ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-13-2010, 12:00 AM   #1
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

CDV difference between M and non-M

Is it me, or is there a huge difference in the effect of the CDV on the M model versus the non-Ms? The CDV in my 3.0si was pretty tolerable and almost imperceptible, but the CDV in the M is absolutely unreasonable. I feel like a n00b all over again shifting from 1st to 2nd.

Maybe I'm just not used to driving it yet? I'm now seriously considering swapping in the Zeckhausen CDV I have sitting in my drawer, but I'm also worried that it's me, not the car. Like I said, I had no major gripes with the 3.0si (hence I never installed it).

In other news, I do really like the shorter clutch travel on the M. Stock shifter is too damn tall though. ZHP on the way.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 06:31 AM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I can't say definitively, but I definitely noticed the same thing as you when I test drove the various models a few years ago.
I didn't bother with the Zeck. unit this time, I just removed the CDV.

It's amazing the difference the ZHP knob makes.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
Steve P.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Coupe, 2008 M3 Sedan

I have driven lots of manual trans over the years, ranging from a Neon, Audi TT's, E36 M3, E90 325i, and now my M Coupe. I still don't really understand what everyone's issue with the transmission is? Sure it's a bit heavy, clunky at times, but smooth shifting has never been a problem for me with the Z4 M. I certainly don't look like a nOOb when driving it.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post
I have driven lots of manual trans over the years, ranging from a Neon, Audi TT's, E36 M3, E90 325i, and now my M Coupe. I still don't really understand what everyone's issue with the transmission is? Sure it's a bit heavy, clunky at times, but smooth shifting has never been a problem for me with the Z4 M. I certainly don't look like a nOOb when driving it.
Is this a new to you Z4 M or used? If used, have you checked to see if the CDV is, in fact, there?
      05-13-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
onebluemcm
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragan View Post
Is this a new to you Z4 M or used? If used, have you checked to see if the CDV is, in fact, there?
Ditto. And if it is there and you are thinking of getting rid of it, do it before you get used to it. My '04 M3 had it in and I got used to it over the 2.5 years I had the car so that it was second nature - as much as one could, I had perfected driving with the damned CDV. My new-to-me Z4MC does not have it, and it's really different. Not more difficult per-se, but not what I was expecting having driven the M3 for so long, getting used to the CDV. I like it better, no doubt, but it's work for me in it's own way to get it smooth. I had gotten used to sloppiness, not the best thing going to a very precise clutch feel. Also, I've only logged maybe 2-300 miles on it since we got it (don't ask, lame I know, many reasons....) so I haven't really had extended seat time with it to get used to it as I would like to.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Guess this is a mod I need to do. I just changed up to the ZHP and it's definitely a sportier shorter feeling shift.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #7
Steve P.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Coupe, 2008 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebluemcm View Post
Ditto. And if it is there and you are thinking of getting rid of it, do it before you get used to it. My '04 M3 had it in and I got used to it over the 2.5 years I had the car so that it was second nature - as much as one could, I had perfected driving with the damned CDV. My new-to-me Z4MC does not have it, and it's really different. Not more difficult per-se, but not what I was expecting having driven the M3 for so long, getting used to the CDV. I like it better, no doubt, but it's work for me in it's own way to get it smooth. I had gotten used to sloppiness, not the best thing going to a very precise clutch feel. Also, I've only logged maybe 2-300 miles on it since we got it (don't ask, lame I know, many reasons....) so I haven't really had extended seat time with it to get used to it as I would like to.

Good point, I will check, where and what exactly am I looking for to see if the CDV has been deleted?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Swapped the CDV today for a Zeckhausen unit. The difference, as many of you have said, it absolutely night and day. It's hard to believe it until you do it. The drive home from the shop was an absolute blast.

Should have the ZHP knob tomorrow. May try to install the beefier RE tranny mounts myself at some point -- haven't gotten the grind yet, but I definitely experience inconsistent notchiness and it seems like a cheap, effective preventative measure, if nothing else.

Anyway, CDV removal/replacement FTW.
Appreciate 0