BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

View Poll Results: What changes have you made to your BMW?
None, 100% stock 66 33.00%
Cosmetic mods: external, body, lights, wheels, 41 20.50%
Performance: pulley, supercharger, intake, etc 9 4.50%
Both performance and cosmetic mods 84 42.00%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

01-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS / iX 50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Who keeps their BMW's stock, moddified, cosmetic, or both

I'm a new member here on the forums and have just purchased a E92 M3 last month.

Several years ago, I was addicted to the modding of performance parts on my last car (G35 Coupe)

My previous modding of my G35 caused me to:

1. Buy a turbo kit
2. Blow my motor,
3. Build my motor with forged internals,
4. Go twin turbo,
5. and blow my transmission.
6. Replace my transmission.
7. 15 psi = 493 RWHP, 495 TQ

FAIL & FAIL AGAIN..

Eventually, I realized how much time and money I had wasted.
After driving the M3 for a month, I've found that I had no desire to change anything about the car. Not even any cosmetic changes.

I'm just curious on what major mods have you done, and why you decided to get them.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post
I'm a new member here on the forums and have just purchased a E92 M3 last month.

Several years ago, I was addicted to the modding of performance parts on my last car (G35 Coupe)

My previous modding of my G35 caused me to:

1. Buy a turbo kit
2. Blow my motor,
3. Build my motor with forged internals,
4. Go twin turbo,
5. and blow my transmission.
6. Replace my transmission.
7. 15 psi = 493 RWHP, 495 TQ

FAIL & FAIL AGAIN..

Eventually, I realized how much time and money I had wasted.
After driving the M3 for a month, I've found that I had no desire to change anything about the car. Not even any cosmetic changes.

I'm just curious on what major mods have you done, and why you decided to get them.
Man, I was in the same boat with my 2005 G35 Coupe and came to the same realization. Currently, my M3 is stock (except for a filter and a few interior bits) and I have had problems with changing anything on it because it is soooo good out of the box. I would hate to throw off my ///M's balance and ruin such a great car.

Once you take you ///M out on a few spirited drives, you will begin to see how good it really is. Currently, there is nothing I would change for the sake of performance. However, a simple intake and exhaust won't hurt and will serve to accentuate the engines roar.

-SZ

Last edited by SUB-ZERO; 01-05-2010 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
+1
changing anything major performance wise makes me feel like I'm disrespecting the ///M's engineering
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
edcvin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5 | 2011 M3 | 2020 X3M

Coming from a modded G35 as well. I am extremely happy with the M and will do a few mods but nothing crazy. I don't want to mess around with perfection. Got any pics of your G ?

-Vin
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

I changed just about everything, I wanted an M3 because its a great chassis to start out with and well, certainly not as much of an "attention getter" as are your 911s turbo´s, GT3s, R8s, etc.... but I wanted performance similar to those. So, I chose the M3 and moded it until I got what I want (lighter than stock by about 200lbs, NA engine with over 500bhp and, improved suspension/braking, etc...). And what I wanted is incredible performance by all means, a very nice looking car, but not crazy expensive to the untrained eye.
      01-05-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
+1
changing anything major performance wise makes me feel like I'm disrespecting the ///M's engineering
However, if any M3 GTS parts make it our way, I would love to add the M3 GTS Wheels, Brake Kit and lip spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
I'm a sucker for M-bmbh products
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #8
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
+1
Well put. It takes years and hundreds of miles of testing to fine tune an M and with every tuning part added, be it engine or suspension may well improve some part of the car but will compromise another.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #9
GnokGnik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

If you wanted to mod a car the 335i makes more sense. It is more of a tuner car and it has areas which can be improved easily such as the LSD, etc. Plus it is much cheaper to do so than on a M3. Plus the turbos...a must have for any tuner except for "All Motor" people.

The M3 is made to perform out of the box...save for a brake kit and some race rubber and you are good. Other than rims, leave the cosmetics alone...you will only make it worse (I see so many ridiculously-modded, ugly E9x M3's. It comes beautiful out the box).

Don't disrespect the ///M til at least a couple years of ownership imo.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #10
Pete The Greek
the greek guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 AW/FR

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [0.00]
My M is bone stock right now but I plan on doing some mods in the future, nothing big though, maybe some wheels and an exhaust. I absolutely love the car the way it is now.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 05:02 PM   #11
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Quote:
+1
+2

and they are highly paid too, why pay twice to f*ck it up
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #12
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

Track wheels/tires, brake pads, and other track oriented stuff. Other than that, its my DD so I don't want to go to extreme. My long-term plan for the car is a full exhaust, BBK, and eventually coil overs. However, if I can make enough money to get a 7.1 GT3 within the next five years then the M will remain in its current form.
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD

Last edited by JC919; 01-05-2010 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #13
Andrew 912
//M addicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E92 - MR X6M

Modifications either Exterior, Interior and performance are very common in Automotive therefore aftermarket Industries are growing rapidly. Each individual owner has their own need to make their car performed or looked as their standard car. BMW or any other brands just cannot fulfill everybody expectation to a certain degree. None of the standard cars are perfect to any individual person. You name it.. even Ferrari, Lamborgini or any other exotic cars have their after market modifications. Again, modification becomes enthusiasm target of satisfaction for some people.

Last edited by Andrew 912; 01-05-2010 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: Modification / Add pictures
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #14
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew 912 View Post
Modifications either Exterior, Interior and performance are very common in Automotive therefore aftermarket Industries are growing rapidly. Each individual owner has their own need to make their car performed or looked as their standard car. BMW or any other brands just cannot fulfill everybody expectation to a certain degree. None of the standard cars are perfect to any individual person. You name it.. even Ferrari, Lamborgini or any other exotic cars have their after market modifications. Again, modification becomes enthusiasm target of satisfaction for some people.
Well said.

I on the other hand could not live happily with a stock M3.......Or maybe I could. Oh well, I like to give my M a splash of my own personality.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 05:41 PM   #15
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Well put. It takes years and hundreds of miles of testing to fine tune an M and with every tuning part added, be it engine or suspension may well improve some part of the car but will compromise another.
While I see what you're saying footie, I respectfully disagree to some extent. The engineers tuning the M were faced with certain design constraints, including driveability (as defined by some average person) and price. If you're not so restricted (i.e., you have the money to burn and/or you don't need or want the softer drive that BMW gave the stock M3), there is room for improvement without compromise. Good examples are the brakes. Installing a BBK does not compromise the operation of the car at all. Another good example is exhaust, which for most of us improves the sound, improves the appearance, improves performance, and loses weight.

For other changes, the compromise can be largely or entirely mitigated by planning and executing your mods in a holistic fashion. For example, if you add some power with bolt-ons, increase your grip with slightly larger tires and improve your braking with a BBK or other mods. I've done all of the above and I don't feel that the overall balance of my M3 has been compromised in the least. In fact, I'm even happier with my M3 now than the day I bought it.

That said, I'll be the first to say that certain performance mods will create greater wear on the car, and every performance mod will affect the car's warranty, some more than others. However, if you plan and research your mods well, have them installed by professionals, and don't do anything drastic, this shouldn't be a major issue. In my case, other than having to be more careful with steep inclines, my car feels just as comfortable and is an even better daily driver than it was stock.

EDIT: I'm not sure why all the comments are being posted about "disrespecting" M. For most of us who mod our cars, it's not about disrespect, but rather tailoring the car to fit our individual needs and desires. The M engineers didn't know exactly what I'd want when they designed this car, and even if they did know, they'd still need to design the M around their perception of the target enthusiast. Modding is definitely not for everyone, and no one should criticize someone who keeps their car stock. On the flip side, however, someone who tastefully and purposefully modifies their car to fit their own needs or personality also should not be criticized.
      01-05-2010, 05:50 PM   #16
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

^Well said Tom
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #17
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

What TLud said

I mod if I can make it better either cosmetically (subjective) or performance related. I like to have my cars tailored to my taste.

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #18
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Ok, maybe I need change my wording from compromise to character and feel. With each part added, admittedly small bumps in power will effect it less, the same being true with suspension but taken a bit too far and the whole character that many first loved about the M3 will have gone.

Some may say that it's a small price to pay for the gains in performance, but other can counter this by saying that to achieve this desired performance the basic driveability and character have such changed to the extent that they may well have brought a different car.

It's simply a difference in opinion. But I welcome your opinions.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #19
Andrew 912
//M addicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E92 - MR X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
While I see what you're saying footie, I respectfully disagree to some extent. The engineers tuning the M were faced with certain design constraints, including driveability (as defined by some average person) and price. If you're not so restricted (i.e., you have the money to burn and/or you don't need or want the softer drive that BMW gave the stock M3), there is room for improvement without compromise. Good examples are the brakes. Installing a BBK does not compromise the operation of the car at all. Another good example is exhaust, which for most of us improves the sound, improves the appearance, improves performance, and loses weight.

For other changes, the compromise can be largely or entirely mitigated by planning and executing your mods in a holistic fashion. For example, if you add some power with bolt-ons, increase your grip with slightly larger tires and improve your braking with a BBK or other mods. I've done all of the above and I don't feel that the overall balance of my M3 has been compromised in the least. In fact, I'm even happier with my M3 now than the day I bought it.

That said, I'll be the first to say that certain performance mods will create greater wear on the car, and every performance mod will affect the car's warranty, some more than others. However, if you plan and research your mods well, have them installed by professionals, and don't do anything drastic, this shouldn't be a major issue. In my case, other than having to be more careful with steep inclines, my car feels just as comfortable and is an even better daily driver than it was stock.

EDIT: I'm not sure why all the comments are being posted about "disrespecting" M. For most of us who mod our cars, it's not about disrespect, but rather tailoring the car to fit our individual needs and desires. The M engineers didn't know exactly what I'd want when they designed this car, and even if they did know, they'd still need to design the M around their perception of the target enthusiast. Modding is definitely not for everyone, and no one should criticize someone who keeps their car stock. On the flip side, however, someone who tastefully and purposefully modifies their car to fit their own needs or personality also should not be criticized.
Well explaination....
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #20
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Ok, maybe I need change my wording from compromise to character and feel. With each part added, admittedly small bumps in power will effect it less, the same being true with suspension but taken a bit too far and the whole character that many first loved about the M3 will have gone.

Some may say that it's a small price to pay for the gains in performance, but other can counter this by saying that to achieve this desired performance the basic driveability and character have such changed to the extent that they may well have brought a different car.

It's simply a difference in opinion. But I welcome your opinions.
100% agree with this formulation, and I tried to use this principle as the lodestar guiding my modifications. I did not want to sacrifice the driveability or character of my M3. I think 99% of us would agree with this; where the differences come in is the balance that each of us is willing to strike.
      01-05-2010, 06:14 PM   #21
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

I will NEVER modify another car. I learned that the hard way after Procharging a car and wasting over 60,000.00 on the domino effect. Leave well alone for me.
      01-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #22
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

I have a problem, I mod all my cars even if its just cosmetic. I like things to be a bit different and personal

I think the Poll is too general tho because 30 or more hits on cosmetic+performance is including all the people that will do painted reflectors and intake filter replacement

There should be another option for bigger ticket items like Superchargers Turbo and full bodykits etc etc
Appreciate 0