BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #1
BimmerDave007
Rep
Drives:

01 z3M roady vs 1 series

I currently have an 01 M roady and I am trying to decide if I should trade it in for a 1 or mod the car I already have.

what are your opinions?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
Ryephile
Not a Newbie
Rep
Drives:

Wow, totally different kinds of Bimmers in my mind. I'd say keep the roadster and add the 1-er as a daily driver! Ok ok, you might not be able to do that. The 1-er will certainly work better as a daily driver if that's what you're looking for....or it'll be a quicker interstate rocket if you want that too. While you can mod out your M Roadster to handle/brake/sound better, you're probably not going to get a good return on money for power with the engine you have. That's where a 135i would kick butt; power and maintaining some fuel economy.

What are you goals here? Maybe we can help yet.
      11-26-2007, 05:17 AM   #3
JO3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a lot

That depends on whether or not you want a quick daily driver type car, or an all out sports car?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 07:48 AM   #4
BMWeber
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

the Z3 is very limited by the rear suspension. it would not take much to mod the 135i to be a faster better handling car. the 01 has the S54 right? so your not lacking in the power department but you can still get gobs more power out of the 135i for short money. I'd go for the 135i
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 07:58 PM   #5
BimmerDave007
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
That depends on whether or not you want a quick daily driver type car, or an all out sports car?

Maybe that is the trouble. I want a little bit of both, but more on the sports car side.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 08:20 PM   #6
BimmerDave007
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Wow, totally different kinds of Bimmers in my mind. I'd say keep the roadster and add the 1-er as a daily driver! Ok ok, you might not be able to do that. The 1-er will certainly work better as a daily driver if that's what you're looking for....or it'll be a quicker interstate rocket if you want that too. While you can mod out your M Roadster to handle/brake/sound better, you're probably not going to get a good return on money for power with the engine you have. That's where a 135i would kick butt; power and maintaining some fuel economy.

What are you goals here? Maybe we can help yet.
Are you saying the 1 is cheaper horsepower?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
Ryephile
Not a Newbie
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDave007 View Post
Are you saying the 1 is cheaper horsepower?
Definitely. The S54 is already really close to maxed out in NA mode; the only way to get significantly more power is to go supercharger or turbo. That means way more money for reinforced internals and a custom ECU setup. The 135i on the other hand, is an ECU flash or piggyback away from big power gains.
      11-26-2007, 09:36 PM   #8
BimmerDave007
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Definitely. The S54 is already really close to maxed out in NA mode; the only way to get significantly more power is to go supercharger or turbo. That means way more money for reinforced internals and a custom ECU setup. The 135i on the other hand, is an ECU flash or piggyback away from big power gains.
Yeah, but as far as true price goes... I already own the M roadster....
But aside from that point, the 1 scares me because the oil temperature issues. I love the potential power and ect, but the oil is soo hot. Have you seen the video when the 335i goes into limp mode?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 11:39 PM   #9
Ryephile
Not a Newbie
Rep
Drives:

Counterpoint: Have you seen the video where the S54 grenades into little tiny pieces?

See my point here? You can worry about early production issues all day long; in the end you'll still have a brand new warranty to help you out. Still worried? Wait a few more years for all the kinks to get ironed out...or just keep the //M Roady and hope the S54 stays together. FWIW, the 135i comes with an oil cooler in the right front bumper, similar to what the 335i is retrofitted with now.

Sidebar: The new turbo MINI Cooper S gets some complaints that the coolant temps are "hot". I had one when it first came out for a few months; drove the piss out of it on the racetrack passing all sorts of "faster" cars. Guess what? No overheating. Don't let the "one video" scare you into believing something is an epidemic when it's really only a random warranty failure.
      11-27-2007, 08:46 PM   #10
BimmerDave007
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Counterpoint: Have you seen the video where the S54 grenades into little tiny pieces?

See my point here? You can worry about early production issues all day long; in the end you'll still have a brand new warranty to help you out. Still worried? Wait a few more years for all the kinks to get ironed out...or just keep the //M Roady and hope the S54 stays together. FWIW, the 135i comes with an oil cooler in the right front bumper, similar to what the 335i is retrofitted with now.

Sidebar: The new turbo MINI Cooper S gets some complaints that the coolant temps are "hot". I had one when it first came out for a few months; drove the piss out of it on the racetrack passing all sorts of "faster" cars. Guess what? No overheating. Don't let the "one video" scare you into believing something is an epidemic when it's really only a random warranty failure.

I haven't seen the video, but I have heard of that happening. With the Roady, I would get the bearing work done before I modded it. As far as the 335i goes, that wasn't a random thing. It is well documented to be a problem with the 335i and I am afraid it will also happen with the 135i.

It would be cheaper to give the 135 a power boost for sure.
Appreciate 0