New Ytest
Sign out
Bimmerpost
Login
BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  
Go Back   BMW E39 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-23-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: ///M235i

CLIFF NOTE: basically after ordering tires and waiting for them to arrive (even bought a spare and everything), they called me today and said that they can't install them on the car. They said it's not about the spare, just couldn't install different tires other than runflats. Other Costco's said they could do it.

So after a few weeks debating on which tires to go with and also all-season vs summer, I decided to go with a set of Bridgestone summer tires at Costco (chose them over America's/Discount Tire for convenience even though they take longer to order the tires- 5-10 days).

Anyhow, they called me last night telling me that the tires were in (only took 4 days). They said Wednesday is the earliest they could install them. I told them to schedule it for any day after Wednesday because my spare won't be in until Wednesday night (which they require). So anyhow, the guy then went and talked to his manager, came back and said I would have to bring the car in for them to determine if they can/will do it or not. I asked why and they said "well it's because the tires are non-runflats so it's gonna be different specs than the original tires (uh huh)." My thought was "wtf??" so I decided to call them this morning.

Before calling them I called 4 other Costcos, all saying that as long as I have a spare, I can get non-runflats (pretty much what the original Costco told me after me asking them 4 fucking times). So I called them to schedule an appointment. About 45 minutes later the guy called back saying "oh we spoke with you last night right? you have to bring in your car and talk to the manager." Curious again, I asked them what specifically is the issue and they said some liability crap. They said it's not just about the spare but the non-RFT could cause damage to the suspension (). So after explaining to the guy he related the info to his manager whom in turn spoke to some district manager and they basically said they can't do it. The decision rests with the district manager and he would probably require some written statement from BMW saying that it will not damage the car.

So after everything- the asking, the making sure, the buying a spare, the ordering, the waiting, all the phone calls and explanations, and even after the tires have arrived- they decided to pull this shit on me. I even called BMW dealers for fun and asked SA's about it and they said it's not going to cause any adverse damage. I even told them that the majority of BMW owners have already swapped out their runflats to non-RFT and I have never heard of anything getting damaged.

So I called back those other Costcos and they said I can just buy the tires from the original one and have them installed at their location. I called America's tire and they said about a day to order the tires so it would take about the same amount of time for either one. So should I go with America's/Discount Tire or go to another Costco?

Last edited by BMW F22; 03-23-2010 at 08:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 12:04 AM   #2
DimSumBoy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 08 e92 335i

Garage List
08 335i  [0.00]
I work at americas tire in walnut creek as a tire tech

we just had a sale for 100 dollar rebate on sets of 4, but I have no idea when the next one is. this is rather common. most people end up ordering them that day and they come the next day or during the week.

as for the rft problem, I dont know what the salesmen tell them, but I put my invo's on at my shop with no problem.
      03-24-2010, 12:35 AM   #3
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: ///M235i

America's tire doesn't have a problem with selling you non-runflats. Freaking Costco does! It's so annoying because we actually went through everything and just when they're about to install the tires they're backing out. So lame...
Appreciate 0