BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-03-2009, 02:49 AM   #1
DueceCoupe
Rep
Drives: Civic.Si,R75/5BMW,LexusES350

Need some straight talk...Honestly

When I finished college in '73 I couldn't swing that 2002tii right away and bought a BMW R75/5 long frame that I still have and ride. I kept waiting for the next BMW to come along but nothing BMW made ever replaced the 2002 in my opinion. No matter...marriage and family required that I pass on every hedonistic boy toy I ever wanted in a kind of sacrificial way only a real man can understand, so I bought sensible cars and trucks...and found total reliabilty with all my Japanese vehicles after BAD LUCK with various euro-cars in the 70's and early 80's.
I'm concerned about the reliabilty of the 135's engine beyond the warranty period and would appreciate hearing from those who own and drive BMW's.
I'm not looking to push the car to the outside of the envelope but I do appreciate power and handling when needed or desired. It's not a money thing I'm stuck on...it's engine reliabilty over time and distance. My motorcycle has been near perfect for 36 years...just normal wear on parts replaced, etc. I keep thinking I should get the 128i as it will probably last three times longer then the turbo engined 135i...what's the reality of the new BMW engines? Nickle/dime on steroids or bullet proof when serviced right? Is the 135i over-kill for a daily driver? Too much car to enjoy around town in routine traffic? Maybe this will help you see where I'm at...If I get a 135i I'm opting for the 17" wheels over the 18's, M package, XM/Sirus and that's it. Same for the 128i and maybe it would be more entertaining to drive since you would have to work the engine more to find the right gear for the situation at hand. I appreciate your honest insights and personal opinions. I have had little success getting the answers I'm looking for googling the net and searching various forums. Sorry about the long post.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 06:15 AM   #2
tbird
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Bianca" 135cic AW/TC

Garage List
2008 135cic  [0.00]
You will get a LOT of info on this from 1Addicts members. But the problem is that there are just so many factors to put in there.

First, the obvious, the N54 engine has not been around for a decade or so, not a lot of post-warranty info on it yet. Also, as you can tell from a lot of threads, people stick to the newer cars. Some have some golden oldies that are still going, and down here in SoFl, we have TONS of older BMW's still rolling around, and in good condition too.

But BMW has the best warranty in the car biz, and there is just no substitute for peace-of-mind. However, in saying all that, you will probably get a good amount of posts on the engine, and hopefully people will give you input on how the engine is made, what are the parts to worry about and what aren't.

As for where you live, what are the conditions there? New Mexico, if you have a lot of sand and dust in the air, those will blow into your turbos on the N54, will that produce extra wear/tear? See, just one small factor.

I see in your profile you have a Civic. I would strongly suggest you do the same as me, that you beat on your Civic as your daily car. Driving to work, driving to the grocery and getting banged by shopping carts, etc, let the Civic take the beating. This keeps the mileage down on your BMW. Then, get the extended warranty by BMW Factory when the 4yr50K is up, and extend to 8 years since your mileage will be down. THEN, make sure that your car insurance company puts the Civic as your daily car, and put your BMW on the 6K/year plan. Devalued Civic will be the foundation of your insurance rates, and the BMW gets the multi-car AND low mileage discount.

Problem solved. You have warranty on engine for 8 years, car lasts to the point that when you actually DO have to make an engine repair, it won't be till the year 2017.

Let me tell you, the NUMEROUS hood chips and the three BIG door dings on my ZX3 are a testament to this plan. They are on the ZX3, and not on my freaking beautiful 135cic. Not bashing my ZX3 or your Civic, just stating that these cars have a place and a duty, and my ZX3 is doing her duty incredibly well.

Believe you me, I understand about marriage and duties, and those hold back those purchases we all want so badly, such as a supercharger, coilover suspension, and carbon fiber body parts for the ZX3 so she is lighter and faster. If you do the 135, then you have a good mix. You have the power and handling, but also still have the warranty, and all while simply stock. You get your cake AND eat it too.

Enjoy.
2008 135cic, Alpine White/Terracotta Leather/BlackTop, Premium Package (Bluetooth, folding mirrors, etc), Sport Package with M Wheel, Navigation, Logic7 with HD and IPod and Sirius, Steptronic, M Aerodynamic Kit

2001 Focus ZX3, modified for fun commuting

Previous
2006 325xi
2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro
1984 Audi 4000S Quattro modified
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Camaro modified
1993 Ford Explorer (basic hauling)
1984+1988 Ford Broncos
1993 Honda Civic (Commuter, junk)
2008 Mini (wife's car, AWESOME)
A few more
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 06:17 AM   #3
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

If I were you I would get the 135i with extended warranty and call it a day.
      03-03-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

It sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of this. CARPE DIEM.

PS. Why would you get the M sport and 17s? Are 18s not standard with M?

As new2the3 says just buy an extended warranty. The sales guys love to sell those.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 06:54 AM   #5
AlienDNA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i LeMans Blue

Based on what you say in your original post, the 135i is probably more motor than you're really looking for, and you'd be well served with a 128i. They're great cars, too, and I don't think you could go wrong either way. Test them both and see if the engine in the 135i is what you want.

The Canadian car configurator won't let you spec 17" wheels and the M-Sport package; they appear to be mutually exclusive.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
DueceCoupe
Rep

17's are a no cost option on the 135i. Same set up one gets with the 128i sport package.The back 18"ers are 35's on a 135i and I would rather trade some grip for additional rubber to better absorb unseen rim damaging pot holes. As for an extended warranty...that's a real confidence builder... but a good suggestion regardless.

Last edited by DueceCoupe; 03-03-2009 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
Monterra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 X1 msport sdrive28

Do you want to go fast or really fast?
Honestly you really have to drive them back to back and probably more than once. For me, the 135 was a bit over the top (power wise) for my daily needs and level of self control. Next was long-term reliability and cost questions of the turbo (as stated earlier these are still pretty much unknown.) A few extra hwy mpg doesn't hurt on my 80 mile per day commute either nor does the 5-6k left in my pocket. Last and many will disagree with this but I really dislike the M wheel. One of the reviews I read echoed my opinion saying it felt like a squishy oversized sausage.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 11:01 AM   #8
AlienDNA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueceCoupe View Post
17's are a no cost option on the 135i. Same set up one gets with the 128i sport package.The back 18"ers are 35's on a 135i and I would rather trade some grip for additional rubber to better absorb unseen rim damaging pot holes. As for an extended warranty...that's a real confidence builder... but a good suggestion regardless.
Better check that - even on the US configurator, you can choose either the 17" wheels or the M-Sport package on the 135, not both. The note attached to the 17" option even states "By adding this selection you will also remove: M-Sport package." Maybe that will change once the M-Sport package is available for the 128, but I wouldn't bet on it...

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 11:01 AM   #9
DueceCoupe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird View Post
....New Mexico, if you have a lot of sand and dust in the air, those will blow into your turbos on the N54, will that produce extra wear/tear?
Enjoy.
Had two SAAB Turbos late 80's but never kept them long enough to have problems show up. You made a very good point I wasn't considering...one can only filter so much before flow is restricted. Yes...extended warranty if the 135i. I bet it's $4-5K to replace those on a BMW.

I change air filters every 10K, use FP3000, and always get or got below average silicon levels on my UOA's for any of my cars. The wife's Lexus especially does well. The Si shears 5W/30's to a "/20" too fast but otherwise an engine blessed by the gods for low wear numbers. Do any of you guys have UOA's on your 1's?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 11:20 AM   #10
DueceCoupe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienDNA View Post
Better check that - even on the US configurator, you can choose either the 17" wheels or the M-Sport package on the 135, not both. The note attached to the 17" option even states "By adding this selection you will also remove: M-Sport package." Maybe that will change once the M-Sport package is available for the 128, but I wouldn't bet on it.
I'm getting my info from the 2009 BMW brochure. I'll check it out closer. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 11:41 AM   #11
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

Duece, I guess I fall into your age category, grizzled and a bit long in the tooth. I have had a number of BMW's over the years, and all have been quite reliable, but we seldome keep them over the warranty period. We have a x5 4.4 06 that will be going to our son, and my wife will be driving the 135 Vert when it arrives. I will not bother with the warranty because my wife knows that it will go in 4 years. Now I am getting a 09 Honda Pilot Touring to haul stuff around and I will get the 5/60 for $415 giving me 2 years extra peace of mind, especially on all the the electronics and Navi.

The TT has been out for a while. As long as you do not go crazy with mods, you should be fine. If you do get a Warranty, be sure to negotiate as there is a ton of dealer profit in them. Best of luck and enjoy whatever you get.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #12
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
Quote:
When I finished college in '73 I couldn't swing that 2002tii right away and bought a BMW R75/5 long frame that I still have and ride. I kept waiting for the next BMW to come along but nothing BMW made ever replaced the 2002 in my opinion. No matter...marriage and family required that I pass on every hedonistic boy toy I ever wanted in a kind of sacrificial way only a real man can understand, so I bought sensible cars and trucks...and found total reliabilty with all my Japanese vehicles after BAD LUCK with various euro-cars in the 70's and early 80's.
I'm concerned about the reliabilty of the 135's engine beyond the warranty period and would appreciate hearing from those who own and drive BMW's.
I'm not looking to push the car to the outside of the envelope but I do appreciate power and handling when needed or desired. It's not a money thing I'm stuck on...it's engine reliabilty over time and distance. My motorcycle has been near perfect for 36 years...just normal wear on parts replaced, etc. I keep thinking I should get the 128i as it will probably last three times longer then the turbo engined 135i...what's the reality of the new BMW engines? Nickle/dime on steroids or bullet proof when serviced right? Is the 135i over-kill for a daily driver? Too much car to enjoy around town in routine traffic? Maybe this will help you see where I'm at...If I get a 135i I'm opting for the 17" wheels over the 18's, M package, XM/Sirus and that's it. Same for the 128i and maybe it would be more entertaining to drive since you would have to work the engine more to find the right gear for the situation at hand. I appreciate your honest insights and personal opinions. I have had little success getting the answers I'm looking for googling the net and searching various forums. Sorry about the long post.
Your Q's and my anwsers

-Reality of new bmw engines:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38856
-maint cost
so far with 335's with high mileage maint costs are low, minus the issue of the oil cooler.
-135 DD
Its perfect for DD, especially great for highway cruising
-routine driving
Mpg is not so great in town, but it is a very mangable car around town even if its suburbia or nyc

I was in the same position as you when i ordered. I wanted a 128, coming from a turbo sti I was sick of turbo lag and the possible complications. It was actually my wife that pushed me for the 128 and i am glad she did. Std equipment like xenons is a must on the 135, and also once i drove 128 i never felt like it was enough.

I know you main concern is reliability, and my 135 with 7k has been flawless

Hope this helps

-dave
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 12:25 PM   #13
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

My solution is a 128i 'vert and an R1200RT,
and I found the 128i to be the perfect vehicle for crossing your magical state on Rt. 64 last summer.

Glad to hear your old boxer is holding up - I often wish I still had my '76 /6!
Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #14
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

If you're concerned about long term reliability the 128i manual would probably be the best bet.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 01:31 PM   #15
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

If the OP wants 17's he can get 17's.

I don't care what the online config says or even what options the dealers can and cannot select in their system. If you have a decent CA he will make damn sure you get the wheels you want.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #16
4wheelcycle
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2018 X2 M Sport

I was in the same position as you last spring. I realized the 128i was really all I needed and I also had concerns that the turbo 135i might have so much power down low that I would not get the enjoyment of really working the gears. I also had some concerns about the longevity of the twin turbos, though no concerns about the basic engine itself.

However, three things swayed me to the 135i. First, I was coming out of a Honda S2000. I loved it for five years, but after driving a car that made all its power up high I was ready for a car with lots of low-end power. Second, I fell in love with the M steering wheel and gear shift - I just had to have them. Finally, I began thinking of the 135i as a very cost-effective and better MPG alternative to the M3. Once I got my thinking to that point I had to have the 135i.

I agree with others who have said a good CA could get you the 17" wheels with the Sport/M package if that's what you want, but I ultimately decided to go with the 18" set-up and I am very happy with it. I've had the car for almost a year now with no maintenance issues at all. I love it, both around town and especially on weekend drives. I only got metallic paint, leather and the M/Sport package, so my price was $38,600.

I did not buy the extended warranty when I bought my car, but if I can still get it at the end of my four year warranty I may reconsider - unless BMW comes out with something more tempting in four years!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #17
BimmerLearner
My car is less than a week old and on its 3rd tank
Rep
Drives: Tiag 135 Vert

I thought the 128 was going to be perfect for me too; I didnt and dont think I will ever use the 135 to its fullest, but boy, theres nothing like giving that twin turbo a hoof; so just try before you buy
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 12:08 AM   #18
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

I drove the 128i and fell in love with it. I then drove the 135i and fell in love with it and it's power. I could have easily been happy with the 128i, it was the most fun I ever had in a car, ever (keeping in mind that I've never driven Porsches, Lotus, M BMW's, etc). But then I floored it in a 135i and realized that I could have everything the 128i had, plus getting my head stuck to the back of the headrest from accelerating.. which I honestly could have lived without, it was just an awesome bonus. SO if you're worried about turbo reliability and planning to keep this beast for a long time, you'll be happy with a 128i, I know I would have been, especially with the sports package suspension upgrade, because while I love the power, the handling is really the best you'll get out of a car that's not a dedicated 2 seater sports car. Save for an M, or something 70k and above..

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #19
DueceCoupe
Rep

Thanks to all. Will test drive as soon as my dealership gets a 135i manual and a sport package 128i.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #20
Monterra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 X1 msport sdrive28

Quote:
Thanks to all. Will test drive as soon as my dealership gets a 135i manual and a sport package 128i.
I was forced to make this comparison with a 128i non-sport package as there are VERY few of these with a manual in the entire Northeast for some reason. I was told that the difference is not night and day and my one complaint on the 128 non-sport was that it was a bit soft. I didn't find the 135 to be harsh in any way so I think the comparo can be done without a sport 128 if need be. I'd say the tranny is far more important if its manual you're after, both cars MUST be manual.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #21
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

While my wife loved to drive a manual in AZ, in the Chicago area during rush hour you seldom would get out of 2 or 3rd gear. Nothing wrong with the great Steptronic. Only was I would now get a manual is if it only came that way, eg a Viper ACR
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #22
Redbeemer
Ne Plus Ultra
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue 2022 M240iXdrive

I too am an old geezer (although not bald, thank God) and I was faced with a similar question last year. I had always bought the relatively sensible car in the past when I could have afforded an all out muscle car such as the street Hemi in '67-'69 or even a Corvette. I always went for the lesser, more practical car. I thought about getting the 128 this time, but I decided that probably by the time it rolls around to replace this car, I will be happy to drive something totally practical and lower powered. But I wanted to "go for the gusto" this time and I am glad I did. The stock 135 is a very quick car, but it is not at all impractical or unmanageable in daily driving. I average 21.6 mpg in mostly freeway (stop and start) driving. I love the power being there at nearly any rpm when I want or really need it, while the car is docile and easy to drive at most any speed, fast or slow. Most people would never know it was a turbo from the way it drives, unlike some other current (and past) turbo cars. I agree with several of the comments above about getting the extended warranty (for either car) and driving both back to back several times. I don't think you would dislike either car, but if you are really wanting to scratch that itch you have been holding back on for so long, by all means get the 135 and never look back. BMW is known for building reliable engines and I would expect the N54 to hold with that tradition. I also feel that the stock engine is very understressed, so if you keep it stock, I don't think you would need to worry about it wearing out prematurely, assuming you follow good maintenance procedures.
Good luck with your choice, let us know what you decide, and please excuse the flamming from one of our memebers. Most of us are happy to share our experiences with the cars we love with others.
Appreciate 0