BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
startover
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Firestone offers warranty on factory RFT's - Is this a good deal?

My 08 135i at only 4k miles just had a 4 inch crack on the front right tire's sidewall. I don't know exactly how it happened. I guess it somehow got sliced thru some path hole.

I've read all the bad things about RFT's and was planning to replace them with non RFT's when they wear out. However I never expected bad things to happen so soon. I don't really feel comfortable to install a different non matching tire at such an early stage, and the thought of what might happen down the road to my other tires is kind of scary.

So I took the car to a nearby Firestone location and they offered me this: (appearantly such damage on the sidewall is non repairable)

$279 to replace the OE 18" Potenza RFT
$39 for road hazard

Here's the interesting part:

The guy wanted to offer road hazard warranty on all my remaining factory tires even though they were not purchased from their store, at $39 for the remaining front and $47 /each for the rear.

Total with tax and installation and "discount" etc etc comes to $471.

So for $471 I'm getting a new tire and warranty on all four, given that the remaing tires have about 4k miles and 8/32 thread left.

Do you guys think this is a decent deal?

The only other logical choice that I can think of, is to buy a new set of non RFT's for about $800, and then try to sell the used RFT's. But I don't have a garage or a pickup to transport/store these things, it can become a somewhat hassle and I'd really prefer not to do it if possible.

Your opinions will be appreciated.
Appreciate 0