BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-14-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
dlchasen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '07 911 C2S

Silverstone Question

I just placed an order for ED in May. I'm a coupe guy and I really like the extended Fox Red interior. My toughest choice was the exterior color as I was torn between AW (great looking) and SS. I saw older cars with the previous silver color, but never got to actually see SS except on photos, and photography can be deceiving. I wound up ordering the SS because I think it will have a rich depth of color, it's a little less common than AW, and it should be a little easier to keep clean. Can anyone having seen SS in person comment on it versus the previous silver and how it looks with FR?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
BigHat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 E93

I walked around a friend's M5 in SSII for over a year and love it. This is my take on the color:

1. M exclusive color so you won't see it that much

2. True chameleon. Sometimes it's an unmistakeable light grey, other times picks up a hint of blue and sometimes more blue than gray. If you didn't know better, you'd swear it was a different paint job seeing it 1) in sunshine, 2) on an overcast day and 3) inside a parking garage.

3. I think Fox Red only works with the grays, white and SS II, but equally well with all.

I have a SSII with Fox Red on order so you know how I feel. Good luck to you.

Now you and maybe others can help me. My dealer talked me out of extended leather as being a wasteful option. I didn't think it wasteful, but have to admit all the extra red on the dash might be a bit of overkill and that std black panels may even enhance the overall look. I would sincerely appreciate any opinions on this. My build date is still a month away so I can change the specs if I act soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

dlchasen,

Please check this thread out------> http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319535

And this one----> http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89523

btw, congrats on your order!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #4
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

Thumbs up lots of photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
dlchasen,

Please check this thread out------> http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319535

Nawaaz thats a whole lot of SSII pics!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
dlchasen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
I walked around a friend's M5 in SSII for over a year and love it. This is my take on the color:

1. M exclusive color so you won't see it that much

2. True chameleon. Sometimes it's an unmistakeable light grey, other times picks up a hint of blue and sometimes more blue than gray. If you didn't know better, you'd swear it was a different paint job seeing it 1) in sunshine, 2) on an overcast day and 3) inside a parking garage.

3. I think Fox Red only works with the grays, white and SS II, but equally well with all.

I have a SSII with Fox Red on order so you know how I feel. Good luck to you.

Now you and maybe others can help me. My dealer talked me out of extended leather as being a wasteful option. I didn't think it wasteful, but have to admit all the extra red on the dash might be a bit of overkill and that std black panels may even enhance the overall look. I would sincerely appreciate any opinions on this. My build date is still a month away so I can change the specs if I act soon.
Here's a thread which contains pics of both FR formats:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...t=color&page=3

My personal taste runs to extended. I like the carbon fiber leather trim, and I thought the mass of black without it was very plain. Most cars that pay special attention to interior design with expensive components have some real pop (Ferrari, Maserati, Aston Martin, etc.) and make no attempt to be overly conservative.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
dlchasen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
dlchasen,

Thanks for directing me to those threads. It would appear that most owners of SS like it, as do most owners of AW. Probably can't go wrong with either. Absent seeing both with FR interiors side-by-side, I'll just have to wait until I walk up to it at the Welt. Last time I did that was a silver 650 with Bordeaux interior, and I loved it at first sight.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Old and outdated photos of my car. Has Black interior with CF leather trim. I love my SSII to death. Seeing as 8/10 M3's at every meet, or on the road are AW, I've personally gotten much too bored of the color.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #8
BigHat
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlchasen View Post
Here's a thread which contains pics of both FR formats:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...t=color&page=3

My personal taste runs to extended. I like the carbon fiber leather trim, and I thought the mass of black without it was very plain. Most cars that pay special attention to interior design with expensive components have some real pop (Ferrari, Maserati, Aston Martin, etc.) and make no attempt to be overly conservative.
Thanks for the thread. VERY helpful !!!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Haha, I read the question better. This is just my opinion, but I have two friends with AW cars and red interiors, one that's a E92 M3 and one that's a E92 335i. IMO, the Fox Red in the M3 is more of a brownish color, whereas the 335i's red is more of a rich red.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #10
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

Quote:
I just placed an order for ED in May. I'm a coupe guy and I really like the extended Fox Red interior. My toughest choice was the exterior color as I was torn between AW (great looking) and SS. I saw older cars with the previous silver color, but never got to actually see SS except on photos, and photography can be deceiving. I wound up ordering the SS because I think it will have a rich depth of color, it's a little less common than AW, and it should be a little easier to keep clean. Can anyone having seen SS in person comment on it versus the previous silver and how it looks with FR?
SS gives you just another "silver" BMW, but AW really shows off all the M3's lines; especially with the darker 18" wheels (IMHO):
Attached Images

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #11
BigHat
Lieutenant
Rep

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike AW, in fact, it's the best for the CF roof option, but in my view white rarely highlights a car's lines, in fact it tends to mask them.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 12:05 PM   #12
BCA
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

On the interior, I prefer the non-extended. This is especially true with Fox Red...I think the extended is just too much. Sure, it breaks up the black monotony, but I just don't think it looks that great. No offense to anyone that has it by the way because I don't think it looks BAD...it's just not my cup of tea. I'd consider extended with black if I just had money to burn, but with the other colors non-extended not only costs less but generally looks better IMO.

About SSII: Let's just say it isn't my favorite. I like the fact that it's M-exclusive and that every once in a while it actually looks silver; but other than that, no thanks. Obviously there are plenty of SSII fans out there though, so enjoy it if that's your choice.

Past BMWs: 2015 M3, 2014 550i, 2013 M3 ZCP, 2012 535i, 2011 E90 335i, 2009 E90 M3, 2008 X5, 2006 330i, 2004 330i
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #13
cap_freez
Lead, follow, or get the hell out of my way
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X3, 2013 RS5

My two favorite current M colours are SSII and Melbourne Red. I like alpine white but you see way too many of them IMO. SSII makes the car look kind of ''high tech'' I find, a great M colour with fox red for sure.
      02-14-2010, 12:21 PM   #14
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

AW for me, looks way better IMO.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #15
dlchasen
Enlisted Member
Rep

AZ-BMW raises an interesting point about the darker 18" wheels, especially since I'm going with them. I know they look good with the AW, and I just assumed they'd look good with the SS as well because it's a lightish color, too.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #16
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

As an ex-owner of millennium silver with red interior, and current owner of SSII, I can tell you it's NOT the same. I bought the car blindly thinking it was going to be very similar to millennium silver, but it's more of a bluish silver, regardless of lighting conditions. Not bad, but a bit feminine for my tastes. I was going to leave the car alone, but after my accident, decided to make it more aggressive, so will powdercoat the wheels semi-gloss black, replace stock grilles with matte black ones (to avoid conspicuous rock chips), replace gills with body-colored ones (black is too much IMO), powdercoat muffler flat black and tips semi-gloss black (just like the wheels), and 35% tint all around, which I was going to do regardless (hot TX here).

As far as red, I liked my previous red interior, which was more of a rich burgundy; very classy. Fox red just doesn't do it for me at all, especially with SSII. And even less extended; makes it look like a pimp car (no offense to current owners; it's just my opinion).

Having said all that, it seems to me you already made your decision, so why bother? If you like it, the hell with the rest of us . On the plus side, it's a unique M color, which is good. On the other, don't worry if other people have the color you want; you can individualize it in many different ways. Go with what you like and forget about nonsense like 'the color is too common'.

Finally, since I bought a leftover model, I didn't want to be too picky with colors and options, and decided on white and SSII, but if I had seen SSII before, I'd have gone with AW, to be honest. As a previous red interior owner, I considered it, but immediately took it off the list when I saw it, and went with the safest bet on this car: black. I have extended, but it's hardly noticeable, so not a 'must' IMO. It's nice to have though. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 12:57 PM   #17
M3Alpine
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 AW/SO

SSII is a great color. Goodluck
2015 AW/SO
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #18
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

silver stone looks awesome.... i have seen it many times in person and it has a lot of depth to it and is more complex than AW... you wont regret it.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #19
dlchasen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
As an ex-owner of millennium silver with red interior, and current owner of SSII, I can tell you it's NOT the same. I bought the car blindly thinking it was going to be very similar to millennium silver, but it's more of a bluish silver, regardless of lighting conditions. Not bad, but a bit feminine for my tastes. I was going to leave the car alone, but after my accident, decided to make it more aggressive, so will powdercoat the wheels semi-gloss black, replace stock grilles with matte black ones (to avoid conspicuous rock chips), replace gills with body-colored ones (black is too much IMO), powdercoat muffler flat black and tips semi-gloss black (just like the wheels), and 35% tint all around, which I was going to do regardless (hot TX here).

As far as red, I liked my previous red interior, which was more of a rich burgundy; very classy. Fox red just doesn't do it for me at all, especially with SSII. And even less extended; makes it look like a pimp car (no offense to current owners; it's just my opinion).

Having said all that, it seems to me you already made your decision, so why bother? If you like it, the hell with the rest of us . On the plus side, it's a unique M color, which is good. On the other, don't worry if other people have the color you want; you can individualize it in many different ways. Go with what you like and forget about nonsense like 'the color is too common'.

Finally, since I bought a leftover model, I didn't want to be too picky with colors and options, and decided on white and SSII, but if I had seen SSII before, I'd have gone with AW, to be honest. As a previous red interior owner, I considered it, but immediately took it off the list when I saw it, and went with the safest bet on this car: black. I have extended, but it's hardly noticeable, so not a 'must' IMO. It's nice to have though. Good luck.
I would probably prefer the titanium silver, but I don't think a touch of blue will either ruin the appearance or my masculinity I just see AW with FR as a bit "boy racerish". In addition, silver on red is a classic BMW/Mercedes combo that's been shown for decades. Once you settle on FR, the exterior choices are limited. I refuse to own another black swirl monster and Space Gray is very dull to me, although many certainly like it. Sparkling Graphite might have been nice.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 01:45 PM   #20
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
AW for me, looks way better IMO.
Your M3 looks drop dead gorgeous!

I say go for AW w/18's.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #21
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
I would probably prefer the titanium silver, but I don't think a touch of blue will either ruin the appearance or my masculinity .
As I said, seems crazy to discuss something you already decided since you're gong to just defend your decision, but was giving you my opinion as an actual owner. Hope you like it. If you haven't seen FR, it's NOT the classic color you're expecting either, plus it seems to wear the quickest, so be really careful with it, and condition it regularly. Signing off this thread. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 02:23 PM   #22
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
I had this very combination and though I loved it the jury was still out amongst my friends and workmates. In a very sunny it looks silver but if the day is dull the blue is very noticeable and some felt in this light the FR didn't suit quite as well.
Appreciate 0