BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-07-2008, 11:23 AM   #1
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I also had my first drive in the 135i today

Hi all addicts,

I also had the privilege of test driving the 135i in South Africa today. It is the same one that has been reported on by some other South Africans, but I thought I would add my 2c worth.

First Impressions - OMF :eyebulge:, WOW :eyebulge:FTW .

I was speechless and will have a permanent grin on my face for the next few weeks. BMW should get you to sign an indemnity before letting anyone loose in the car and after driving it, the next 2 months until my car arrives in early April are going to be so much longer than they ever seemed this morning. It should also carry a warning sticker - "WARNING - May lead to serious Addiction" and as my fellow South African said, once you have driven it you had better have your finances in order as it is a must have.

I found the acceleration to be absolutely mind-blowing, and coming from my 320d (which although not a performance car in any way, is certainly no slouch off the line either) and as for that sound from the engine - words just can not describe - it is certainly more "animalistic" than the 335. For those of you out there worried about what the car audio systems are like, my response is "who cares", as I don't think I will even switch the system on for a long long time. Who needs radio, ipod, mp3's, cd's etc with that awesome soundtrack on repeat the whole time. As the others have mentioned, the car pulls phenomenally from anywhere in the powerband and will make this an absolute pleasure on the open road.

The steering was very nicely weighted and feels a lot more precise than my 320d. I was not able to really try out the electronic nannies, as I was stuck in the Sandton (large business area which was originally designed as residential) lunch time traffic, but I managed to pull a few nice launches from some of the traffic lights and a few rolling bursts along some of the more desserted back roads. (I did not get time to take it onto the highway though.)

I found the brakes to be exceptional and I did not experience the "grabbiness" as described by others. The gear changes were nice and positive and although I was a little jerky on a few of the changes (after driving auto for the last 2 years) the response was nice and smooth.

The ride comfort was very surprising to me. I do not have sports suspension on my 320d, and although it does also have RFT's, the ride comfort on the 135 felt as good as, if not better. As mentioned by Michael N in his "SA review", SA roads certainly leave a lot to be desired and I went over some fairly rough patches very comfortably with my kidneys and false teeth still firmly in position :biggrin:.

The car was equipped with the basics (as standard in SA) with only the addition of the sunroof, xenons and powerseats - perhaps what they call the Exclusive Package here in SA), but no sports pack. The sports seats were very supportive.

The car was a 6 speed manual and there, most definately, was the oil-cooler in the front wheel well again. The boot is really surprisingly big and appears almost as deep and only slightly narrower than in my e90 3, but with the fold down seats, will be way more versitile.

What am I going to do now to get through the next 7 - 8 weeks, I may have to take up bungy-jumping or sky-diving or something like that to keep the adrenalin levels up until April.
"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
Templedogg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, Trailblazer SS, 1934 PU

Another Great review, thanks for checking on the oil-cooler.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
Road Runner
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

NIce review, thanks very much.

I know what you mean about the wait feeling longer and longer, I went to the new BMW facility here and sat in a new Montego Blue 335, after that the days can't go by quick enough.
      02-07-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
Twisted
TwistedHouse
Rep
Drives:

Thanks SA135i

How did the build plastics feel inside a car compared to the normal 1er (if you've driven a 1er hatch before)

I'm glad you mentioned ride "harshness" as the 1er hatch in my opinion (especially on SA roads) feels a lot more harsh than a planted 3er. So im glad when you say the 1er coupe was just as good if not better?

It comes with the pack standard (sports "aerodynamics pack") I'm assuming the msport steering would be a bit thicker than the standard one in the 135i though. (The one i was in felt thick and sturdy and that had a mpack on)

Thanks for the review though.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 10:45 PM   #5
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted View Post
Thanks SA135i

How did the build plastics feel inside a car compared to the normal 1er (if you've driven a 1er hatch before)

I'm glad you mentioned ride "harshness" as the 1er hatch in my opinion (especially on SA roads) feels a lot more harsh than a planted 3er. So im glad when you say the 1er coupe was just as good if not better?

It comes with the pack standard (sports "aerodynamics pack") I'm assuming the msport steering would be a bit thicker than the standard one in the 135i though. (The one i was in felt thick and sturdy and that had a mpack on)

Thanks for the review though.
Hi Twisted,

Believe me it definately was my pleasure doing the test drive. I have not been inside any other 1er, so I can't comment on the quality of the plastics in the coupe as compared to the hatch. The quality however seemed pretty much on par with the 3.

I must admit I was expecting the ride to be a lot harsher, knowing that it was the sports suspension, low profile RFT's etc, but the ride was nowhere near what I had expected, i.e. it was a lot smoother than I was anticipating.

The sales lady said that the sport pack gets a different front aero treatment, but I don't think that is correct as it looked pretty much standard to what I have seen in other posts as the m-aero kit is standard on the 135. The steering wheel was the standard thinner type and is simialr to the one I have in my 3 series. I have felt the sports steering wheel (there was a 135 on show at the MPH show over the weekend) and it is much thicker and has a more "spongy" feel to it. The 335i that I test drove, also had the same steering wheel and it really feels way better than the standard wheel.

Now 56 days and counting.....
"But don't be surprised if you completely forget about your passengers when driving this car. You will be mesmerised by the feel of the fat, well-weighted steering wheel in your hands, the sound from the specially tuned exhaust, and the in-gear acceleration that will have you grinning like a loon...." TopCar magazine (SA)
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 04:38 AM   #6
pumaknight
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Currently Seat Leon Cupra FR

Nice review - you have given me my daily fix of 135 :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 06:17 AM   #7
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Thanks for the great review SA135i. Excellent. Love your description of the music the engine makes.

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 06:47 AM   #8
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Nice review SA! Thanks heaps. 100 days to go for us Aussies!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 07:11 AM   #9
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

To my fellow Southern Hemisphere addicts - d3syd and WAY, it was a pleasure. Glad you enjoyed the review, because I know I certainly enjoyed the test drive. I wish I could go for a test every day, but somehow I don't think the dealer will fall for this, especially as my dealer does not think they will get a demo model in anytime soon as they claim that all their orders are going straight out the door to clients.

Pumaknight, glad I could provide a fix to you addiction, is that the way you are getting through the long wait - by getting daily updates on the test drives. I will have to try the same tactic as going "cold turkey" will be hell.

PS! I have just driven past a 135i in Sedona Red on the road here (and my wife saw it in the area last night), so it looks like I will have a twin in the area.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 07:21 AM   #10
pumaknight
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Currently Seat Leon Cupra FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA135i View Post
Pumaknight, glad I could provide a fix to you addiction, is that the way you are getting through the long wait - by getting daily updates on the test drives. I will have to try the same tactic as going "cold turkey" will be hell.
Got it in one :biggrin:.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 07:31 AM   #11
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

SA135i, thanks much for the driving impressions. Those of you who have access to these cars are making it a bit easier for the rest of us!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 07:37 AM   #12
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
SA135i, thanks much for the driving impressions. Those of you who have access to these cars are making it a bit easier for the rest of us!
Yeah, but now I need someone else to help me pass the time. The next 2 months are going to seem like an eternity, and like pumaknight I will also need my daily fix to make it through.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 08:30 AM   #13
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Crack dealers always let you have the first taste for free. :wink:
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 08:41 AM   #14
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
      02-08-2008, 08:54 AM   #15
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Crack dealers always let you have the first taste for free. :wink:
If I can live through a 1Addiction, who needs crack - it would be a let down LOL :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 09:08 AM   #16
edge350
Junior Cheeseburger
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the great post! Think it's going to be one of those pieces I read again periodically, like Jeremy Clarkson's review and the Automobile magazine review...
...gotta pass the time somehow... 8)

Crimson Red/Terra 135i, delivered 4/19/08, traded in 9/8/08. Recovering addict, still a fan.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 10:44 AM   #17
SA135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge350 View Post
Thanks for the great post! Think it's going to be one of those pieces I read again periodically, like Jeremy Clarkson's review and the Automobile magazine review...
...gotta pass the time somehow... 8)
Why thank you edge, I believe you just compared me to Jeremy Clarkson....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus
Magnificent larryn, ponder this:

Delve that idea a little longer and one might come up thinking we all might really be the forefathers of the 1Addict ..! I have had many cars in my day, this just feels distinct!
Klaus, you are not alone in your feelings, this is gong to be a cult classic for BMW and marks their welcome return to small, drivers cars. :roundel:
Appreciate 0