BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

01-09-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Made the mistake of test driving an M3, now I want one!

I test drove a new 2010 M3 with a 6MT. It is truly an awesome car! I started the test drive shifting at low RPM to let the engine warm up. But salesguy told me, "you know this is a german car right?" Implying me to drive faster. Apparently he didnt care for the break in period. But good for me since I truly got to experience what the car can do. I went WOT and shifting 6k+ rpm up the the 3rd gear. I dont know if I got close to redline since I was in a business district hauling ass, didnt want to take my eyes off the road. Hit the freeway before you know it I was doing 105mph. Took couple breaths and slowed down since my heart was pumping with full of enjoyment. This car is awesome!! V8 sounded kind of quiet to me. It definitely needs alttle louder exhaust.

I did not have a problem one bit driving the 6MT. I've seen posts on here people having trouble driving the car smooth low RPMS. I thought the 6MT was perfect, I had no problem at all with it. Maybe its just the internet and people complaining about anything? I dont know..

I orignally wanted to get a 2010 STI since its an all around more practical car. I can take it snow boarding, put a stroller back there, easy to mod, etc.

Only problem is now I dont want to spend $60k plus for it. hehe. I can afford it but I'm kind of cheap, but my wife says lets get it! Maybe It will be my 30th bday present to myself this year!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 12:00 AM   #2
M3 Pilot
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17' F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
I test drove a new 2010 M3 with a 6MT. It is truly an awesome car! I started the test drive shifting at low RPM to let the engine warm up. But salesguy told me, "you know this is a german car right?" Implying me to drive faster. Apparently he didnt care for the break in period. But good for me since I truly got to experience what the car can do. I went WOT and shifting 6k+ rpm up the the 3rd gear. I dont know if I got close to redline since I was in a business district hauling ass, didnt want to take my eyes off the road. Hit the freeway before you know it I was doing 105mph. Took couple breaths and slowed down since my heart was pumping with full of enjoyment. This car is awesome!! V8 sounded kind of quiet to me. It definitely needs alttle louder exhaust.

I did not have a problem one bit driving the 6MT. I've seen posts on here people having trouble driving the car smooth low RPMS. I thought the 6MT was perfect, I had no problem at all with it. Maybe its just the internet and people complaining about anything? I dont know..

I orignally wanted to get a 2010 STI since its an all around more practical car. I can take it snow boarding, put a stroller back there, easy to mod, etc.

Only problem is now I dont want to spend $60k plus for it. hehe. I can afford it but I'm kind of cheap, but my wife says lets get it! Maybe It will be my 30th bday present to myself this year!
Congrats on your test drive. I guess some of the 6MT issues are with cars with higher mileage than test drive models. I'll say take these things with a pinch of salt. You have people who have 6MTs plus decent mileage and their gearbox is still silky smooth.

2010 STi is a good choice. With some aesthetic mods here and there, it looks pretty slick.

I guess at the end of the day it depends if you are more of a luxury type of person or you fancy something that is value for money but still gives you a decent amount of comfort and performance.

I'll say the STi won't hurt the wallet too much in every aspect. But don't get me wrong. The M3 is capable of performing the type of activities you wish to partake but at a higher price.

Either way you can't go wrong with both cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 12:06 AM   #3
///V\3Dude
I Drive Slow To Save Gas :D
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, MY11 STi

Common man don't be cheap! If you can afford it! Do it:-) You know you want one:-)

It's not the fact it's a pain to drive in low rpms. It's the 1st to 2nd gear shifts that are a PITA to get in without grind the hell out of it:-)
      01-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
jaglacs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M1

Quote:

I had the same reaction when i test drove an E46 M3 back in '04...it was the exact same reaction, the end result.....I bought it good luck!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Try looking at a pre-owned model. You can get the same car and save thousands of $$$
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
10M3MAN
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Nissan Altima SER

go for it I know I am...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

OP
"Only problem is now I dont want to spend $60k plus for it. hehe. I can afford it but I'm kind of cheap"

M3 is a great value! $60k is a lot of money, but M3 V8 drives double that! Great Value! Get it.
      01-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
Pete The Greek
the greek guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 AW/FR

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [0.00]
DO IT, it's a great car, and everyone here loves theirs! I know I do
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

The test drive is why I have an M3 being delivered on the 18th. I loved my GTI but after driving the M it was far less satisfying than before.

As for the STI, you couldn't pay me to drive thing. It might be a better performer than older STIs but good lord that thing is ugly. I don't see how the STI is more practical either unless you need the floor to ceiling space a HB gives you. You can take a M into the mountains with no problems. I see Ms around the slopes and on the Autobahn all the time, even in deep snow. Like Mars Blackmon said, "It's gotta be the shoes!"
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #10
Leozap
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3

[QUOTE=quality_sound;6496619

As for the STI, you couldn't pay me to drive thing. It might be a better performer than older STIs but good lord that thing is ugly. I don't see how the STI is more practical either unless you need the floor to ceiling space a HB gives you. "[/QUOTE]

Not trying to put this car down but for the money, the STI is kinda okay... But it's funny how you said it because I have the same feeling about the STI too lol. My friend is crazy about the STI and I even told him exactly what you you just said and he got so mad at me . I don't even care though.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #11
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

I felt the same way, I told myself there was no way the new m was better then my e46, I met a kid who let me drive it and fell in love, the next week I was at the dealer test driving one, I was going to order it brand new but I saved 18g and bought a low milage one, do it and you won't regret it, the experience gets better day by day,
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #12
davedave
Captain
Rep
Drives: Godzilla

i got myself a M3 of my 30th bday. go for it
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #13
riyatch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Happened to me too. Right when I started up the car I was sold. Been waiting for the sedan M3 since my first child was born and find it is the closest car to perfection for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #14
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

All I have to say is: If you want it bad enough, GET IT!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #15
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:

get it i waited until i was 47.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #16
GnokGnik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

You will always regret not getting one. If you are a car guy, get the M3. Although if you don't mind forced induction...the new FI M3 might be a monster, it is some time away.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 05:34 PM   #17
Leozap
Captain
United_States
Rep

Okay, just get it and blow all of your savings away . Don't wait until you are 47.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #18
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leozap View Post
Okay, just get it and blow all of your savings away . Don't wait until you are 47.
Um if thats all your savings on the car, don't follow this advice lol

Get it the wife says get it, shes trying to tell you something. Maybe its her way of saying she wouldn't be caught dead in the STi.
Besides we all know our women are always right as much as we hate to admit it

No need to wait for the next FI M3. Some of us already have FI versions...just on V8's
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 07:12 PM   #19
Leozap
Captain
United_States
Rep

Don't get me wrong. I am just giving my support.

Old but funny.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #20
RichB
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 e90

Quote:

This is exactly the reason I did not drive the M3 until I knew I was in the market. I wanted to wait for my 335i lease to end because I knew I would have jumped sooner. I did the change to the E90 M3 and absolutely love it. It is a great call.

As for the 6MT.....I had to get used to the take-off. It has a different clutch feel than my 335i. It took 2 stoplights to figure it out. It has a very smooth takeoff.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2010, 10:55 PM   #21
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

get it

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 02:04 AM   #22
windshear
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe, 6MT

Enjoying the thread. I have a 2008 335i coupe that I really like but, I think I am ready to move on. I went from a Porsche 928GT to my 335i. My problem is that I treat my 335i like a garage queen and it is just a 3 series. I have a truck that I drive when the wx is bad and only drive to work once a week so I put very few miles on my vehicles. I am considering a 2005-2007 911 or an '08/'09 M3. I like the fact the M3 has room for 4 and a trunk. It is obvious that you all like your M3s but, what dont you like? Torque, gas mileage, transmission? I want to find a car that I like enough to keep for 8 years or more. Manual trans is a must for me. If I buy used, any concerns about the break in or just have a good ppi? Thanks for any insight.
Appreciate 0