BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-04-2010, 05:32 AM   #1
CWCary
Rep
Drives: N/A

ZCP & M Drive

I would like to have all of the M drive options without the navigation package, as I have no need for it and dislike the extra "hump" in the dash required by the technology package.

Anyone know if the competition package would provide this, even though no mention is made, other than that EDC is included, and of course it was always available as a "stand alone" option? I sure would be happy if I could get all the M drive functions without the navigation component and associated "hump"

Thanks

CwC
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 05:46 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWCary View Post
I would like to have all of the M drive options without the navigation package, as I have no need for it and dislike the extra "hump" in the dash required by the technology package.

Anyone know if the competition package would provide this, even though no mention is made, other than that EDC is included, and of course it was always available as a "stand alone" option? I sure would be happy if I could get all the M drive functions without the navigation component and associated "hump"

Thanks

CwC
The only way for that to happen is for BMW to add the M Drive settings to the Professional HU.

I don't think that that is going to happen anytime soon, not because of any technical difficulties or limitations of the HU, but the M Drive seems to me like a marketing hook up for the iDrive purchase.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 05:57 AM   #3
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

If that happened it would take a lot of the value away from the ZCP package

I doubt this will happen as most people with the older model probably also would be willing to pay for the upgraded MModem but BMW would rather the old owners upgrade to a new car rather than upgrade the hardware
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 06:30 AM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWCary View Post
Anyone know if the competition package would provide this, even though no mention is made, other than that EDC is included, and of course it was always available as a "stand alone" option?
No, the competition package does not include any MDrive functionality. It just includes the lowered suspension, 359M wheels, and bundles in EDC.

The M3 GTS supposedly has an MDM mode (or MDM-like mode) for DSC that operates without MDrive/IDrive. But as far as I know, there are no details available yet. In fact, I don't know if this is even confirmed 100% for sure.

BMW could add both MDM DSC mode and Sport+ Power mode options to the non MDrive cars with some relatively simple changes (just change the respective console buttons to tri-state buttons and adjust the electronics to allow them to trigger the missing modes). Adding the third MDrive-only function - which is the Sport Servotronic steering setting - would involve adding a new button to the console and thus changing the molds. Alternatively, they could add a BC mode I suppose, sort of like they do for non-ZTP cars with M-DCT to allow the shift lights to be turned on and off.

None of this is likely to ever happen however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda///Monic View Post
If that happened it would take a lot of the value away from the ZCP package
I think you meant "ZTP package", right Panda?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 07:20 AM   #5
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

M-Drive will remain only with iDrive equipped cars, even with ZCP, need ZTP.
I think the steering is the issue and is not a simple on/off setting requiring some more processing power.
      02-05-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
AMOCHOSTO
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: IB BB E90 M3

I felt like you do when I ordered the car, I only wanted MDM, but had to order M-drive to get it.

Now I am quite pleased I did, I like a lot of the M-drive functionality.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

Does anyone know if we'll be able to buy just the wheels? I already did H&Rs so ride height isn't a factor...but I'd love to get a set of appropriately offset GTS wheels w/ TPMS and powder coat them matte black.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 06:11 PM   #8
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiem3 View Post
Does anyone know if we'll be able to buy just the wheels? I already did H&Rs so ride height isn't a factor...but I'd love to get a set of appropriately offset GTS wheels w/ TPMS and powder coat them matte black.
Eventually you will. Probably wont be able to order until late summer/fall.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #9
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

What BMW should offer is iDrive separate from Navigation IMO, but it's all about forcing buyers to pay as much as possible for the car. My main reason to get the tech package was iDrive and EDC, but I was immediately disappointed with the latter, as I can't hardly feel any difference. Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 05:32 AM   #10
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
What BMW should offer is iDrive separate from Navigation IMO...
The new F10 5 series offers this. You get a center stack LCD and iDrive standard. Nav is extra, and includes a larger center screen. I think BMW will begin taking this approach with all new models. Actually I wish they'd do something like Ford's "MyFord" system as that totally rocks.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #11
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
The new F10 5 series offers this. You get a center stack LCD and iDrive standard. Nav is extra, and includes a larger center screen. I think BMW will begin taking this approach with all new models. Actually I wish they'd do something like Ford's "MyFord" system as that totally rocks.
There have been several previous model BMW that did not have navi- but iDrive. The E60 started this (X5/X6).

The issue with the E90 was the dash and the fact so many did not want iDrive early on. They designed cars with and without iDrive- to cover the cost of the dash they needed to make Navi- the standard for iDrive.

Moving forward all future newly designed cars will have iDrive (except maybe the 1) as standard and navi as optional.