BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

12-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
littleyellowm3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MR E90 M3

High pitched ringing, not unlike a tube tv; wont go away.

After taking the car on its first road trip, I started to notice a subtle high pitched electrical ringing or humming. It sounds sort of like a tube tv, or the background noise of a recording when you turn it up really loud. It gets quite loud when my left ear is in a very specific position, close to my normal driving position. I cannot locate where it is coming from, and Ive tried everything to make it stop short of disconnecting the battery. It is still there even when the ignition is off, and I lock the doors. I am wondering if it has something to do with the comfort access. I am going to try and have a friend take the key away and leave me in the car and see if it goes away. Has anyone else noticed this?

The original user of the animated Bert and Ernie avatar. Except no substitutes.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Sounds like a bad ground on an audio system. Did you upgrade the stereo, speakers or add anything that required an electrical ground?

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
AMOCHOSTO
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: IB BB E90 M3

Never heard that.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
PoorMan
Hello my name is...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 6MT

Never heard anything similar as well..Sorry
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

All cars make a very subtle high-pitched noise when the iDrive starts loading (which happens when you open a door or trunk, or get close to the car with the key), and lasts for a few minutes if you don't start the car. You can hear this by putting your ear on one of the front tweeters, but you shouldn't be able to hear it while sitting in the car. Maybe something is wrong with your car that is making that sound louder. Did it start happening all of a sudden? Or after some mod or event? Just curious.

I had one episode where I was momentarily blasted at full volume for a moment, after lowering the volume at the same time the radio was changing from CD to SAT. My daughter jumped out of the seat, but hasn't happened again. Hasn't happened again, but I don't touch anything while system is 'cycling'.

Good luck with whatever it is, and please keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
gundamz
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A

I was just about to post a similar question about the high pitch noise. It's very obvious when its connected to my iPhone via Bluetooth. I can hear the noise getting louder as you push down the accelerator. I believe it's a bad ground somewhere.

Should I bring it into the dealership and have them take a look? I am worry they will do more damage by taking the car apart. No confidence with dealership's work.

- Gundamz44
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 10:28 AM   #7
Dazzler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez 2007, 1M on order

Is it the same sound I mentioned in point 1 of this thread I wonder?

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100951
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #8
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Is it only when you go over the speed limit?

If so then it's probably the wife nagging at you to slow down, I have listen to mine for over 19 years and now I don't actually heard to words she speaks, just the annoying ringing in my ears.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 02:18 AM   #9
TheGooch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

I swear I'm dealing with the exact same issue in my 2009 750li. Goes to the dealer on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 09:59 AM   #10
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philritter21 View Post
After taking the car on its first road trip, I started to notice a subtle high pitched electrical ringing or humming. It sounds sort of like a tube tv, or the background noise of a recording when you turn it up really loud. It gets quite loud when my left ear is in a very specific position, close to my normal driving position. I cannot locate where it is coming from, and Ive tried everything to make it stop short of disconnecting the battery. It is still there even when the ignition is off, and I lock the doors. I am wondering if it has something to do with the comfort access. I am going to try and have a friend take the key away and leave me in the car and see if it goes away. Has anyone else noticed this?
You know, I think I've had the same sound for the last few days as well. I can't quite pinpoint it either, but I don't think it's coming from the engine bay. Keep us updated if you figure it out. I'm frankly not eager to drive my car to the dealer, especially not on these worthless summer tires in freezing weather.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 02:08 PM   #11
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
You know, I think I've had the same sound for the last few days as well. I can't quite pinpoint it either, but I don't think it's coming from the engine bay. Keep us updated if you figure it out. I'm frankly not eager to drive my car to the dealer, especially not on these worthless summer tires in freezing weather.
So why not buy some snow tires? Or do you just not drive your car in the winter?

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2009, 01:38 AM   #12
335i2007
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009, E92, M3, AW

I think I have heard the noise you are talking about. I was under the hood one day changing the air filter and out of no where I start hearing the sound you speak of. I did not have the car on or the keys in the ignition. But the sound was very high pitched and stayed on for only about 2 mins and then shut off. The sound was coming from under the hood but with such a high pitch it is hard to tell where from. Asked my dealer about it and they said it may be the valves self adjusting. Very weird if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 11:32 PM   #13
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Bingo, I just take the train in the winter. The car is just for errands on the weekend and joyriding

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
So why not buy some snow tires? Or do you just not drive your car in the winter?

Cheers,
e46e92
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 12:38 AM   #14
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i2007 View Post
Asked my dealer about it and they said it may be the valves self adjusting.
I'd find a different dealer NOW . Valve lash adjusters work with engine oil pressure.

What you folks are probably hearing is the tranny oil cooler pump; it's electric. But I haven't heard it lately due to cooler temperatures. Amp electric fan also runs with engine off, but it's in the trunk. And iDrive also starts running when you open a door, trunk, or approach the car with the key (CA). All kinds of electrical weird things .
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 08:34 AM   #15
wer1331
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philritter21 View Post

It's the amplifier, it happened to my car a few months ago. Bring it to BMW, its under the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #16
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
Bingo, I just take the train in the winter. The car is just for errands on the weekend and joyriding
Nice

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0