BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-13-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
turbobum
Family Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: White '09 135i

Do flat fixers work?

For those who have used products to fix a flat, how well did/didn't it work?

There's the BMW and Continental kits (both very expensive - do they work better?), the green slime sludge and fix-a-flat. Did I miss any?

Please refrain from opinions, I know some people would rather have a spare and there are those out there that actually like the run flats. Share your experiences.

I'll start...I've never had a flat so I don't know squat about these products. To me, not getting a flat is the best solution, but not everyone may agree. :thumbup:
      12-13-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
Artmasterx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Garage List
2006 Volvo V70R  [10.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
The good thing about the BMW and Conti kits is that they function as normal air compressors as well, so that you can fill up when you just need air and not sealant.

I have not had a chance to use the flat fixing capabilities of any of them, thankfully.

FORMERLY: 128i coupe
Alpine White | Sports Package | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
GMT II
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: I ride the bus.

The air compressor feature is nice, especially if your local garage charges a fee for air (charge for air, amazing!). I believe the BMW and Conti kit uses a latex based sealant while the green stuff uses something else. The latex is easier to remove from the wheel and tire than the "something else". For $70 or so I got the Conti kit for my winter setup. I think the 135i is a terrific value but any upsale product from BMW is a total ripoff. There is no way on earth the mobility kit is worth $100+.

6MT / ZPP / ZSP / Nav / Prem. Hi-Fi / Sirius / CA / Heated Seats (you keep the ski bag) / Park Dist. / HD Radio (because it was free)
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 10:58 PM   #4
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

I got the Conti kit also for the same reason. It's a quality kit that fits neatly in the right side of the trunk where the net holds it in place.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 06:59 AM   #5
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

You never had a flat? :iono: Either you are really young or extremely lucky. I get at least one flat a year. Or at least find a nail in the tire I have to deal with.

I have the older BMW Mobility kit with the air compressor and fix a flat all in one unit. Like Artmasterx mentioned you can use the air or the sealant. I have never used the sealant but have used the air compressor to get home when I came out and found my tire flat. Instead of waiting for BMW Assist I just filled up the tire and went to a tire repair shop to get it fixed. I would try to avoid the sealant if I could, it may damage the TPMS.
      12-14-2008, 08:42 AM   #6
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

A question, if you use a sealant which I assume fills the hole from the inside and then go to a tire shop to do a repair on the tire(patch) will they be able to remove the sealant thing ? or would the tire be ruin after you use the sealant?
      12-14-2008, 08:53 AM   #7
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by adood84 View Post
A question, if you use a sealant which I assume fills the hole from the inside and then go to a tire shop to do a repair on the tire(patch) will they be able to remove the sealant thing ? or would the tire be ruin after you use the sealant?

It wouldn't be ruined, but they can't remove it. It coats the inside of the whole tire.

The sealant works, but you should avoid it on modern cars with TPMSs. It cloggs the pressure sensor and it will have to be replaced. The stuff also makes a mess and the rim will have to b cleaned when the tire is replaced.

I carry tire plugs and a small compressor.

The good thing about the TPMS is that it will give you advanced warning before you actually blow a tire out. In my experience it's nearly always possible to plug a tire at least well enough to get to a tire shop, and usually it fixes it completely. :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 10:09 AM   #8
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Tire plugs FTW.

I have used Fix a Flat on older cars I've owned and had good experience with it.....however these vehicles did not have TPMS sensors.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #9
WeekendWarrior
I'm not as dumb as you look.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

i used it. it works.
      12-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #10
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

I had to use fix a flat on the way home from Oklahoma. It claims that it is tire sensor safe, but i was skeptical. It actually works as described and my sensor still works after putting it in a couple weeks ago.It sealed the tire completely as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 10:08 PM   #11
turbobum
Family Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: White '09 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
It wouldn't be ruined, but they can't remove it. It coats the inside of the whole tire.

The sealant works, but you should avoid it on modern cars with TPMSs. It cloggs the pressure sensor and it will have to be replaced. The stuff also makes a mess and the rim will have to b cleaned when the tire is replaced.

I carry tire plugs and a small compressor.

The good thing about the TPMS is that it will give you advanced warning before you actually blow a tire out. In my experience it's nearly always possible to plug a tire at least well enough to get to a tire shop, and usually it fixes it completely. :w00t:
I thought about bringing a plug kit; they're not expensive. However, you have to make the hole BIGGER to insert the plug.

Can the hole be repaired after the inside of the tire has been coated in goop? Also, all this sludge in the tire throws off the balance of the wheel.

I'm just hoping to temp fix the tire until it can be properly fixed, off the rim at a tire store.
      12-31-2008, 08:52 PM   #12
4wheelcycle
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2018 X2 M Sport

When I switched to non-run-flat Blizzak WS 60s for the winter I bought a can of Slime and also Slime's Heavy Duty Tire Inflator (Comp 06), which costs about $51 at Amazon with free shipping. I also bought a set of tire patch plugs, so I'm covered three ways.

If I ever get a flat, I hope it will just be a nail with a slow leak, so I can pump the tire up and get home, then to a repair shop.

Slime says their product is water soluble and can be washed out completely, with no damage to TPMS sensors.

Having an inflator on board to pump up slow leaks is especially important with RFTs. If you get to a repair shop without running on a completely flat tire they can be repaired like any other tire, but once you run on a completely flat RFT I'm told repair shops will not repair them for fear the sidewall may have been permanently weakened.
Appreciate 0