BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

02-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
drburton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Alpine

Choosing Not to Mod

As a frequent visitor of this site, I have found that it is really easy to get the ‘mod bug’ and want to modify the M3 in a number of ways. In fact, I planned a number of modifications and almost pulled the trigger before my M3 even arrived at the dealership. Seemed like a good way to increase performance, and/or personalize the car.

I decided to refrain and do more comprehensive research on a number of potential mods to see if I really wanted to go that direction. After a ridiculous amount of research and deliberation, I have decided to keep the car stock with the exception of some minor cosmetic changes.

Through the process of evaluating alternatives, I discovered that almost every modification has a benefit but also has a corresponding drawback, problem or limitation. Here are a few ‘off the cuff’ examples: The vast majority of exhaust systems come with drone. In my mind this is totally unacceptable for a daily driver car. Lowering springs seem promising, but there are potential warranty issues, wear and tear on the OEM suspension, not to mention a harsher ride and the need to be more careful with curbs etc.. I also found the cost/benefit ratio seems a bit out of line. Nominal improvements in performance or appearance come at a pretty high price tag. If you really think about the opportunity cost with an expense like this, it seems almost irrational.

The objective of this post isn’t to question the decisions made by those who make mods, I certainly believe there is a place and benefit to mods dependent on the owners driving style, intentions etc… Rather I want to acknowledge the job the BMW engineers did in making the M3. I find the car to have an almost perfect balance as a daily driver and performance car. I am choosing not to upset that balance with modifications, because I really enjoy the car the way it is.

So my advice to those who are new owners or have a car on order, take the time to drive the M3 in it’s stock form, you just may find you love her just the way she is
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

I have pondered the idea of modding many times over and have always come back to the same thought: "Why mess with perfection"

Every time I think of modding something, there is always a negative side that goes with it. I may consider modding if any BMW Performance parts from the GTS make it our way.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

I have had this exact thought process, and the car is really good. I have to have wheels though, and probably an exhaust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

I'm almost 100% with you.... just think the car need a couple cosmetic things. First chrome is cheesy so I swapped it all for black, and will do this on every car I own. Subtle drop from Eibach springs, light 50% tint, and that's it cosmetically. SSK was nice, but would probably not bother again. It's fun, but totally unnecessary, I had fun shifting with OEM shifter as well. Next time I do exhaust it'll be just mufflers, cause I like to make some noise, but I doubt I'll do another full exhaust, too much money, and then you need to deal with CEL and inspection.
      02-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GMC Sierra

I'm fairly mod adverse myself. In the past I've gone mod crazy on cars only to make them harder to live with on a daily basis. My M3 is totally stock except for painted reflectors and tint. I do have an Eisenmann Sport exhaust with connecting pipes that I plan to install at some point. If there is too much drone it will come right off and I'll be back to stock.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #6
drey
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan, JZB/BB

I'm with you, buddy. Paid $60K for a German engineered beauty and I'm not messing with it!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Good for you, man. The mod bug, which is a direct by product of M3post (lol), is very contagious. I think your advise to new M3 owners is great. I drove mine for a year and only did cosmetic mods to it. It was only after the year of enjoying BMW's fine engineering that I decided to upgrade to a SSK, an air filter, and now an exhaust. And like you, I research everything that goes on my car.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"

Last edited by MMMorish; 02-11-2010 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: Forgot the air filter lol
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Snap.

The simple reason is that the majority of tuners unlike manufacturers can't commit the same time and financial resources to fully develop their products to the same degree. Their are a some that are extremely professional, MTM, RUF, Aplina and Brabus to name just a few but these are in a minority and through German law they need to follow stricter regulations.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

I used to think like this and I was happy with a standard car with some great extras specced, but then I stumbled onto this forum and saw Vic 55's M3 with HREs and it was downhill from there!!

It's this forum that breeds the madness people
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #10
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Oh..BTW. The RAC wheels are probably one of the only wheels that I would go for. As for exhausts, maybe a DINAN or Eisenmann...Akra is too expensive for me.

If I had to do brakes, I would probably do with Brembo or AP

As for filters, the AA air filter is just like stock but a little better built.

However, these mods will cost thousands and the performance gains are questionable at best. I assume the Brembos would be good if you track your M3 more than a few times a year.

....keep the money in your bank account or spend it on a BMW performance driving school...I think you will get more pleasure out of these two options.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #11
joseph328
Private First Class
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: 992 Turbo S , E92 M3, Audi SQ8

For me it's simple : 3 rules .

1. Lower your ride
2. Get some wheels
3. Black it out

Nothing else needed . That count's for E36 atleast..

I would add 1 point to E92 :

4. Get Amuse Ericsson bumpers..

they are trully amazing and make the car look so much more agressive and better looking .

Muffler is not a must , but Meisterschaft or Akrapovic . my friend got Akra on his E93 M3 AW , when he runs down the street and shifts 4 to 3 to 2 .. it's like heaven

Last edited by joseph328; 02-11-2010 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 12:43 PM   #12
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
What is the best mod you can do?????

Modify your own driving skills with some tutoring by a professional, it doesn't void the warranty but does make the car with you in it a lot quicker per lap.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #13
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
I have pondered the idea of modding many times over and have always come back to the same thought: "Why mess with perfection"

Every time I think of modding something, there is always a negative side that goes with it. I may consider modding if any BMW Performance parts from the GTS make it our way.

-SZ
Me Too
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 01:05 PM   #14
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

I've modified my M3 with a full exhaust system, pulley, air filter, intake scoops, custom tune, and some other small cosmetic goodies.

Yet I can't blame someone who wants to keep his/her M3 all stock, or mostly stock.

And there's something special about keeping the factory warranty.......Not to mention the peace of mind.

I'm in my mid-20's now, and maturity is definitely catching up with me.

I guess I just don't appreciate modifying as much as I used to.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #15
BigHat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 E93

I think the OP makes good points.

Aside from tinting, clear bra and painted reflector replacements I'll probably leave it alone. I almost got the 18" wheels so I could get a custom set of 19"s for the summer. In the end I just ordered the OEM 19s.

While I know one might be able to prevail in an agrument with the dealer as to the likelihood that a mod is the culprit in a warranty claim, I do see dealers casuing customers problems in this regard and would rather not be bothered. Might be an age thing though as the "kid racer" version of the M3 appears to be something I've out grown since having my E46 M3.

Last edited by BigHat; 02-11-2010 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #16
Bart@AUTOcouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: F95X5M | E46M3 | E92M3 | E60M5

To each their own. "Modding" to me is making your ride a little more individual. If you use the right products, it can be achieved. Suspension, exhaust, wheels, cosmetic mods are mostly what people on here do to achieve that look. Of course there is some of those that do full engine work, e: superchargers, stroker kits, etc.. but the majority is in it for the appearance. The M3 is so awesome to begin with, it doesn't take much.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 02:02 PM   #17
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
I've modified my M3 with a full exhaust system, pulley, air filter, intake scoops, custum tune, and some other small cosmetic goodies.

Yet I can't blame someone who wants to keep his/her M3 all stock, or mostly stock.

And there's something special about keeping the factory warranty.......Not to mention the peace of mind.

I guess I just don't appreciate modifying as much as I used to.
This coming from the guy who probably has the loudest exhaust system on this site! I think you've modded your M quite a bit. What's left for your car, FI?

Honestly, Nawazz, sometimes you kill me
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 02:14 PM   #18
badfish
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
LMAO! Revisit this quote every 10 years. You'll be amazed at how much more mature you are...

To the OP, I thought I wasn't going to do anything to my car either. The exhaust was one of the first areas I touched. A 55 pound muffler that had a disappointing sound was a win/win situation for me as I shaved off 30+ pounds and I like the way it sounds more. I picked mods I could reverse so that I could learn from my mistakes. In the end, what you discover is that BMW does some great engineering but it's a balance for them so there is room for improvement. Not everything is give and take, it just depends on what you want.
      02-11-2010, 02:32 PM   #19
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

I have "Toyed with the ideas" of Modding , I am settling for BMC filter and a re-map. Acrapovic is way too expensive for the BHP gained.
I am saving my money for the new M5 in 2013.
In the mean time enjoying the M3.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 03:15 PM   #20
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
This coming from the guy who probably has the loudest exhaust system on this site! I think you've modded your M quite a bit. What's left for your car, FI?

Honestly, Nawazz, sometimes you kill me

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
LMAO! Revisit this quote every 10 years. You'll be amazed at how much more mature you are...
True.

It's a weird feeling as you start to reflect back at how you used to be.

Gosh, I think I'm starting to sound like my dad now.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #21
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

You will. Next you'll start saying things like "back when I had my M3..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 03:26 PM   #22
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

This in many ways is true. But if you want a more custom car to best fit you, why not..
Smaller modification make more sense then something like a supercharger for example. But never the less when you get bored of your car, you're going to be feel much more "fresh" after a new mod.

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0