BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-03-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
135i_jaijai
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i Cabrio LeMans Blue

TPMS???

I just picked up my 135i cabriolet last night, 2008 M sport package (rims 261M)
I had been searched on this forum and don't understand, if I want to change my rims, do I need to put on TPMS?
If I have to put it on my car, which one is the most affordable and good? Also, what if I don't put it on, and what will happen?

Please help me out here, my boyfriend is not willing to help me out, and I just want to show that I can do it myself!

Thank you~!!

08 E88 135i Cabriolet/Le Mans Blue/black boston leather/M sport package/Premium Package/Wind Deflector/6spd /Riss Racing Exhaust/BMC DCI/tinted head light/custom color grill/H&R race/koni yellow/z shift BOV/sebron OEM CF hood/19" SF-71
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2008, 08:35 PM   #2
SoCalTech
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW yet...

You either need to purchase new sensors, or swap the ones from your current rims. If you do not, you will have the tire pressure warning on non-stop, and will not know if you get a puncture in the tire.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2008, 11:06 PM   #3
guyp
Rep
Drives:

i see that you are from Vancouver.
2008 Canadians 135i don't have TPMS. so don't worry for sensors.
my canadian 135i dash light work's with wheel rotation sensors.
detailed posts are in this Forum.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 12:38 AM   #4
mbrunner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911/Lotus Exige S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTech View Post
You either need to purchase new sensors, or swap the ones from your current rims. If you do not, you will have the tire pressure warning on non-stop, and will not know if you get a puncture in the tire.

To be honest, TPMS is worthless...

I think you will know if you get a puncture in the tire
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrunner View Post

I think you will know if you get a puncture in the tire

Really? You think you'll know if you get a puncture in a RUN FLAT tire that doesn't compress even with no air in it? :iono:

TPMS is one of the best safety systems on a modern car. It's inexpensive and works very well.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 11:08 AM   #6
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Really? You think you'll know if you get a puncture in a RUN FLAT tire that doesn't compress even with no air in it? :iono:

TPMS is one of the best safety systems on a modern car. It's inexpensive and works very well.
And it has been required by law on all new cars sold in the U.S. since Sept., 2007.

But it would be nice to have an inflation dash readout for those cars which have individual tire monitors.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 12:02 PM   #7
mbrunner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Again, to me, it is a POINTLESS feature

Sure I will know there is a puncture in my run flat tire, eventually. I would never drive a car with run flats anyway. As soon as I take delivery of my 1 next year they are going in the trash or on the web (get some money out of it)...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 12:16 PM   #8
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

TPMS is not pointless, I have to disagree with you totally.

It is like airbags, they do nothing till you have a problem. So if you think that airbags are worthless you are right! They are a total waste of money...

That is till you get in an accident, then they are the most important thing in the world!

TPMS can be the same way.

Maybe just maybe you get a slow leak. You start the car, it tells you bad tire. You right away check and you see a tire is low. You find out it has a nail in it. So you do not get on the highway. You do not get into an accident! So again TPMS is totally worthless. But that day it lets you know you have a low tire, it becomes your most valued feature.

BTW TPMS (sensor) we do not have in Canada... But we have TPMS (system)

This is a method that does not require a $40-$50 electronic gadget in your tire. It uses an external method to see if the tire is low on air.

I would think logically the sensor method would be more accurate but I have not read anywhere that this is true. Obviously the external method is more simple, so I assume it is the more superior. Anyway

Bottom line is... in Canada we can see in the car we have tire measurements in the dashboard and we do not order "TPMS" from Tirerack as it is not used. So why order it?

Gill @ tirerack told me he prefers our method. And if I am not mistaken, the rest of the world uses our method, here in Canada, only USA again has to be special! LOL

Anyone know wrong please let me know and I will change this.

Oh a quick way to know if you have the gadget is to see if the plug in the tire is metal. On my tires only the cap is metal, not the stem. Metal is an easy way to check.

So I am told anyway...

EspressoBoy

Hope that clears up stuff... btw this has also been talked about a whole bunch before, and your search is your best friend here!
      12-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

All US models come with TPMS nowadays. For Canadian models they use FTM (flat tire monitoring system) which uses the ABS sensors. The thing with TPMS is that it will not tell you if all your tires are loosing air at the same pace.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 03:09 PM   #10
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Again, to me, it is a POINTLESS feature

Sure I will know there is a puncture in my run flat tire, eventually. I would never drive a car with run flats anyway. As soon as I take delivery of my 1 next year they are going in the trash or on the web (get some money out of it)...

You'll know a runflat is underinflated when it blows out.

TPMS is usefull even on cars without runflats. I've had two blowouts over the years that would have been completely prevented if the car had TPMS. If you pick up a nail on a road trip in a low profile tire, the first indication that there's a problem is usually when it comes apart.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 01:05 PM   #11
135i_jaijai
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 135i Cabrio LeMans Blue

thank you so much for all the help.

So i'll take it as a NO need TPMS for my 135i

thank you all :smile:

08 E88 135i Cabriolet/Le Mans Blue/black boston leather/M sport package/Premium Package/Wind Deflector/6spd /Riss Racing Exhaust/BMC DCI/tinted head light/custom color grill/H&R race/koni yellow/z shift BOV/sebron OEM CF hood/19" SF-71
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 01:45 PM   #12
turbobum
Family Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: White '09 135i

Quote:

Agreed. If it at least displayed what the pressure is in each tire (like common/basic GM cars do) then it would be a neat and convenient option.
      12-05-2008, 03:14 PM   #13
instantexpert
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Quote:
You'll know a runflat is underinflated when it blows out.

TPMS is usefull even on cars without runflats. I've had two blowouts over the years that would have been completely prevented if the car had TPMS. If you pick up a nail on a road trip in a low profile tire, the first indication that there's a problem is usually when it comes apart.
Absolutely agreed, I lost several tires like this on my old 330i (I had a bad year with Chicago roads). The sidewalls are so short that you have to have some other indication (noise, smell, handling) that something is wrong and, by then, it is too late for the tire.
      12-05-2008, 03:15 PM   #14
instantexpert
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobum View Post
Agreed. If it at least displayed what the pressure is in each tire (like common/basic GM cars do) then it would be a neat and convenient option.
I think it is almost criminal to not provide tire pressure. The information has to be there so why not display it. Especially on the idrive system where they've got a fancy graphic with green wheels perfect for displaying pressure numbers on.
      12-06-2008, 12:32 PM   #15
mbrunner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yup, if a Chevy Cobalt can show the tire pressure, why can't every car? I do not have the TPMS sensors on my current car for my winter wheels and honestly, I am glad. They seem to trigger when the pressure drops below 32psi, at least in my Subaru, and at that pressure I will catch it at my next fill at the pump.

I didn't say that you had to agree with me, but the sensors most cars get and the information is not dispalyed is all together pointless.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2008, 07:48 PM   #16
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny@JleviSW View Post
All US models come with TPMS nowadays. For Canadian models they use FTM (flat tire monitoring system) which uses the ABS sensors. The thing with TPMS is that it will not tell you if all your tires are loosing air at the same pace.
I hate TPMS and I am a safety guy that likes DSC ABS air bags and all the stuff that keeps me safe but TPMS is crap compared to FTM. My last two BMW’s had FTM and I had a few flats that the system warned me of the flat. My 2005 Tacoma had TPMS and the truck went to the dealer for TPMS issues six times and they could not fix it. I filed under the lemon law and have a 2006 Tacoma which was due to TPMS. TPMS has too much hardware when the ABS system can do it. With the FTM you can switch wheels and not worry about sensors. It’s the NTSB that mandates sensors in the wheels. More government in our way due to the Ford Explorer/Firestone rollover class action years ago.
      12-06-2008, 08:09 PM   #17
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBMW View Post
I hate TPMS and I am a safety guy that likes DSC ABS air bags and all the stuff that keeps me safe but TPMS is crap compared to FTM. My last two BMW’s had FTM and I had a few flats that the system warned me of the flat. My 2005 Tacoma had TPMS and the truck went to the dealer for TPMS issues six times and they could not fix it. I filed under the lemon law and have a 2006 Tacoma which was due to TPMS. TPMS has too much hardware when the ABS system can do it. With the FTM you can switch wheels and not worry about sensors. It’s the NTSB that mandates sensors in the wheels. More government in our way due to the Ford Explorer/Firestone rollover class action years ago.

The NTSB does't mandate the method of detection, only the detection limit. I think the system has to have enough resolution to detect a 10% drop in air pressure, and in most situations the ABS sensors can't reliably pick up differences in rotation that small. On top of that, it won't work at all with run-flat tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 01:02 AM   #18
turbobum
Family Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: White '09 135i

So what happen's if I use a can of fix-a-flat (as a get-me-home) with the TPMS? Will it mess up the sensor?

I'm planning on ditching the run-flats for some real tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 02:33 AM   #19
fmxomar
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

Quote:
So what happen's if I use a can of fix-a-flat (as a get-me-home) with the TPMS? Will it mess up the sensor?

I'm planning on ditching the run-flats for some real tires.

no, it will not ruin the sensor, most companies that make the fix-a-flats such as Slime, are now designed in a manner where it will not mess up the sensors
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 08:51 PM   #20
Smac355
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

can i take the TPMS sensors off my OEM wheels and put them on an aftermarket pair of rims/tires?
Black Sapphire Metallic 135i/Coral Leather Interior/ Gloss Black Grills/20% tint/M door sills/Black 135i badge, smoked LED side marker, Dinan stage II , DINAN Exhaust, performance side skirts, performance shift boot/e-brake, pedals, carbon fiber wrapped interior
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 09:29 PM   #21
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmxomar View Post
no, it will not ruin the sensor, most companies that make the fix-a-flats such as Slime, are now designed in a manner where it will not mess up the sensors

Where is this information coming from? I can't see any way possible they couldn't damage the sensors. The sensing hole in the TPMS sensor is smaller than most holes these sealants are designed to fix. It's bound to clogg it up.

I wouldn't put any of those sealants in a tire with TPMS sensors in it. Carrying a plug kit seems like a much better idea to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2009, 09:30 PM   #22
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smac355 View Post
can i take the TPMS sensors off my OEM wheels and put them on an aftermarket pair of rims/tires?

In most cases you can, but sometimes there are clearance issues. Tire Rack is probably a good source for specific wheel info. :thumbup:
Appreciate 0