife or anything sharp in the car. After realizing I have nothing, I call 911. After what feels like 20 minutes (probably about 6-7 minutes) of just holding the belt and trying to keep him from moving, a cop finally comes and gives me a knife so I can cut the seatbelt.

My son was fine... just a little shaken up (as were me and my wife). By the time I pulled away, there were two police cars, a fire engine, an ambulance, somebody's BMW X5, 2 policemen, 4 firemen and 2 EMS guys (i'm sure there were more people there but it was turning into a circus and I lost count) on the side of the road. It was really a close call that probably would've been over in about 20 seconds if I had something to cut a seatbelt. So.... starting today I will be carrying a sharp ass knife in the glove compartment of both of my cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Wow, glad he's ok.

I carry a led flashlight that has a seatbelt cutter integrated as well as a window puncher in case you're underwater or something...I got it at work but I'll try and find a link to where you can purchase something similar
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
Feyd
Major
Rep

Drives: a DEEZZULL

Wow... glad to hear everyone is okay.

I carry a pocketknife on me all the time, old habit I guess... While I've never saved a life with it, it has "saved my ass" a time or two.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep

Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

I carry a Glock, a knife, and a seat belt cutter in the car. My glock has the water kit so it can fire under water. Why get a hammer when you can just shoot lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 335i e92

Wow. Glad your boy is ok. I never would have thought that would've been a possibility. Always good to keep a knife around.
      05-23-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep

Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Wow. I'm so glad your son is ok. Spread the word so that won't happen to anyone else's child.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
fnckr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2006 330i 6mt

I'm very glad your kid is fine. Thanks for sharing your experience and advice. I keep a multi-tool in my car, along with a Maglight flashlight, and mechanix gloves. However, my wife's car doesn't have the multi-tool. Based on your story it will tomorrow.
      05-23-2010, 07:38 PM   #8
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep

Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Thanks everybody. What I want to know is WTF is wrong with the seatbelt? Isn't the seatbelt tensioner supposed to f-king release when the car is stopped? It freaks me out to think what would've happened if I didn't hear him playing with the seatbelt!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 07:38 PM   #9
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: A car

Oh my word. So glad everyones ok!!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 2016 LBB M2

As a parent I'm really glad it turned out ok. Do yourself a favor, purchase one of these for each car. Breaks windows and cuts seat belts in case of an emergency.

http://www.swordnarmory.com/Marine-E...k-367-usmc.htm
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #11
fatjoez
student
No_Country
Rep

Drives: e90

great to hear your kids okay!
Something to laugh about later on no doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
I carry a Glock, a knife, and a seat belt cutter in the car. My glock has the water kit so it can fire under water. Why get a hammer when you can just shoot lol.
LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #12
wadgras44
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
Thanks everybody. What I want to know is WTF is wrong with the seatbelt? Isn't the seatbelt tensioner supposed to f-king release when the car is stopped? It freaks me out to think what would've happened if I didn't hear him playing with the seatbelt!
The belt locks and will only reverse when pulled all the way out. It is the way you secure a non-latch car seat into place. For that matter, this might be a perfect opportunity to ditch the latch (which I believe is only good until 50 lbs). Glad the story had a happy ending.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 08:53 PM   #13
len56
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: like a gentleman

Quote:
what's this water kit thing? sounds cool but i couldn't find it when i googled it?
      05-23-2010, 09:36 PM   #14
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
Originally Posted by len56 View Post
what's this water kit thing? sounds cool but i couldn't find it when i googled it?
as far as i know glocks can fire under water regardless and dont need any "kit"
      05-23-2010, 10:19 PM   #15
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Quote:
Because in a lot of states you can get dinged pretty bad for carrying a concealed weapon without a permit.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 12:11 AM   #16
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep

Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
Because in a lot of states you can get dinged pretty bad for carrying a concealed weapon without a permit.
I have a CCW.

Glocks do need water kits to 100% shoot underwater, it's a little piece of plastic. A stock Glock can, but it's not perfect, also I've heard that larger calibers have difficultly do to different pressure. Damn it's been so long I have no idea what it's called.

My competition G19:

Tungsten guide rod, 13 lbs spring, ghost 3 lbs trigger, extended controls, mag guide insert, plus some other goodies, like polishing.

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 02:16 AM   #17
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post

They use special spring cups. I think.

Quote:

It's can be a misdemeanor or a felony here depending on circumstances if I remember correctly. I have a CCW permit and in my state it is legal to carry in your vehicle. I always immediately and politely notify the police of my sidearm if pulled over.
      05-24-2010, 02:24 AM   #18
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Odysse

Good to hear everythings OK.
As other's have said, once you pull out the seat belt all the way, it'll lock as it's released.
If you really want to use the LATCH, then still plug in the seatbelt behind the seat, then pull it tight and release... or just tell him not to play with it.
Not sure how the kid was able to reach back to get the seatbelt. They're suppose to be in there tight.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 02:28 AM   #19
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

In Georgia it's a misdemeanor for the 1st offense and a felony for the 2nd offense.

Also CCW permits issued in one state may not honored in other states.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 02:45 AM   #20
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
In Georgia it's a misdemeanor for the 1st offense and a felony for the 2nd offense.

Yup, it's very important to check reciprocity laws before traveling.
      05-24-2010, 09:51 AM   #21
Maestro
Major
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Sorry to hear that happen to you kid, and glad to see it turned out okay,

But this is another example of people who came up with what they thought was a good idea (latch system for car seats) which could turn in to a bad idea. Kids are kids and having a seat belt loose like that is asking for kids to play with it. This would not have happen if the seat belt was use to secure the car seat. I know my kids tried playing with the seat belts on the car seat themselves and if they were not pulled tight the kids would work themselves out of them.

The reason the latch system came into existence is due to the fact people could not seem to figure out how to use the seat belt to buckle in their kids car seats. Because of this the car seat came loose. So they fix one problem of people have no clue how to use a seat belt only to create another problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #22
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep

Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:

What? That's stupid..
Appreciate 0