BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-26-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
DJ9
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3_SG

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Do I have a story for you guys

Haven't posted in a while and it's unfortunate that it's about the below mentioned events.

Back in March (yes, late March of 2009), my gf, now ex-gf, took my car to run a few errands for us. Unfortunately, she curbed my front rim. Unknown to me, she was hysterical about this, and took it upon herself to order a brand new rim from my BMW Service Advisor asking him not to tell me($900 for a new one). I found out about all this and called BMW to switch to my CC number as opposed to hers. My SA informed me that he had a good local shop that does repairs such as this. I canceled the order and contacted the shop.

This San Francisco based, rim repair shop, performed the work and I picked my car up on the same day. Two days later, a white coloration/residue started to appear all over the rim and the started to bubble. I contacted the shop and brought my car in for their inspection.

The shop communicated that the paint was contaminated and that they had "f'd up." They informed me they would replace my rim if they could not repair.

This is where the fun begins:

*April- They ask me to take bring car in for their attempt at a repair and repaint. I drop my car off for a day and allow them to work on it. I then get a call back the next day, saying the rim is in worse condition now, and looks horrible. The shop iss now going to look for a used "take" off rim for replacement. I fine with this compromise, and did not demand a brand new rim, just an undamaged OEM rim.

*April/May- I assisted and tried to help the shop look for a used rim, but they were not trying the slightest bit to locate one. I posted on here, called vendors, etc. Any leads I found I would send to the shop.

*May/June/July- Nothing from the vendor, they went MIA, and when I did speak to them, they informed me they were still looking.

*Aug/Sept/October- Even more MIA now.

*Nov- I call and lodge a complaint with the BBB and get traction.

*Dec- They finally tell me they found a rim in the Midwest and asked me to drop my car off. My rim will need to be shipped to the Midwest for the used rim they located to be shipped back. Again I accommodate and drop my car off. They call me Wednesday, my "SAME" original rim was returned to the shop and they don't know why. They call me Thursday, turns out shop in the Midwest gave the rim away and did not tell them, so they sent back my original rim. All was as waste- not to mention I work market hours and had to cab for three days.

*Dec 28th- Vendor states they would meet me at BMW and buy a new rim for me. One hour before we go, they call me back and state they found a rim on EBay and it's OEM. I have no choice but to entertain them and this futile attempt.

*Jan 15, 2010- The ebay Rim comes in. I ask them to test it, check that's legit, OEM etc. I pick it up the rim (wanetd to install it myself) last Friday(Jan 22nd) and go to my tire guys on Sunday the 24th. TURNS out the rim inner windows are silver, NOT Gray- the color was not noticeable in the box to me, but when we mounted it, it was a complete joke.

*Jan 25th- I go to the shop and drop the rim off and demand to speak with the owners who I have been dealing with. Punk kid at the shop refuses to and starts to talk shit- I do back. Temper rising and I check myself and calmly call SFPD to come and act as an intermediary, as it was becoming a confrontation at a merchant site and did not want to escalate it to that level. The kid now calls the owner from the land line and states that I am there and have called the police. This obviously causes the owner to call me and express his regret and that he will return to SF that afternoon and call me to rectify the situation. As I am in the office of the vendor, and on the phone with the owner, the kid then walks out of the office and I see him walking around my car which is parked in the garage of the merchant(THIS IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE). The owner ensures all will be taken care of by Tueday Jan 26th. So I call off SFPD and return to my office garage.

*Jan 25th- I go straight home and park my car in the garage at my place. What do I notice? 2 large key scratch marks across my hood. My car was vandalized. Key marks were along the front and side of the hood, the same side the kid was walking around my car while I was on the phone with his boss. Time stamp: My car was at the tire shop at 4:00 on Sunday night. They do a checklist and make you inspect/sign off on your car at drop off and pick up for any current or new damage. I drove straight home to my garage and did not leave until the following morning to work. I park in a two car garage, nothing missing, nothing stolen. At work, I've parked in one spot for the past 5 years, and there is video surveillance facing my car and a security guard at a booth to the left of it. The only other location my car was at on Monday, was the Rim Shop- the shop that I have had issues with since March of 09, called the BBB on, arrived at on Monday and had an altercation with a staff, the shop I called the police on, the shop where I spoke to the owner while a disgruntled employee walked around on the same side as the damage to my car. Hmmm, can you say ironic!!!

*Jan 26th- The shop owners call me and now wants to repaint the rim from ebay and match the OEM paint. They have until tomorrow at 4. If they cant match the paint, the owner is now reneging on their promise and wants to refund me the cost of the repair. So were talking 150 bucks or so for a 900 dollar rim...ya, no.

- End result- I've called insurance and filed a claim. I've filed a police report and will obtain video surveillance from vendor and my work site. If this paint rim thing doesn't match tomorrow, I will of course deny the refund and force a smalls claim court case.

Can I tell you how much of a pain in the ass this has been and how much restraint I've shown!

FYI- Thank the lord for the clear film full wrap…….the scratches did not touch the paint from my inspection, only damaged the film- in any event I still need to redo the damage by replacing the film on the hood.

Enjoy the pics.

2008 E92M3-Space Gray
Eisenmann Sport Exhaust_MT/Loaded

Last edited by DJ9; 01-26-2010 at 11:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
DJ9
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Lucky I had a full hood wrap, or the side scratch would have been horrible.
Attached Images

2008 E92M3-Space Gray

Last edited by DJ9; 01-26-2010 at 09:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Wow, that's totally uncalled for. Did that punk kid do it with the presence of SFPD? From what you have said so far, the rim they "bought" does not appear to be an OEM rim to me......
      01-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
I'm impressed with your restraint.

Didn't even mention the name of the shop.

Does the kid still work there? You likes maybe I ask Vito and Frankie have a talk with him?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
DJ9
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Wow, that's totally uncalled for. Did that punk kid do it with the presence of SFPD? From what you have said so far, the rim they "bought" does not appear to be an OEM rim to me......
It's one of those situtations you cant say you saw nor is there a witness, but if you logically think about it there are only so many options:

*Where did you park in the past 24 hours? Tire Shop, my garage, the office, and the rim shop.

*Which location did you last see your car ok? Tire shop and my garage on Monday morning.

*Where did you park subsequent to your garage on Monday? Office and the Rim shop

*Have you had any altercations at either place? Work no, rim shop-hell yes

*Did you see anything abnormal or anyone around your car? Yes, at the rim shop, kid walking around my car while i spoke to his boss on the phone. My car was in a single entry garage at the vendor. Narrow garage, in which you have to walk around my car to exit. I could see from the window up of my car to the ceiling- this was through the office window leading separating the office from the garage at the vendor site; hence I could see the kid walking around my car but not his from arms down..ie. the hood level of my car. The side of my car that is damaged, the only side, and the actual side the kid was walking around.

My office, no problem there and have already contacted building security and they are pulling the film.

These are not scracthes, these are deliberate gashes in opposite directions- someone walking by repeatedly.

Logic points in one direction, but I know this will be an uphill battle to prove.

This still doesn't even address the RIM issue!

2008 E92M3-Space Gray

Last edited by DJ9; 01-26-2010 at 11:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
DJ9
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
I'm impressed with your restraint.

Didn't even mention the name of the shop.

Does the kid still work there? You likes maybe I ask Vito and Frankie have a talk with him?
Put it this way, i have a lot to lose, where the kid does not. I def have a temper when it comes to things like this, but resorting to what I "want" to do, would get me no where and only make me look foolish in the end.

With these guys, it's about building a case and letting their incompetence force them to their demise.

I also am in contact now with my local Benz and BMW dealer, pushing them to cut off business or at least get involved, especially BMW for referring them- it's a smalll community here.

Two of my good friends, one is an attorney, other is SFPD. Both are involved as well....just trying to remain calmn. BUT IT IS HARD!

2008 E92M3-Space Gray

Last edited by DJ9; 01-27-2010 at 01:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 07:17 PM   #7
major_kusanagi
SWARM & COIN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 AW/FR/CF E92 M3

Really sorry to hear the horror story. I too think you are unbelievably patient. wife kept telling me to stop cursing while I was reading your post.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #8
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Painful to read your story.

Man I wish you'd never given that repair shop a chance in the beginning.

Time never goes back, though we can all learn from your negative experience.

Hope everything sorts out for you man.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 07:40 PM   #9
DJ9
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
Painful to read your story.

Man I wish you'd never given that repair shop a chance in the beginning.

Time never goes back, though we can all learn from your negative experience.

Hope everything sorts out for you man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by major_kusanagi View Post
Really sorry to hear the horror story. I too think you are unbelievably patient. wife kept telling me to stop cursing while I was reading your post.

Thank you both- In hindsight I would have paid for a new rim; but it's been too long to throw in the towel now.

It's one of those things that other than breaking out a can of whoop ass on the entire shop, I'm not sure what else I can do here.

After I get my ducks in a row with SFPD, Insurance, and the claims court, I'll focus my full attention to the dealerships, local media and social media networks- anything else to non-violently/ "ruin myself" measures that will bring these shady ass pple down.

I wonder what the me 5 years ago would have done, hah!

2008 E92M3-Space Gray

Last edited by DJ9; 01-26-2010 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 07:41 PM   #10
mocsman
Second Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3

At what point did you ditch the girlfriend? Sorry to poke a little fun into your situation, i figured a little humor might take ur mind of that PUNK ASS KID!!! Goodluk man, hope you stick it to them!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #11
DJ9
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocsman View Post
At what point did you ditch the girlfriend? Sorry to poke a little fun into your situation, i figured a little humor might take ur mind of that PUNK ASS KID!!! Goodluk man, hope you stick it to them!
Lol! I moved the ex-gf out in April. The only drama and headache I've had since then have been these rim guys.

If only the rim shop was as easy as some of these..... KIDDING, come on, I'm a gent.

2008 E92M3-Space Gray
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #12
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Damn that sounds like one hell of a situation!

Listen, you could have charged your gf's CC if you still have it

Hopefully things will work out

Last edited by M3 vert; 01-27-2010 at 12:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #13
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Yes, the hardest thing is staying calm under the various forms of indirect and direct (keying) provocation. I sympathize; you're totally in the right here but, as you said, you've got more to lose.

Given the two guys you have involved (who will probably more effective than Frankie and Vito--albeit in a less viceraly enjoyable manner--some thanks to Joe for the offer) and your plan to direct business away you are making the best smart moves you can to see that justice prevails.

But that doesn't make it easy! Staying cool in a situation like this us a bitch--I'm a level-headed guy but some things--like this one--do set me off. It's so hard not to hurt your own best interests.

Hang in there and the chickens will come home for these guys. Wish I could say more but all I can say is that it's tough and I know where you're coming from.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #14
Jatt510
Rep
Drives: 05 Clk 500

when my mom clipped the front bumper of our benz against a bush (or something like that) she let some random dude in a home depot parking lot attempt to fix the paint for 50 bucks so she wouldn't have to tell my father and myself. Hope the situation ends well for you and I too am impressed with your restraint. haha that kid is lucky
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 08:09 PM   #15
DJ9
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatt510 View Post
when my mom clipped the front bumper of our benz against a bush (or something like that) she let some random dude in a home depot parking lot attempt to fix the paint for 50 bucks so she wouldn't have to tell my father and myself. Hope the situation ends well for you and I too am impressed with your restraint. haha that kid is lucky
Thanks man.

It's amazing to me that businesses like this can still exist today.

2008 E92M3-Space Gray

Last edited by DJ9; 01-26-2010 at 08:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 08:17 PM   #16
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

I was in similar situation at a local tire shop installing RFT tires on my coupe:
This is how it began and unfolded:
..... I heard Road Force Balance is a good idea to do when installing new RFT tires but I wanted to save money and refused to do install at dealer, so I call general number for Road Force Balance equipment and get a referral from them to a tire shop that uses their equipment and therefore does "road force"... next, I arrive at the tire shop (with two brand new tires in my trunk) and ask them if they do "road force balance" and if they would install two RFT tires, and they said yes and yes... so I give them the car and they start working on it. I'm standing by, watching them struggle with the rim and the RFT tire just doest want to come off...and after the tire was off, even more struggle to install the new tire, all in all 3 guys were all over it, but they got it all installed anyways. Then came the moment of truth,- the roadforce balance. As they were balancing the wheels of my car I took a closer look at the equipment they used and it didn't look like it was roadforce. I asked the worker,- Is this a roadforce? and he said,- yes, it is. I tell him,- are you sure? because it doesn't look like a roadforce... and he replied,- oh yes yes it is roadforce.
So, after the wheels are balanced and installed and I do a close up inspection, I noticed a deep scratch all around one rim, and the instant I saw the scratch I knew it came from them removing/installing the tire...
I bring the worker of shop to car and show him the damaged rim, and he says they didn't do it, the rim was like that before... LOL... he was saying that right to my face and he truly believed that I would believe that and that I would eat it. After going back and forth for a few minutes, I realize this is useless, but I refuse to leave the shop till this issue resolved. I demand to see the owner of shop, and they say the owner is out of town... so I give up and this is what I do next:
- I go back into my car, sit there for a while, pretending I'm on phone... and all this time I'm in car, these guys are watching me... Next, I reach out and take my digital camera out of glove compartment and get out of car. I go over to the workers of shop and tell them this:
- I was on phone with my aunt, she is a Federal Prosecuter, she asked me to take pictures of this shop all around and to take pictures of shop's DMV License, she is getting this shop investigated by Feds (I totally made it all up just to scare them)... next, I'm walking around snapping photos of their License, equipment etc,. Few minutes go by...and they tell me the shop's owner is on the phone wants to speak to me. I get on phone and the owner assures me he'll get my rim fixed. I tell him he can get it fixed, but I don't want the "fixed rim", I want a New Rim and he can keep the old damaged one and I don't care if he fixes and sells it or not... I just want the new rim! Next I tell him my car's vin# and my phone # and instruct him to call me when he gets the rim from BMW dealer...
I get a call next day, brand new OEM rim from BMW dealer is at the shop. I drive over, they take the new rim out the box and let me inspect it... the brand new rim is a beauty! Next, they struggle some more,-removing new tire from old rim, installing on new rim, balancing.... and ofcourse, balance is NOT a Roadforce... I tell them about that again, and even lecture them... and they just obediently listen to me. Even the shop's owner was there too.... and guess what? the shop owner is the same worker guy that was working on my car the day before... then he was just pretending he was a worker, and when he was on phone with me, he was just in another room! That sneaky bastard! LOL... But I was glad I got the brand new rim!

... and when all this fraud and "joe-shmo-shop" going to end? trying to fix the car is like walking on a mine field... it is hit or miss. So I just play "Russian Roulette"... this time I win!

Last edited by dimabimmer; 01-26-2010 at 08:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #17
DJ9
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
What the hell is wrong with these people? The owner was the same guy that worked on your car, HAH!

Sounds like it worked out for you. Unfortunately, this shop is a bit on the JV end as far as intelligence and ethics- amazing BMW referred them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimabimmer View Post
I was in similar situation at a local tire shop installing RFT tires on my coupe:
This is how it began and unfolded:
.....I tell them about that again, and even lecture them... and they just obediently listen to me. Even the shop's owner was there too.... and guess what? the shop owner is the same worker guy that was working on my car the day before... then he was just pretending he was a worker, and when he was on phone with me, he was just in another room! That sneaky bastard! LOL... But I was glad I got the brand new rim!

2008 E92M3-Space Gray
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #18
Cameraeye
Ghetto Blasta
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cement Truck

these kinds of events would send me into a rage
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 08:52 PM   #19
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
Wow. God bless you. And your patience. I wouldve told them to Fuck off your not fixing anything on my car. And wouldve gone back to confront the punk at the shop.
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 09:18 PM   #20
rsmamg
Flying First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

wow that is nuts man. good luck with everything.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 09:18 PM   #21
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

This is what I would do ... after I decided not to end up in jail over this.

I would take the money you would waste on court fees, your time, etc. and just buy a new set of wheels like the RAC gems or something. BUT I would continue to cut off these guys supply of business as much as you can with your dealer network. Oh and I would definitely get your lawyer and police buddies to put pressure on them. Sending a letter stating that you will sue should be a good start but again I wouldn't waste the time to actually do it. Finally get your police connections to go ask that punk ass kid some questions.

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 09:44 PM   #22
///V\3Dude
I Drive Slow To Save Gas :D
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, MY11 STi

Im a kid, want me to fly out there? SHow that punk kid up>Like you said... "not much to lose" hehehe sorry to here about that. If my car got keyed especially after all that BS. I'd flipped to:-(