BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

12-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #1
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

Transmission feels like its engaging with clutch in.

So I picked up a used '08 E92 M3 with around 18k miles. I have been driving around slowly in my neighborhood getting used to the car, and it feels like when I depress the clutch and move the lever to second gear (with the clutch still depressed) when preparing to come to a stop, you can feel the gear engage a little, you can hear a bit of whine and can feel the gear engage a little through the lever. The same goes for 1st gear. I think my clutch is not fully engaging....someone else got this too??

I swear if someone says "should have gotten DCT" I will find you

Many Thanks

-Krozi

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
///V\3Dude
I Drive Slow To Save Gas :D
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, MY11 STi

synchros baby~
      12-25-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///V\3Dude View Post
synchros baby~
Continue? How sure are you and what is the estimated cost of repair?
I doubt BMW warranty will cover it...

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
///V\3Dude
United_States
Rep

Im not to sure about it, but it's not a problem, the synchros are making the whining noise.

Why are you riding the clutch to come to a stop? put it in neutral and coast. Clutch riding is bad
      12-25-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Im not to sure about it, but it's not a problem, the synchros are making the whining noise.

Why are you riding the clutch to come to a stop? put it in neutral and coast. Clutch riding is bad
It's just from stop sign to stop sign in my neighborhood... I doubt the clutch is worn after just 18k miles... the car is 70% highway miles...I know that...so why would the synchros in the first two gears be worn? I know this isn't the only way to wear down synchros but if the driver rested his hand on the shifter while in 6th on the highway, wouldn't that wear the 6th gear synchro? I am a noob at this sorry

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
///V\3Dude
United_States
Rep

I'm sure nothing is worn, the synchros in these cars are alot louder than other cars. Our clutches are very robust and strong. But you shouldn't feel the gear engage if the clutch is fully engage. The dealer will most likely cover it.
      12-25-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure nothing is worn, the synchros in these cars are alot louder than other cars. Our clutches are very robust and strong. But you shouldn't feel the gear engage if the clutch is fully engage. The dealer will most likely cover it.
Thank you very much for the help Going to bring it to the dealer tomorrow....I had a list of things to get sorted out anyway..

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 10:32 PM   #8
JIO
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT

Check to see if the car has a clutch stop...a little adjustable button on the floor where the clutch pedal hits the carpet. Some people install them and the clutch barely disengages. That could be causing some noise.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 10:39 PM   #9
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIO View Post
Check to see if the car has a clutch stop...a little adjustable button on the floor where the clutch pedal hits the carpet. Some people install them and the clutch barely disengages. That could be causing some noise.
Yea checked that already...just going to bring it to the dealer and hope that whatever it might be, is covered under warranty...

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 10:58 PM   #10
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

I honestly don't understand what you're saying. If you depress cluch and car doesn't move clutch is fully disengaging. If you can change gears fine synchros are fine.
And yes, you should only depress clutch to change gears, not hold it down while coasting. These cars are noisy and clanky at low speeds, but it's normal. Doubt you have a problem, but a better explanation or a video would be nice. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 11:25 PM   #11
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
I honestly don't understand what you're saying. If you depress cluch and car doesn't move clutch is fully disengaging. If you can change gears fine synchros are fine.
And yes, you should only depress clutch to change gears, not hold it down while coasting. These cars are noisy and clanky at low speeds, but it's normal. Doubt you have a problem, but a better explanation or a video would be nice. Good luck.
I'll try

Kinda difficult to explain...it's just that when I drive at lower speeds and a stop sign is coming up...just before the sign comes up, I press the clutch and move the shifter to 2nd and slow down to do a Cali stop, it feels like 2nd gear gets engaged a little even when the clutch is ALL the way down on the floor.

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 12:08 AM   #12
///V\3Dude
United_States
Rep

Krozi, do you hear like the gears clanky, or do you actually feel like the friction point where the gears catch, because i just took my car out and try to see if i could feel it. But i still can't figure out what's going on with your car.
      12-26-2009, 12:14 AM   #13
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Krozi, do you hear like the gears clanky, or do you actually feel like the friction point where the gears catch, because i just took my car out and try to see if i could feel it. But i still can't figure out what's going on with your car.
The actual gears aren't clanky...the shifter action from 1-2 is a little clanky/notchy...but from what I have read this is normal... it's just that you can feel the RPM's change a little and hear/feel the gear engage just a little even with the clutch depressed all the way....I guess it's one of those things that you have to feel yourself...

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 02:50 AM   #14
MysticBlue
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C, '09 M3 DCT Coupe

I think it's just your synchros. Normal. At slow speeds synchros can actually impart a small amount of torque, enough to feel. If you are on a perfectly flat spot, sitting still, and you put a little pressure on your gear shift like you're going to put it in first gear, but without pushing in the clutch, you might actually get the car to move a little. Be careful doing it though; don't want to put enough pressure on it to actually grind the gears, but you should be able to put enough pressure on the synchros to make the car want to move a little. If you try rev matching when you shift into second, or wait until you are going slow enough that your speed would match your idle rpm, then it should just slip right into gear without feeling the synchros.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 08:46 AM   #15
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
I think it's just your synchros. Normal. At slow speeds synchros can actually impart a small amount of torque, enough to feel. If you are on a perfectly flat spot, sitting still, and you put a little pressure on your gear shift like you're going to put it in first gear, but without pushing in the clutch, you might actually get the car to move a little. Be careful doing it though; don't want to put enough pressure on it to actually grind the gears, but you should be able to put enough pressure on the synchros to make the car want to move a little. If you try rev matching when you shift into second, or wait until you are going slow enough that your speed would match your idle rpm, then it should just slip right into gear without feeling the synchros.
Thank you, I'll give it a try

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 10:24 AM   #16
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Let's see what the stealer says. If you're just feeling a vibration of the gear through the lever then it's probably the synchros and it's normal. If you actually feel the transmission engage (e.g., the car actually hitches a bit), then it's an issue of the clutch not fully separating from the transmission.

Don't forget that our engines are pretty grumpy at idle, too. Maybe its a combination of erratic engine revving and bumpy road conditions that might make the car feel like the gear is engaged.

Oh - and all else equal, I'd rather coast to a stop with the proper gear selected and clutch in then with the gearshift in neutral and no clutch. At least with the former you can quickly disengage the clutch should you need to react to some sort of emergency. You'd be SOL if you had to get out of the way very quickly with the car in neutral.

There's practically nothing that can be hurt by coasting with the clutch fully disengaged (i.e., the pedal all the way to the floor). Maybe you'd see normal wear and tear on a (throwout?) bearing but that's what it was designed to do for pretty much the life of the car. You'd be causing no more wear and tear on the car than say, opening and closing the door.

Clutch riding is only really bad when you have the clutch partially engaged and it constantly slips against the transmission (e.g., you're in the habit of driving with your foot resting on the clutch pedal).
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #17
Sergm3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 f10 m5 comp

I,m new to this. Just got my 08 e 92 with 5300 miles from the dealer three mounths ago drove for 3000 miles. Read a lot of posts, about noises from the tranny,clutch. Took the car to the dealer last week. Complaint about hard shifts from 1 to 2 gear. noises from the clutch. After a 10 days the dealer put in a new 6 speed in the car. IF you you have douts about noises don't delay take the car to dealer let them figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #18
///V\3Dude
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticBlue View Post
don't do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

don't push your gear shift into gear without clutch~ it's like a power shift! your just grinding your gears together, that's how it's moving forward.
      12-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #19
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergm3 View Post
I,m new to this. Just got my 08 e 92 with 5300 miles from the dealer three mounths ago drove for 3000 miles. Read a lot of posts, about noises from the tranny,clutch. Took the car to the dealer last week. Complaint about hard shifts from 1 to 2 gear. noises from the clutch. After a 10 days the dealer put in a new 6 speed in the car. IF you you have douts about noises don't delay take the car to dealer let them figure it out.
The question is...did the transmission swap really make things better? If so, can you please post the specific issues you had with your transmission before the dealer did the swap? Please be as detailed as possible so I and other users can get a good indication if something might not be right.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #20
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
don't do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

don't push your gear shift into gear without clutch~ it's like a power shift! your just grinding your gears together, that's how it's moving forward.
Yea I haven't tried it yet because I thought this "can't be good for the tranny" just going to head over to the dealer and take a service technician for a test drive.

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 03:13 PM   #21
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

You shouldn't need to push the clutch in until the last second in 2nd gear. I always downshift 'blipping' the throttle, which might help. And until you're at idle speed in 2nd there's no need to disengage the clutch; as it was said, it's always better to be in gear. The way I do it when there's a car or two ahead of me I wait until engine is at idle speed in 2nd gear, push the gear lever to N without using the clutch, and 'coast' until the stop sign. Then engage 1st and continue. I rarely have the clutch depressed more than a second. And in traffic, with the ultra-short 1st, you can crawl with the clutch out at walking speed, so I just time my pace to minimize using the clutch. Keeps me entertained and minimized clutch wear. Yes, a car or two could sneak in over time, but I don't care as long as it's not an SUV/bus .

Downshifting to 2nd at low speed is clanky as hell indeed, and also remember engine idle speed is higher with the clutch engaged. Probably nothing wrong if you're just hearing noises. As I said, if you stop and engine idles fine, clutch is FULLY disengaged. Clutch is hydraulic, so if it wasn't disengaging properly, it'd be all the time, not intermittent. Just get used to it man; nature of the beast. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #22
Sergm3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 f10 m5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_j View Post
The question is...did the transmission swap really make things better? If so, can you please post the specific issues you had with your transmission before the dealer did the swap? Please be as detailed as possible so I and other users can get a good indication if something might not be right.
It's hard to explain I've been driving stick a long time so when I got this car from the first day I noticed sounds for tarny and cluch the were new to me.I did research on that some soud like the bearing is turnig and grinding is normal when the car is in netral, but my thing was when shifting from 1 to 2 I coudn't shift smoth always had to pull the shifter harder it felt like the the gears were miss mached so that was my complait to the dealer. This car was driven by somebody else so never know how they shifted the car. The trany swap helped it shifts tight they also replased throught bearing. So guys if you didn't buy new and something doesn't fill right take it to dealer have them checked out that's why the car has 4 years warranty. Just keep on mind before my dealer pulled the trany out they said to me I would be responseble for repairs if the clutch or wlywheel was burned or miss used. Reply to you guys latter going to work.
Appreciate 0