BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-23-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: women crazy

New to Haggling Some Tips PLEASE!

Well I bought my first car from Toyota in August 2001...I was young and did not know the importance of "haggling"

I dealt with Al Hendrickson Motors in Coral Springs, and they left a very sour taste in my mouth...I drove away in a 2001 automatic GT Celica for 24K. They are complete scam artists considering i found out later the invoice on the car was around 17K.

----

Well I am ready to buy either a 1) 128i with Aero Kit & Sports Package (the only 2 options I will add from the standard 128) Or a 2) 135i with no added options, just standard.

I was wondering how much I should offer the dealers? for either of these cars (1) or (2)...I live in Florida...

I have no problem haggling, I have learned to be very persuasive after business and law school, so please give me an idea on the absolute best price i can hope to achieve....i dont mind wasting 8 hours and multiple days screwing with a salesman's head.

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
Addict...Nah Im A Junkie!
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, 98 M rdstr

Just email a couple of different dealers. Tell them exactly what you want and how much you are willing to pay. See who bites. If that doesn't work you can expand your search to a larger radius. Everyone wants to sell cars right now. Might not want to approve you for a loan though.
      11-23-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep

I dont know how much im willing to pay...thats what i want to know...

Not worried about a loan, im paying it in full/cash...thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #4
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

DVDA, I would use the search. The site is loaded with stuff! Loaded to the hilt.

If you are buying off the floor, and find a 08 you are in for major discounts. If it's an 09 it much depends on where you live, and your skills. I also get the feeling that those that do haggle and get amazing prices tend to get put aside on their orders if others come along and do not haggle.

With the world economy in the state it's in right now, I would take full advantage of it! BMW is pushing their cars big time!

EspressoBoy
      11-23-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep

i did some searches i found a the price for a Euro Delievery Whosale for a 135i @ 30K, so should i offer the dealership 30K and be done with it?...this is what i need assistance on...new to reading these invoices and haggling
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 08:18 PM   #6
lamini
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

insist on 5% off MSRP anything higher thatn that will be difficult.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 08:25 PM   #7
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep

So the "Confidental Wholesale" pdf is used for what?...to see the lowest the dealership would possibly go?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 08:39 PM   #8
morgie2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i convertible

First go here:
2009 BMWUSA 1series-Wholesale & ED pricing.PDF

Then follow this:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6720
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 09:04 PM   #9
DVDA
Major
United_States
Rep

Sounds good, so if i want a base (no added features) 135i, i offer them 32,750 (Whole Sale Price) + 825 (destination) 500 to 1,000 (dealer profit) and keep my fingers crossed....

Right? lol
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 10:25 PM   #10
Alow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i, F36 430i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDA View Post
Sounds good, so if i want a base (no added features) 135i, i offer them 32,750 (Whole Sale Price) + 825 (destination) 500 to 1,000 (dealer profit) and keep my fingers crossed....

Right? lol
Sounds like you are in the right track. The only other important thing you should have (in my opinion) is a cold demeanor. You need to convince yourself that you either get your price or you walk out. Simple as that. The salesperson *NEEDS* to see that. If you come really enthusiastic about the car and the salesman thinks you are already emotionally attached to it you might give him reason to not want to deal.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 10:57 PM   #11
Matt60158
///M
Rep
Drives:

All this is good advice. Stay organized and show them you know what your doing.

Once you find the dealer, be able to walk in with spreadsheets of exactly what you want with a respective pricing.
      11-24-2008, 02:09 AM   #12
Chewyjr15
1 addict and proud!
Rep
Drives: jb 135 on order

know what you want. I went to 4 dealers told them what i wanted and what i was willing to pay. In my case i wanted:
jet black
coral red
sports package
idrive
bmw assist
premium hifi
usb ipod

it was like 39000 something invoice pricing
i offered 40500
first three told me to get lost and offered me 500 under sticker, last dealer countered 41000 and i took the deal. So you have to know what you want and what you are willing to pay. It seems that the dealers don't care if your paying cash because i am and the first three still wouldn't budge. I made a spread sheet using invoice pricing to show them i knew what the markup was.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 06:34 AM   #13
morgie2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDA View Post

Right? lol
Yes, and the internet is your friend. Send your offer to multiple dealers and wait for them. There should be very little haggling. I didn't walk into the dealership to talk $$ until after they accepted the deal. Takes ALOT of the stress out of it. You should get between 500- 1000 over invoice, especially in this economy. You may want to think about the Sport Package. The seats are fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 06:54 AM   #14
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

Also everyone who got deals had to either pound the pavement (visit many dealerships) or email/fax and wait. And remember when you do get a discount deal, it's also very possible if others come along who pay full price, and they only have say 4 allotments for a 135i/128i, that month, you could get bumped to the next month. Even those who pay full sticker at some dealerships ended up getting bumped with no reason given. This is what most of us went through last summer. Now that the car is not that new, your experience could be very different. My guess the dealerships will try and treat you as though it is, yet it's not. Again part of the lie game.

All of this dealings I hate. I also hate CA's that lie! When they lie, it's like dealing with a devil. I just wish it was possible to just pay an already understood full discount price. If you are a member of Costco they have, http://www.costcoauto.com. And I think there are a few other sites that give you some good car info, but some you are supposed to pay.

EspressoBoy
      11-25-2008, 12:34 PM   #15
j128i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 128i Coupe AW/Black

Note, for ED, you start from ED invoice and add up from there.

Serarcing the web, this one and bimmerfest and others, find some questions with answers and ask the same to CA to gauge his knowledge and hornesty. You have law/business degree, so collect info and summary is your strong point, right?
Also ask ED questions if you still want to do ED. One positive thing is CA talk to you about ED first. Change to another one if the CA has not done ED before.

Make sure he has the slot when you order. Personally I dont want to wait for a month to get a Production Number to avoid some uncertain problems in future. Send CA e-mails or make calls and check the response, should be replyed in hours or same day or next day with useful and helpful info.
My experience is to have a good/useful CA for you (for the same CA, some customers give good words and recommand to others, some dont, it depends) is quite important unless you are an expert yourself.