BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-12-2009, 05:28 AM   #1
gtaday51
gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep
Drives: gone 135 - Hello 1M!

speeding ticket

I got a speeeding ticket for 70mph in a 55mph zone yesterday. I was traveling a in a group of cars but I was traveling ~3-5mph faster than traffic. I'm 17 and a month away from my b-day. I was very repectful of the officer and never came off as a smartass. If anything I was scared out of my mind. What does this mean for me? Do I loose my license now? Because for 15mph that would be a load.
      03-12-2009, 05:32 AM   #2
tbird
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Bianca" 135cic AW/TC

Garage List
2008 135cic  [0.00]
Totally depends on state. I used to live in NH. In that state, you would get suspended for a year, regardless of your birthday coming up.

Down here in Florida, you would just go to one of our wonderful "Ticket Lawyers", get him to knock out the ticket. My last one was just like that, but the cop actually pulled over BOTH of us, at the same time. Ticket was $1000. Lawyer got it dismissed entirely.

Look up the NY DMV, look at the rules on tickets. If it is going to affect you majorly, then see if there are any "Traffic Offenses" lawyers, and if they are cheap or expensive. In FL, they start at only $80. In NH, I had a really bad ticket bit, cost me $700 to get out of that.

I wish you lots of luck!
2008 135cic, Alpine White/Terracotta Leather/BlackTop, Premium Package (Bluetooth, folding mirrors, etc), Sport Package with M Wheel, Navigation, Logic7 with HD and IPod and Sirius, Steptronic, M Aerodynamic Kit

2001 Focus ZX3, modified for fun commuting

Previous
2006 325xi
2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro
1984 Audi 4000S Quattro modified
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Camaro modified
1993 Ford Explorer (basic hauling)
1984+1988 Ford Broncos
1993 Honda Civic (Commuter, junk)
2008 Mini (wife's car, AWESOME)
A few more
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 05:35 AM   #3
doodads
Rep
Drives: 530i (Present)

Your insurance will probably go through the roof.

I wish I had a BMW when I was 16!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 06:05 AM   #4
gtaday51
gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep
Drives: gone 135 - Hello 1M!

The first thing I did when I got home (after being yelled at for getting a ticket) was go onto the NYS DMV website. It was no help and impossible to navigate. Thats why I am asking you guys if you know anything.

And I only have the car because I saved up 15K from years of working/not eating school lunch. That was the downpayment I put on the car.

And my dad is contacting his lawyer today. I'm hoping because its a first offense that we can get it at least downgraded...but in todays economy the sataes are in need of money. And they may not reduce it for that one reason.
      03-12-2009, 07:14 AM   #5
windmaker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128 Jet Black

do you have to go the court? It should say on the ticket. If its your first time, they will make you pay the fine. The state police should been there. He usually give ppl the first deal and he might be drop down the speed if u are guilty. Then you have to take a safety class and it usually cost around $60-$80.

I am going to the court today to fight against the state police who pull me over on Jan 3. This is the second trial which if I lose, I will have to pay 1k or more becuase I did not take the first deal.

Good luck to you kid.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 07:25 AM   #6
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
Wow a ticket at 17 I know in Ohio if you get a speeding violation under 18 of any kind you get your lisence pulled for a year.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 07:52 AM   #7
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Ah yes...I remember my first ticket at the tender age of 16. 78 MPH in a 55 zone (on a 4-lane highway, back when the national speed limit was effectively 55.) In a 4-cyl Chevy Celebrity, no less. Still had my learner's permit. $168.00 straight out of my bank account.

They didn't suspend my license, but that was Pennsylvania (and nearly 20 years ago.)

If your dad's consulting an attorney, (s)he will have the appropriate answers for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 09:15 AM   #8
windmaker
Lieutenant
Rep

I just came back from the court. Lucky, I paid the fine and it was $200. He was nice. He still gave me a deal. Normally, they wont because they usually want you pay more. Well, of course my insurance will go up a little bit since this is my second speeding ticket. I had it 3 years ago when I had a GT Mustang. Now, I have to wait another 3 years to clean my record. Poor me!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 09:18 AM   #9
gnpower
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M Sport 135i

Take it to court. Fight ever single ticket you ever get in your life. If the cop doesn't show up in court then the ticket is dismissed. If he shows up then he best have proof you were doing that speed. If you lose, then you at least gave you some time. the entire process takes 3- 5 months in Ma, not sure about your state. If this is your first ticket I would assume that you would be fined just like anyone else and move on. After 3 tickets in 1 year time then your off to drivers education courses. If you get more tickets after that then you lose your license for about 3 months. My brother has more tickets then I've had birthdays. All these suggestions are based on Mass laws. check with your state.
      03-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #10
gnpower
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmaker View Post
I just came back from the court. Lucky, I paid the fine and it was $200. He was nice. He still gave me a deal. Normally, they wont because they usually want you pay more. Well, of course my insurance will go up a little bit since this is my second speeding ticket. I had it 3 years ago when I had a GT Mustang. Now, I have to wait another 3 years to clean my record. Poor me!!!!
3 years! your lucky. Try 7 years in Ma.
      03-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #11
mmand743
Rep
Drives: 128i

Where on Long Island did you get the ticket? If it was Nassau County, then you are golden. Just plead "not guilty", show up in court and plea bargain down. You probably don't even need a lawyer. I have tons of friends who have done this. Nassau is a good place to get a ticket. At 15mph over the limit, the DA will probably offer you a reduced offense, but the fine will most likely go up. Well worth it in my opinion.

There are a few towns in Long Island (and all of NYC) that have a Traffic Violations Bureau.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c49.htm

If you got a ticket in one of these jurisdictions, then you are pretty much screwed. It is near impossible to get out of one of these. Just google
"NY Traffic Violations Bureau" and read all about it.

Good luck. Btw, I'm not a lawyer, and this isn't legal advice, etc. etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #12
Judge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnpower View Post
Take it to court. Fight ever single ticket you ever get in your life.
If you don't mind paying extra court costs for wasting the government's time, this is good advice.

If you are clearly guilty of the offense (speeding caught on radar) your best bet might be to take an online driver's ed course if it's available in your state. In Florida, I believe you can take it up to four times in your life. It keeps the points off your license as well as your insurance rates from going up.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #13
windmaker
Lieutenant
Rep

Dont ever fight with them. If he radar you that means they have the picutres on your licnese plate. I just talked to the trooper. They will not provide any pictutre to you. Only to the court. If they show it, you will have pay the total fine and 20% of penalty. So you will end up paying $500 more. At the end, he showed me the picture and they caught me. I was lucky took his advice.

Since you are only 17, once you turn 18 they will clean your record. Maybe 21 if they changed the laws.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 10:04 AM   #14
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible (AW/CR)

I got my first speeding ticket when I was 18. I lived in southern Michigan and my family was on our way up to the Upper Peninsula for a family vacation in our minivan. I was driving just south of the Mackinaw Bridge when I got pulled over doing 70-75. My ticket was for "70 in a 55 (formerly 70) MPH zone". Yes, it actually said that. This was in the late 80s when the national speed limits were 55 after the oil crisis. Of course, now that states can set their own speed limits again, that particular stretch of road is 70 MPH again.

amy!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 10:11 AM   #15
jotapeh
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona Red 128i

Garage List
2008 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amybang View Post
I got my first speeding ticket when I was 18. I lived in southern Michigan and my family was on our way up to the Upper Peninsula for a family vacation in our minivan. I was driving just south of the Mackinaw Bridge when I got pulled over doing 70-75. My ticket was for "70 in a 55 (formerly 70) MPH zone". Yes, it actually said that. This was in the late 80s when the national speed limits were 55 after the oil crisis. Of course, now that states can set their own speed limits again, that particular stretch of road is 70 MPH again.
I wish they would up the speed limits again up here in Canada. World's second largest country and yet the fastest you can ever drive legally is 110km/h (68mph.) And as far as I know, that's only one highway in all of Canada. Most of the big highways are 100km/h (62mph.) Frustratingly slow, at least in my opinion.

Why does such a (relatively) small country like Germany have an Autobahn, but the entirety of North America does not? It makes no sense.

By the way, when I say large vs. small, I am of course referring to geographical area covered... not population or economy.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 10:30 AM   #16
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Please don't feel bad. Getting speed tickect is part of our life. You just need to watch out and drive safe. I still remember I got 6 speed tickects within 2 years when I was driving a red Pontiac Firehawk with modified exhaust. The cop can hear me coming down the street and get their ticket book ready. After I sold it, I still get a speed ticket once every 3-4 years. I just got one 2 months ago with my 135 doing 70 over 50 in NC. I just showed up in the court and pay my dues. Lucky, the court clerk reduced it to 60/50 but NC court fee is already $120, so the reduction didn't help a lot except for insurance.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 10:53 AM   #17
tbird
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Bianca" 135cic AW/TC

Garage List
2008 135cic  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotapeh View Post
I wish they would up the speed limits again up here in Canada. World's second largest country and yet the fastest you can ever drive legally is 110km/h (68mph.) And as far as I know, that's only one highway in all of Canada. Most of the big highways are 100km/h (62mph.) Frustratingly slow, at least in my opinion.

Why does such a (relatively) small country like Germany have an Autobahn, but the entirety of North America does not? It makes no sense.

By the way, when I say large vs. small, I am of course referring to geographical area covered... not population or economy.
This should be its own thread in the Off-Topic area, and believe me, I would chime in on this one. America is a laughing stock of the world on this. We let any dolt who can at least start a car and park a car and has $20 in their pocket go out and get a drivers license and clog up our highways. Then we have cops with antiquated mentalities as to highway safety go out and ignore the dangerous freaks on the road and go after someone doing 70 in a 55 on an Interstate Highway.

Yes, VERY VERY frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bring over the rules from Germany or Finland, THEN we will have safe highways.
2008 135cic, Alpine White/Terracotta Leather/BlackTop, Premium Package (Bluetooth, folding mirrors, etc), Sport Package with M Wheel, Navigation, Logic7 with HD and IPod and Sirius, Steptronic, M Aerodynamic Kit

2001 Focus ZX3, modified for fun commuting

Previous
2006 325xi
2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro
1984 Audi 4000S Quattro modified
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Camaro modified
1993 Ford Explorer (basic hauling)
1984+1988 Ford Broncos
1993 Honda Civic (Commuter, junk)
2008 Mini (wife's car, AWESOME)
A few more
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #18
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
get a lawyer asap
under 18 speeding is big deal.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #19
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotapeh View Post
It's been a few years since I was out there, but I seem to remember a 120 kph limit on the Coquihalla (sp?) highway in BC - wonderful road, by the way.

And don't forget that you guys had the 100 kph limit on rural roads for years when we suffered with the national 55 mph limit.

But you are right, especially in western Canada, the limits and anti radar detector laws seem to be unnecessary.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #20
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Crimson/Coral 135i

Quote:
Since you are only 17, once you turn 18 they will clean your record. Maybe 21 if they changed the laws.
Where'd you hear this? Is it a particular jurisdiction? This isn't a juvenile offense, I've never heard of a traffic offense disappearing because you turned 18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybang View Post

amy!
I encountered this exact same thing with one of my first tickets. It was on US 50 Highway in MO and because of that I was not given any points. This would have been in the very early 90's. The officer said I was doing 70 but I was probably going a bit more.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 11:25 AM   #21
1HungryMan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Quote:
Poor me!!!!
Poor you??? You're 17 and driving a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 11:27 AM   #22
Monterra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 X1 msport sdrive28

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzodesh View Post
get a lawyer asap
under 18 speeding is big deal.
First offense, 15 over doesn't sound like that big a deal to me, don't panic. Plead not-guilty by mail right away, go to court and claim you going with the flow of traffic which it seems like you essentially were. Likely scenario in court is the DA (you don't deal with the cop directly anymore in NY) will offer either a 64/55 (3 pointer) or my personal fav. failure to obey traffic device (2 pointer). Your strong points that you should sell to the DA are:
1- first offense
2- not disrupting safe flow of traffic

Dress nicely, bring cash and remember your concern is to get less points your at 4 right now. Worst case if the DA is a hard ass take the course and your 4 points will be wiped away, not the violation but the points which attribute to possible suspension if they exceed 11 within a certain time frame.
Appreciate 0