BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-14-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
Ultraflight
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Strang noise coming from rear right tire

Hey guys,
I got this weird grinding noise coming from the rear right tire when i travel at low speed or making a left turn after driven it for about 2-3k miles. So I took the car to the dealership to have them take a look, and the service advisor told me that the noise is due to the uneven wear of the tire. He also told me this is strange because I've only had the car for like 3 months, but asked me to do an alignment check (which is $280 dollars). And if the alignment is within the factory spec, then MAYBE BMW will replace my tire. But if the alignment is off, then they will definitely not replace my tire.

So I was wondering...fine if the alignment was off (maybe because I hit a pothole or something), then I have to cough up the $280 + cost of replacing a tire, tough luck. But if the alignment is within the factory spec, and I still have uneven wear of the tire...then doesn't that mean there is something wrong with the car, not to mention I had to pay $280 for nothing??

So I was wondering if you guys have any inputs or similar experience with this, thanks.

P.S. I have original factory tires, no mods to the car, and do not consider myself to drive aggressively.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 02:20 AM   #2
JME
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Aren't alignments free under the standard maintenance warranty? Also, if the alignment is off so soon it probably came from the factory that way. Even if it didn't there is probably a reason it is off, and that reason is NOT you or your driving. Can you take it to a different dealer for a second opinion. 280 dollars seems like a LOT for a simple alignment that should take 30 minutes. I did an alignment at 8000 miles and it cost me a LOT less than that.

Also, what kind of grinding noise?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 02:48 AM   #3
Ultraflight
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JME View Post
Aren't alignments free under the standard maintenance warranty? Also, if the alignment is off so soon it probably came from the factory that way. Even if it didn't there is probably a reason it is off, and that reason is NOT you or your driving. Can you take it to a different dealer for a second opinion. 280 dollars seems like a LOT for a simple alignment that should take 30 minutes. I did an alignment at 8000 miles and it cost me a LOT less than that.

Also, what kind of grinding noise?
Unfortunately, the alignment is not covered in the standard maintenance warranty as stated in page 2 of the service and warranty information booklet.

I'll try to take it another another dealership and have a second opinion, btw, did you do ur alignment in a BMW dealership?

The grinding noise is kind of hard to describe, but it makes something like "coo coo coo..." noise, and it clearly sounds like it's coming from rotation.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 07:46 AM   #4
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

It must really be off, that sound could be the tires scraping against the pavement. There was another poster a few weeks back who had been rear ended by a delivery tuck, resulting in an out of alignment situation and completly wore his back tires out in 3600 miles. They wore out on the outside edge, the body shop did not check the alignnment after the repair
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 09:30 AM   #5
JME
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraflight View Post
I'll try to take it another another dealership and have a second opinion, btw, did you do ur alignment in a BMW dealership?
I took it to Edge Motorworks in Dublin. Great place, btw. Not the cheapest place in the bay area, but they do good work and it isn't 280 bucks for an alignment.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 09:53 AM   #6
Addict...Nah Im A Junkie!
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, 98 M rdstr

From the sound maybe a dove is stuck in the fender???

But seriously, 280 is a lot for an alignment, the most I've ever paid was 120.
      12-15-2008, 12:19 PM   #7
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict...Nah Im A Junkie! View Post
From the sound maybe a dove is stuck in the fender???

But seriously, 280 is a lot for an alignment, the most I've ever paid was 120.
Yeah, $120 and free alignments for the rest of the life of the car...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2008, 08:37 PM   #8
Ultraflight
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Well, after calling several BMW dealerships in the Bay Area, the price for alignment ranges from $189~$299, and I guess I have to do it in one of those since otherwise they probably would not help me replace that tire....sigh...
Appreciate 0