BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-21-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
craig66
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Does one lose performance in the 135i Vert vs coupe

I currently have a somewhat underpowered 2006 3.0i Z4 and am counting the days to lease end for my new 135. I love the 135 convertible. I am worried I am giving up some performance for the the 135 convertible over the coupe. The performance numbers in the convertible seem a little lower than in the coupe (probably due to weight and rigidity differences). Does anyone know if these are negligible differences or if there are truly clear differences in the handling and performance of the two cars

Thanks

Craig
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 10:21 PM   #2
SpeedballTrix
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT SBM/CBL; 2022 X5

I test drove an automatic vert before taking delivery of my stick coupe and honestly I noticed a difference for sure.
There is a significant weight difference from the coupe to the vert, and the straight line acceleration (as well as the handling) will suffer accordingly.
If you really must have a vert, wait for the new Z4. It's gonna be pretty badass and, imo, being a purpose built roadster is the only way to go if you want a droptop.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 10:24 PM   #3
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
The new Z4 looks awesome!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 10:45 PM   #4
gtaday51
gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep
Drives: gone 135 - Hello 1M!

I have a 135 Vert and a 135 Coupe and trust me. There is no comparing the two cars at the limit. But quite frankly, for every day driving, even fast driving, your not going to reach those limits. And yes, the Vert is not as stealler of a performer as the Coupe. But it is the most rewarding convertible that I have ever driven and I love it to death.
      02-21-2009, 11:33 PM   #5
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

135 vert feels much faster than my previous Z4si, however loses in handling. I hope 135 coupe handles like Z4. I decide to get 135 instead on new Z4, because 2 extra seats are handy.
      02-22-2009, 02:29 AM   #6
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

I have been on a few drive days with fellow 1er's and I must say the coupes allways leave me behind in cornering..
The vert is a little rigid in cornering at speed,but in normal everyday spirited driving the difference is minimal...

I love my vert and wouldnt ever swap it over for the coupe..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

I own the the coupe and have driven the convertible. In jumping from one to the other back to back there is a noticable difference in structural rigidity and handling. The vert didn't feel as buttoned down as the coupe but I didn't find it lacking in performance either. There are almost always trade-offs in a vert vs. coupe such as added weight, rigidity etc. It's why you see a lot of manufacturers leaning toward a retractable hardtop config (think 335i, new Z4, Miata PRT...) Go to the dealer and drive them back to back. You'll figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 04:43 PM   #8
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedballTrix View Post
I test drove an automatic vert before taking delivery of my stick coupe and honestly I noticed a difference for sure.
There is a significant weight difference from the coupe to the vert, and the straight line acceleration (as well as the handling) will suffer accordingly.
If you really must have a vert, wait for the new Z4. It's gonna be pretty badass and, imo, being a purpose built roadster is the only way to go if you want a droptop.
I don't think thats a fair comparison. An automatic vs. manual....???? Oh course the automatic seemed slower!!! Your testing method had a big flaw!
There is of course a performance difference between coupe/convert, but I don't think its as noticable as you make it seem! I doubt the average driver could really tell the diff.
I do agree with you on that new Z4...that looks awesome. I can't wait to see one in person.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 08:20 PM   #9
craig66
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Thanks all for your help. I do so love bieng able to put the roof down and turn my drive home into a mini vacation. Since I am only a spirited driver and do no track time I think that the trend I am getting is that in daily driving the difference is not worth me giving up the chance to develope a skin cancer. So I will likely proceed with my plans for the Vert

Hey at the end of the day it is a BMW..... A bad Bimmer is still better than some of the best that others have to offer...lol

Craig
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 09:07 PM   #10
kingnonis
**1er Lover**
Rep
Drives: my gf insane

I disagree. The day I signed for my 135 vert I test drove a coupe (MT) and a Step vert. The ONLY difference was in rigidity and handling on tight corners..and when I say "difference" I mean MINIMAL. You only really will notice it if you plan to go to the track (in which case you might not even be let on with a vert). To hit on the points mentioned above, performance wise, I felt no advantage MT to Step, as the ZF step is quicker 0-62 than a MT being driven by anyone other than an expert MT driver, and the vert' to coupe in accel diff is negligible as well. The diff really, as I said before, is in handling and noticable really only if you will be doing laps on a track. Personally, I chose the vert step over the coupe MT because the vert step felt faster, and nothig IMHO beats hearing the N54's roar with the top down on a sunny day.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 08:36 AM   #11
tbird
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Bianca" 135cic AW/TC

Garage List
2008 135cic  [0.00]
I agree. Yes, there is going to be a difference between a coupe and a vert. Yes, there will be a difference between MT and AT. BUT, you buy a vert for a reason. If you must have the ABSOLUTE POSITIVE MAXIMUM performance, then you would want the coupe. If you want to drop the top, buy a topless car.

What the point should be is that no matter what, the 135 is a barn-burner. I have the 135cic, and so far, not one single car can beat me. Shelby Mustang, nope. I had one late night "semi-race" with a Gallardo, where we weren't overtly racing, it was just a point of who was in front of the other on city street. His big ass couldn't get through cars, so I could pass easily and he couldn't. He stayed in my rear-view mirror not due to speed or torque, but because he simply couldn't navigate as well as me.

So, for a perfectionist who lives at the track, go get your MT Coupe. For those of us who are happy with losing a teeny tiny touch of performance so that we can get a host of other creature comforts, and love being able to easily "negotiate traffic", I think the balance is better.
2008 135cic, Alpine White/Terracotta Leather/BlackTop, Premium Package (Bluetooth, folding mirrors, etc), Sport Package with M Wheel, Navigation, Logic7 with HD and IPod and Sirius, Steptronic, M Aerodynamic Kit

2001 Focus ZX3, modified for fun commuting

Previous
2006 325xi
2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro
1984 Audi 4000S Quattro modified
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Camaro modified
1993 Ford Explorer (basic hauling)
1984+1988 Ford Broncos
1993 Honda Civic (Commuter, junk)
2008 Mini (wife's car, AWESOME)
A few more
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #12
venom7777
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
The new Z4 looks awesome!
+1
      02-23-2009, 07:35 PM   #13
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird View Post
I agree. Yes, there is going to be a difference between a coupe and a vert. Yes, there will be a difference between MT and AT. BUT, you buy a vert for a reason. If you must have the ABSOLUTE POSITIVE MAXIMUM performance, then you would want the coupe. If you want to drop the top, buy a topless car.

What the point should be is that no matter what, the 135 is a barn-burner. I have the 135cic, and so far, not one single car can beat me. Shelby Mustang, nope. I had one late night "semi-race" with a Gallardo, where we weren't overtly racing, it was just a point of who was in front of the other on city street. His big ass couldn't get through cars, so I could pass easily and he couldn't. He stayed in my rear-view mirror not due to speed or torque, but because he simply couldn't navigate as well as me.

So, for a perfectionist who lives at the track, go get your MT Coupe. For those of us who are happy with losing a teeny tiny touch of performance so that we can get a host of other creature comforts, and love being able to easily "negotiate traffic", I think the balance is better.
I hate people who do that in city traffic....weaving in and out as you describe. I guess I sound old, but thats very dangerous. Hope I'm not out on the same roads as you. Enjoy your car but be safe.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 09:59 PM   #14
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
There will definitely be a difference in handling #1, and on performance #2. You should also factor some other secondary and perhaps seemingly less important things, such as road noise (I personally find the 135i coupe very noisy relative to other cars I've driven over the last few years, probably mostly due to the runflats), compromised rear seating, smaller trunk space. And of course pricing is at a premium (as well as insurance) relative to the coupe, if that matters at all. To me looks matter a lot, I have yet to see a convertible of any car manufacturer (exotics included) that I can legitimately say looks better than its coupe sibling.

You are in NJ, right, so in theory how many days of the yr will you be exposed to 'skin cancer'? If lucky maybe 100. So at the end of the day you should factor in that as well.

If you are a performance and handling purist, coupe is the way to go IMO. There is just no way to battle the increased weight and lack of rigidity on a convertible. When I was buying my RS4 I considered the convertible, but when I test drove the 'vert I felt it was worse than driving a S4 sedan! All the performance and feline quickness and sharpness of handling was gone. Which perhaps explains why so many of the only 200 RS4 verts inported in America are still sitting brand new in dealer lots given the car has been discontinued 9 months ago (granted it doesn't help that sticker is inflated but those are offered with 20K under stick and still collecting dust)!

So it's a tradeoff, only you can weigh in your pros and cons. Either way you go, you will be assured of having fun.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0