BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
kiloil
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

PUMA case resolved

Ever since day one I had a problem with the clutch and a knocking noise when the clutch was released with the car in neutral. The RPM's would drop 250 or 300 RPM with the clutch released, so we would just keep the clutch in all of the time. I also had a real problem with shifting into 2nd gear, it was almost labor intensive. Had the car towed in because of a check engine light and the found the throw out bearing to be faulty. They replaced that but the noise was still there. So they launched a PUMA case and got it resolved. They replaced the slave cylinder, flywheel, clutch, clutch spring and sleeve. I can't tell you how much smoother this clutch is. Second gear is no longer a problem and ZERO clutch chatter. To everyone that has a knocking noise, get it checked out, because it's not normal.
      01-21-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloil View Post
Second gear is no longer a problem and ZERO clutch chatter.
Zero? 'Knocking' is not normal, but every M3 makes some noise with the clutch pedal out. Not intrusive at all, but you can hear it with the radio off, so I wouldn't call it 'zero'. With many noises, the problem is knowing what's normal or not over the internet. I drove 3 different M3s and all had a bit of clutch noise, and mine is no exception. Would I like it whisper quiet? Sure, but the kind of clutch it has doesn't make that possible. I don't have any shifting issues, or loud noises, so I stratch it as the nature of the beast . Glad you're happy now.
Appreciate 0