BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

The software the M3 should have had...

Although I've been happy with the adjustability and customization the M3 offers the Ferrari 458 Italia really takes it to another level. Check out this video:

The only difference between this truly sublime level of performance and adjustability is software. Sure software won't get the M3 the power to weight nor sheer numbers of the 458, but I am referring to what can be controlled by software. Specifically the invasiveness of DSC in either On or MDM mode needs some work compared to this. Perhaps the new DSC software in the ZCP will be an improvement. Hopefully a hack can deliver that to the non ZCP owners.

The trends we have discussed here in the forum many times continues here with the 458 - ultimate supercar performance, wonderful customization/adjustment through software yet amazing accessibility (recall the GT-R discussion). The result is a car as at home on the track at 10/10ths as it is for a quick trip to grocery store or on a daily commute. And alas, another great decision by Ferrari to offer the car only with a DCT. Also on that point I would be willing to bet anything this DCT is truly bug free.

It begs the question as to why the M3's software isn't this good? Surely BMW has the technology from its race programs. Is it hardware, time to market, existing software "good enough"? I seriously doubt it is cost, it is just code and there is no fixed price per unit for the software content. I am leaning toward the "good enough" point.

The last observation is on how darn green the 458 is. It has an impressive 25% power to weight advantage over the M3 but only produces 12% more CO2 per km. Less CO2 than the Scuderia as well. What an achievement.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Swamp, I agree with most of what you said except the part about its only programming. That is true to a point, but at a certain level, the hardware must be able to keep up with the software. All of the threads about the DCT seem to support that there are clearly things BMW could have done in both areas. Plus, good enough at one price point is not at another, i.e. M3 to 458. On the side, I like the last part of the vid where he says F-it! lets slide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Swamp, I agree with most of what you said except the part about its only programming. That is true to a point, but at a certain level, the hardware must be able to keep up with the software. All of the threads about the DCT seem to support that there are clearly things BMW could have done in both areas. Plus, good enough at one price point is not at another, i.e. M3 to 458. On the side, I like the last part of the vid where he says F-it! lets slide!
Electronic hardware could be a limiting factor, i.e. processor speed, however a brake is a brake and a DCT is a DCT. The Differential though is one case where the differences are hardware+software. The E-diff in the F. is truly software controlled whereas the Visco-Lok diff on the M is entirely mechanical. Nonetheless software is more important these days than ever.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Although I've been happy with the adjustability and customization the M3 offers the Ferrari 458 Italia really takes it to another level.
It's like comparing the M3 to a Fit sport (yeah, same price disparity ).
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I get what you're saying about the DCT software, but comparing a $65,000 car to a $250,000 car and expecing the cheaper car to be as good as the 4 times more expensive car is pointless.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
I get what you're saying about the DCT software, but comparing a $65,000 car to a $250,000 car and expecing the cheaper car to be as good as the 4 times more expensive car is pointless.
+ 1

I mean really what the M3 offers is well beyond its price tag
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 11:03 PM   #7
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

dont think he expects it to be as good...just a TC unit that closer to it
BW C13 - 1:57:2
ACS - 1:49:6
WSIR - 1:30:6
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 01:12 AM   #8
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyrusso View Post
dont think he expects it to be as good...just a TC unit that closer to it
Absolutely correct^.

It is only stating the obvious that you get what you pay for. It is also widely accepted that the M3 packs a tremendous bang for the buck. No disagreements there. I am just a bit puzzled as to why the software wasn't made/isn't better than it is. You can easily argue on a cost basis why the brakes themselves are not better but that argument does not really work for software. Again, it is just software.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 02:22 AM   #9
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Got it and totally agree, but I though MDM was a similar mode where it allowed some slip before cutting in?

I'd much rather have a 3 step DSC than a 6 step DCT control, which really only needs 3-4 modes at most in manual mode.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 04:19 AM   #10
M-Tuned
JOY IS BMW.
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW/FR E92 M3 & 2018 X5

what? the shift paddle on Ferrari doesn't turn with steering wheel?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #11
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Tuned View Post
its better that way imo... cos when you turn the steering wheel, you always know where the paddles to upshift and downshift are.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #12
RichB
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Absolutely correct^.

It is only stating the obvious that you get what you pay for. It is also widely accepted that the M3 packs a tremendous bang for the buck. No disagreements there. I am just a bit puzzled as to why the software wasn't made/isn't better than it is. You can easily argue on a cost basis why the brakes themselves are not better but that argument does not really work for software. Again, it is just software.
How is software developed? By people...salaries to design, develop, test is not free. It is true that the variable cost to implement on an additional car is nearly $0, but the upfront cost can be quite high (think Microsoft, etc). Same can be said about a manufacturing physical products. Typically, the incremental cost to produce a physical part is not as high as the upfront cost to design it.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #13
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

Saw this video awhile back and its impressive as their track setting is actually producing faster lap times than all safeties off.
I'm sure in the hands of a professional driver they might be able to squeeze out a few tenths or maybe even a second of performance more out of it with everything off, but the results would be minimal at best. The car is very consistent lap after lap and that is more important than overall times in my opinion

Software like this would be great. I'd love a race mode. I dislike DSC normal Mode and Mmode is still very invasive when you want to have fun and drive at the brink of 10/10s at the track. So when I am at the track full DSC off it would be really nice to have even the furthest point of TC to try and take on physics only when the car realizes its about to die. Great job Ferrari
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 02:09 PM   #14
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
Chris Harris FTW!
BMW E92 M3 6MT, G-Power SKII supercharged, custom exhaust with 100 cell cats and Remus Sport mufflers, Brembo 380mm BBK, BMW Performance steering wheel, LUX H8 angel eyes, CF CSL boot, Hamann CF diffuser, Vorsteiner CF lip, CF grilles, CF gills, CF bonnet vents, BMW Performance stripes, RAC RG63 wheels, Eibach lowering springs, camber modifications.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #15
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Tuned View Post
I think it's because you're not supposed to be shifting and turning at the same time?
      02-13-2010, 03:10 PM   #16
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
How is software developed? By people...salaries to design, develop, test is not free. It is true that the variable cost to implement on an additional car is nearly $0, but the upfront cost can be quite high (think Microsoft, etc). Same can be said about a manufacturing physical products.
Agreed. I never meant there is no cost, but just no true part cost per vehicle. Sure the software has to be loaded but that is independent of the quality/function/complexity of the software. My point is that BMW surely had better software than what they actually released say from their racing programs. In that regard no extra costs such as those you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
Typically, the incremental cost to produce a physical part is not as high as the upfront cost to design it.
In regards to manufacturing the upfront vs. per piece cost is entirely a function of the part and volume. For cars made in any appreciable volume the part cost far outweighs the development costs.

Also Microsoft enjoys huge margins not obtainable in most high volume manufacturing.

P.S. I'm in the software field myself at a NASDAQ software company.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #17
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda///Monic View Post
Saw this video awhile back and its impressive as their track setting is actually producing faster lap times than all safeties off.
I'm sure in the hands of a professional driver they might be able to squeeze out a few tenths or maybe even a second of performance more out of it with everything off, but the results would be minimal at best. The car is very consistent lap after lap and that is more important than overall times in my opinion

Software like this would be great. I'd love a race mode. I dislike DSC normal Mode and Mmode is still very invasive when you want to have fun and drive at the brink of 10/10s at the track. So when I am at the track full DSC off it would be really nice to have even the furthest point of TC to try and take on physics only when the car realizes its about to die. Great job Ferrari
Indeed, when the software is so good that it produces the best results for both those less experienced and for pros you know you got it right. It would be interesting to know if Ferrari test drivers use the "nannys" to get their lap records. I would not bet against that.

M mode absolutely is too invasive. So again I am looking forward to the new ZCP software and hopefully a hack to get it.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #18
waremark
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Coupe DCT

You guys who think MDM is too intrusive, what do you find you can do better with it off? Can you get better lap times with it off? Don't you find you can get the car quite sideways with it on?

A couple of people have commented on Ferrari's having paddles fixed on the column, instead of turning with the wheel. Lambo's also have the paddles fixed, but in both cases they use much larger paddles so they are easier to find. In Ferrari's and Lambo's there is no shifter in the centre of the car; I reckon that the M3 can give us the best of both worlds, paddles by your fingers when you are steering with fixed grip, and a shifter in the centre for when you use different steering methods and so your fingers are not by the paddles.

If you like this video of Chris Harris in the 458, do you all remember him driving his own M3 round an amazingly slippery Nurburgring in November 2007? It made me impatient for my car to arrive!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallp...0&CT=V&FLT=34|

I think Chris Harris is a great broadcaster, and I am delighted that he is now making videos again regularly at Evo.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #19
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

I love to watch Chris Harris. Really. But this is one video where I wish he would just shut up and let us hear the sound of that Ferrari.
      02-14-2010, 11:37 AM   #20
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

I would have thought how the 458 drives on the track (wrt to TC) is mostly irrelevant to the M3 which for ~99.9% of owners is strictly a street driven car. I suspect its easier for TC to be smooth and progressive on a pool table smooth high grip track...far more important is how the 458 would drive on bumpy streets with variable grip levels.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #21
waremark
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Coupe DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
I would have thought how the 458 drives on the track (wrt to TC) is mostly irrelevant to the M3 which for ~99.9% of owners is strictly a street driven car. I suspect its easier for TC to be smooth and progressive on a pool table smooth high grip track...far more important is how the 458 would drive on bumpy streets with variable grip levels.
Chris found the 458 sublime on the road; that vid is also on the EVO website.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 10:06 AM   #22
MN M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Several points are missed in this discussion.

1. The 458's development cycle is much newer than the M3's. The M3 was planned and programmed several years ago - probably 5-6 by now. The 458's program is about 4 years newer. Better programming from more advancements?
2. Software is NOT the only missing link here, and it is not a zero-cost issue. The per copy cost is near zero, but that misses the millions (if not billions) spent on development. Plus, the software is only as good as the hardware that is it programmed to use. Comparing the M3 to the 458 is pointless. Entirely different philosophies, engineering, materials, etc. The 458 weighs hundreds of pounds less than an M3. The 458 has no backseat, no need for rear headroom, no sedan to accommodate, etc.
2009 E92 M3 - Jerez Black/Black w/ black carbon leather interior, 6 spd., Cold, Premium, Technology, 19" OZ Racing wheels (black), iPod/USB. Mods: aPe air filter, Borla exhaust, H&R sport springs, UUC Evo3 SS w/ DSSR, Power Pulley Kit, carbon kidney grills, Vorsteiner front air dam, carbon side gills, smoked side markers
Appreciate 0