BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

02-25-2008, 04:16 AM   #1
GTS Jeff
I wanna be a douchebag
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335xi Saloon

The Douchebag stigma of BMWs

I'm considering the 135 right now, but I've got to say, one of the things holding me back is the image associated with owning a BMW. Let's face it, BMW owners are known amongst the car community for being douchebags (or cocks, as Top Gear presenters like to say) and I can see why. If it isn't chachi slickheads cruising around in their E46 M3s, it's arrogant little teenagers excited that E36 318s are finally affordable to them.

So for those of you who know exactly what I'm talking about, what's your take on owning a Bimmer and having to deal with the negative connotations?

BTW, I'm not a hater, I'm actually really excited about the 1ers coming in and all the Sedona Red pics are making me die of suspense.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 04:20 AM   #2
semaj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i N54

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
So what if there are negative connotations? What matters is what you think about the car, or to put it in another sense, your life (style). You create the meaning to your possessions, what makes you happy, your self image, your desires.

Ask yourself, "Why do I care what others think about me?" And even more importantly, "Why does it matter?"
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 05:11 AM   #3
imported_Dodgy
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: SG 135i 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by semaj View Post
So what if there are negative connotations? What matters is what you think about the car, or to put it in another sense, your life (style). You create the meaning to your possessions, what makes you happy, your self image, your desires.

Ask yourself, "Why do I care what others think about me?" And even more importantly, "Why does it matter?"
Ditto. Why do you give a flying fire truck what other people think?

Assess the car on its worth and make your own decision.

Your take on BMW owners really must be a local geographical thing. You can't tell me that European BM drivers, or Australian ones for that matter, are anything like what you described.
      02-25-2008, 05:12 AM   #4
Chop79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Drive what makes you happy.
      02-25-2008, 05:29 AM   #5
pumaknight
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Currently Seat Leon Cupra FR

The "BMW Cock" driver is a rarer breed these days in the UK. 5 years ago, nothing could be truer (:smile, but now, their mass appear is breaking down those stereo types.

So my advice is go buy one and erode the "Cock" ration even further - unless you are one of coures.:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 05:31 AM   #6
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
Help change the image.

I know what you are talking about. But why does that image exist?
Drive properly, don't drive like an ass and we should all help in changing that negative image. ONLY BMW drivers can make the change happen.

And keep in mind that there are negative images (deserved or not) for many other vehicles, not just BMWs. People tend to have an attitude about drivers of vehicles that they themselves are not associated with.

Pick-up Trucks...Ricers...SUVs...Motorcycles....Vipers...e tc. You see what I'm getting at.

:respekt:

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 05:36 AM   #7
WhiteOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

Its hard to be humble when you are driving such a fine machine. I can't wait to try this being humble thing though. Can you smile humbly???
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 06:18 AM   #8
C_Topher
Señor Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

It may be true there is a subset of douchebag BMW owners, as with many other high-end brands. Within BMW owners there is also a community of thoughtful and dedicated drivers intent on practicing their skills in a supportive and positive environment, as you can see here on these forums. I suggest reading the BMWCCA Roundel.

Another example lies within the BMWMOA (BMW Motorcycle Owners of America), who still publishes the "Owners Anonymous", a book of members is every city in every state who have volunteered to provide tools, a garage, a bed, or assistance to a traveling BMW motorcyclist in a time of need. No names, just phone numbers, thus "anonymous".

I used to think the same thing about Ferrari drivers - "there is no way you can appreciate that car fully". They have some of the most dedicated drivers around.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 06:36 AM   #9
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Unfortunately too many people still drive BMWs, Porsches, etc for the status. These are the people who ruined it.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 07:11 AM   #10
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS Jeff View Post
I'm considering the 135 right now, but I've got to say, one of the things holding me back is the image associated with owning a BMW. ..............
I wondered about the same thing when I bought my car....
After the test drive, I didn't give it a second thought, because I knew it was the car for me & nothing else really mattered.

Since that time, it has never been a problem.
I think a big part is how YOU behave behind the wheel.
If you're courteous, people around you will respect that.
If you want to weave in & out of traffic... you'll get the finger for sure.

Right now in Toronto, I think more people are ticked off at the Fast & Furious type than BMW owners.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 07:31 AM   #11
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

Drive what you want. It's your money. Quit worrying about what other people think. You will have a better life all the way around.

jm2c
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 07:56 AM   #12
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by semaj View Post

lol .. I'll tell you why .. guy accross the street has 2 mercedes and 1 bmw .. anytime anything breaks at his house or he has to have work done ... people basically expect that he can pay through the roof to get things fixed. They think .. he must be loaded .. lets take him for a ride ...

He goes though a lot of things like that before he finds someone who isn't willing to screw him ..

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 08:02 AM   #13
Jack in Jax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pearson 424 Ketch

GTS Jeff:

Along with ditto'ing the sound advice that you should make your own call on your brand choice - you really should - I'd suggest you look at ownership thru a different lens than web boards and the general banter of your social & work groups.

I'm shopping right now, never owned a BMW before (tho' I love how they drive; latest sample is a '07 Z4 3.0Si), there are a number of roughly comparable choices, and I've been looking at these brands thru the lens of 'What comes after the purchase...?' In my case, I'd like some initial, professional coaching that will allow me to use most of my car's potential (but not toooo much). BMW offers that in South Carolina and also on the road out West periodically, with their Performance Driving School. I'd like a 'third party' Ombudsman available to me, should my expensive car disappoint in some major mechanical way. BMW CCA offers that. I'd like to find ongoing clinics, drive schools and off-track events which are fun but also skill-building, because I enjoy car competence. My local FSCBMWCCA chapter offers that, and the really impressive, regional, week-long CCA events offer this in spades. And I value sources of technical and operational knowledge which prep me for possible mechanical issues and insure better care for my car...and the on-line Forums, Tech Talk, surprisingly objective articles in Roundel and other CCA-sponsored services deliver this.

So far, when visiting other brand support forums and web sites, I'm struck by how shallow those brands really are, beyond the retailers and mfgr-sponsored websites with their thin threads. Bottom line: My impression to date is that buying a BMW is buying into a widely, diversely supported brand and its many facets of ownership, not just a technically impressive piece of machinery. So my advice is to look beyond your purchase, even after you drive the cars and form your initial impressions of them.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 08:24 AM   #14
Chop79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
^^^^ Well said!
      02-25-2008, 08:32 AM   #15
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

All car brands have some kind of stigma, after all people are the buyers.

Performance attract "douchebags", that BMW main focus is performance is incidental. Be at the local gym, at baseball or football games, you will find plenty of "douchebags".

Now, if you ask me what car is for me the essential "douchebag" mobile, I have to say that it is the damn Escalade. For every BMW driver that you can think of that is a "douchebag" there's at least three Escalade drivers that can beat them up while rolling on 24"s...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 08:35 AM   #16
128er
Captain
Rep
Drives:

If you really wanted the car...you wouldn't worry about things like that
-Steptronic
-Premium Sound
-Xenons

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 08:41 AM   #17
yak52pilot
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
All car brands have some kind of stigma, after all people are the buyers.

Performance attract "douchebags", that BMW main focus is performance is incidental. Be at the local gym, at baseball or football games, you will find plenty of "douchebags".

Now, if you ask me what car is for me the essential "douchebag" mobile, I have to say that it is the damn Escalade. For every BMW driver that you can think of that is a "douchebag" there's at least three Escalade drivers that can beat them up while rolling on 24"s...
Thats true though. Other drivers treat you differently just because you are in a bimmer. I found this out after getting a Z4.
Now i drive ExigeS and the amount of attention is just staggering. In a good way.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 08:53 AM   #18
UR2SLOW1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

This stigma definately will not keep me from the 135i however I'm still self-conscious when I tell people who ask that it's a BMW. I've found people see BMW on the same level as Porsche or is it Porsch-AH (LOL) ? Nevertheless, I'll never let society dictate what I drive because I always buy the car for my own enjoyment.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 08:56 AM   #19
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS Jeff View Post
If it isn't chachi slickheads cruising around in their E46 M3s, it's arrogant little teenagers excited that E36 318s are finally affordable to them.
Ya sure... that sounds like a typical BMW owner to me... I've never seen a successful, upstanding BMW driver in my life...

No offence to you, Jeff, but when people spend too much time worrying about what other people look like, they need to take a step back and find some self confidence and be their own person. Not only do I disagree with your very narrow view of BMW owners, but I feel sorry for people that feel the need to judge people based on what they drive.

I'd get a kick out of hearing what people think about Corvette drivers, or Ferrari drivers or Mercedes drivers. The reason people drive BMWs, Corvettes, Mercedes and other great cars are because they are GREAT cars. The reasons people have for driving them are completely there own and is none of my business.

It's the people that don't care about the car they drive that I have trouble identifying with, but to each his own....
      02-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #20
sugeray
Rep
Drives:

I drive a Porsche because of its sweet handling, styling and driving excitement, and I suspect a number of you are buying the 135i for similar reasons. The problem is that the majority of Porsche, BMW and AMG buyers are simply buying the cache of owning these great cars. I am old enough to remember when drivers of performance cars would flash their headlights at each other when passing anyone driving the same make/model. It really makes no difference what others think. Just drive the car of your dreams and let those who have the negative thoughts worry themselves silly. You know why you bought your car.

By the way, it is PORSCH-AH. :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 09:44 AM   #21
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

I'm coming from driving a vette, and I had to live with a different stigma.
If you have gray hair, you're having a midlife crisis.
If you're younger, you're "compensating" for something.

So I'm looking forward to moving away from that, and into the yuppie douchebag stigma.
Actually, the 1-series will probably be associated with "wannabe douchebags who couldn't afford a 3-series".

WHO CARES! The 135i is set to be the most fun car BMW makes (even counting the new M-series). Kind of like a more grown-up Mini Cooper, although I'd love to have one of those too!
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 09:50 AM   #22
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by e34m5 View Post
Unfortunately too many people still drive BMWs, Porsches, etc for the status. These are the people who ruined it.

Fortunately, the 1-series is probably too small to be useful for the "status" crowd. I think most 1-owners will be buying the car for what it is supposed to be.

The "status" folks will pick up the used 3-series and 5-series, spending more $$$ on car payments than they do on rent, and then drive like maniacs.
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread