BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: What to buy, what to buy...
Dinan stage 2 software 9 50.00%
Dinan front & rear swaybars & spring kit 9 50.00%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

02-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
TexasKid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BigWheel

What to buy, what to buy...

So I just got my 135i about 2 months ago and I'm itching to get some goodies. I want to get her prepped for a track day in a few months, but not sure which item to get first.
      02-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #2
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

As a rule, I would improve handling first, then improve engine.... But it may depend on what you plan on doing. Autocross? Suspension. Drag-racing? Engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
gnpower
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M Sport 135i

Let the thing break in first. Do suspension.
      02-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I - white/coral red - sport

First thing to do is take it to the track and drive it. How much experience do you have on the track? My 135I is not my track car; but, I have taken it out a few times. For me it is a toss up between the brake pads and the fun flat tires. Given that your screen name is Texaskid, you might be in Texas and will experience higher then normal ambient temperatures. On a continuum, the last thing that I would modify would be the engine. The stock brake pads simply cannot deal with any heat, they are nearly perfect for the street. Likewise, the combination of a relatively narrow front tire and the small air volume in the RFT contribute to a very steep pressure gradient. Don't let the air pressure get over 40psi.

If you don't have a lot of track time, the best value for the dollar is track time, and that is best achieved with a reliable car that does not overheat the engine, tires, or brakes out of an optimum range. If you are just starting out, this means start out with a completely stock car. A good intermediate solution I used for my wife when she was starting out was to put Kuhmo Ecstas and Hawk HPS on the Boxster S. I don't know what good street/performance pad is available for our cars. I have HPS on all the street cars except the 135I.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
TexasKid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BigWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by white911 View Post
First thing to do is take it to the track and drive it. How much experience do you have on the track? My 135I is not my track car; but, I have taken it out a few times. For me it is a toss up between the brake pads and the fun flat tires. Given that your screen name is Texaskid, you might be in Texas and will experience higher then normal ambient temperatures. On a continuum, the last thing that I would modify would be the engine. The stock brake pads simply cannot deal with any heat, they are nearly perfect for the street. Likewise, the combination of a relatively narrow front tire and the small air volume in the RFT contribute to a very steep pressure gradient. Don't let the air pressure get over 40psi.

If you don't have a lot of track time, the best value for the dollar is track time, and that is best achieved with a reliable car that does not overheat the engine, tires, or brakes out of an optimum range. If you are just starting out, this means start out with a completely stock car. A good intermediate solution I used for my wife when she was starting out was to put Kuhmo Ecstas and Hawk HPS on the Boxster S. I don't know what good street/performance pad is available for our cars. I have HPS on all the street cars except the 135I.

Hawk pads are on my list as well, but unfotunately Hawk doesn't have them yet...they'll be available around April. Part numbers below for HPS pads.
HB603F.616 Front
HB604F.598 Rear